- Volume 13 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Seismic upgrading of reinforced concrete frames with steel plate shear walls
- Korkmaz, Hasan H. (Engineering Faculty, Civil Engineering Department, Selcuk University) ;
- Ecemis, Ali S. (Engineering Faculty, Civil Engineering Department, Selcuk University)
- Received : 2016.02.08
- Accepted : 2017.12.23
- Published : 2017.11.25
The objective of this paper is to report on a study of the use of unstiffened thin steel plate shear walls (SPSWs) for the seismic performance improvement of reinforced concrete frames with deficient lateral rigidity. The behaviour of reinforced concrete frames during seismic activities was rehabilitated with an alternative and occupant-friendly retrofitting scheme. The study involved tests of eight 1/3 scale, one bay, two storey test specimens under cyclic quasi-static lateral loadings. The first specimen, tested in previous test program, was a reference specimen, and in seven other specimens, steel infill plates were used to replace the conventional infill brick or the concrete panels. The identification of the load-deformation characteristics, the determination of the level of improvement in the overall strength, and the elastic post-buckling stiffness were the main issues investigated during the quasi-static test program. With the introduction of the SPSWs, it was observed that the strength, stiffness and energy absorption capacities were significantly improved. It was also observed that the experimental hysteresis curves were stable, and the composite systems showed excellent energy dissipation capacities due to the formation of a diagonal tension field action along with a diagonal compression buckling of the infill plates.
steel plate;lateral rigidity;earthquake;rehabilitation;reinforced concrete frame
Supported by : Selcuk University
- Akin, E. (2011), "Strengthening of brick infilled RC frames with CFRP reinforcement general principles", Ph.D. Dissertation, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Akin, E., Korkmaz, S.Z., Korkmaz, H.H., Diri, E. (2016), "Rehabilitation of infilled reinforced concrete frames with thin steel plate shear walls", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 30(4), 04015098. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000840
- Arslan, M.H. and Korkmaz, H.H. (2007), "What is to be learned from damage and failure of reinforced concrete structures during recent earthquakes in Turkey?", Eng. Fail. Anal., 14(1), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2006.01.003
- Berman, J.W., Lowes, L.N., Okazaki, T., Bruneau, M., Tsai, K.C., Driver, R.G. and Sabelli, R. (2008), "Research needs and future directions for steel plate shear walls", Structures Congress, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, April.
- Chen, S.J. and Jhang, C. (2006), "Cyclic behavior of low yield point steel shear walls", Thin Wall. Struct., 44, 730-738. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2006.08.002
- Chen, S.J. and Jhang, C. (2011), "Experimental study of low-yield-point steel plate shear wall under in-plane load", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67, 977-985. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.01.011
- Choi, I.R. and Park, H.G. (2011), "Cyclic loading test for reinforced concrete frame with thin steel infill plate", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 137, 654-664. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000317
- Dimova, S.L. and Negro, P. (2005), "Seismic assessment of an industrial frame structure designed according to eurocodes. Part 2: Capacity and vulnerability", Eng. Struct., 27, 724-735. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.12.009
- Emami, F., Mofid, M. and Vafai A. (2013), "Experimental study on cyclic behavior of trapezoidally corrugated steel shear walls", Eng. Struct., 48, 750-762. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.11.028
- Korkmaz, H.H. (2012), "Seismic performance improvement of reinforced concrete frames not designed according to TDY 2007 with external shear walls", Scientific Research Project, Selcuk University, Project no: 11101012, 1-300, Konya, Turkey.
- Korkmaz, H.H. (2016), "Strengthening of nonductile RC frames with steel plate shear walls", Scientific Research Project, Selcuk University, Project no: 15201025, 1-300, 2017, Konya, Turkey.
- Korkmaz, S.Z. (2015), "Observations on the Van Earthquake and structural failures", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 29(1), 1-25.
- Korkmaz, S.Z. and Korkmaz, H.H. (2015), "Use of steel plate shear walls for the lateral rigidity improvement of reinforced concrete frame", Life-Cycle of Structural Systems: Design, Assessment, Maintenance and Management, Taylor & Francis Group, London, UK.
- Korkmaz, S.Z., Kamanli, M., Korkmaz, H.H., Donduren, M.S. and Cogurcu, M.T. (2010), "Experimental study on the behaviour of nonductile infilled RC frames strengthened with external mesh reinforcement and plaster composite", Nat. Hazard. Earth Syst. Sci. Syst., 10, 2305-2316. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-10-2305-2010
- Lubell, A.S., Prion, H.G.L., Ventura, C.E. and Rezai, M. (2000), "Unstiffened steel plate shear wall performance under cyclic loading", J. Struct. Eng., 126, 453-460. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:4(453)
- Ozturk, M. (2015), "Field reconnaissance of the October 23, 2011, Van Earthquake: Lessons from structural damages", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 29(5), 21-35.
- Qu, B., Guo, X., Pollino, M. and Chi, H. (2013), "Effect of column stiffness on drift concentration in steel plate shear walls", J. Constr. Steel Res., 83, 105-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2013.01.004
- Seilie, I.F. and Hooper, J.D. (2005), "Steel plate shear walls: Practical design and construction", Modern Steel Construct., 45(4), 37-43.
- Sozen, M.A. (1987), "Toward a behaviour based design of reinforced concrete frames to resist earthquakes", Proceedings of the Ninth Technical Conference of Turkish Society of Civil Engineers, 1, Ankara, Turkey.
- Tsai, K.C. and Lin, Y.C. (2005), "Seismic performance of steel plate shear wall frames", Fourth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures ICASS-05, 2, Shanghai China, June.
- Zhao, Q. and Astaneh-Asl, A. (2008), "Experimental and analytical studies of a steel plate shear wall system", Structures Congress, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, April.