- Volume 22 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Study of Grandstanding According to the Types of Venture Capital in Korea
벤처캐피탈 유형과 기업 성과 관계 연구: 독립형벤처캐피탈과 기업형벤처캐피탈 비교연구
- Received : 2017.08.31
- Accepted : 2017.11.15
- Published : 2017.12.31
In this study, we argue from the Resource-Based View and Signaling Theory that Independent and Corporate VC firms have Different Impacts on time to IPO due to their Different Interests, Motivations, and Resources. Independent VC firms are primarily Financial Oriented, but Corporate VC firms generally are Strategic in Orientation. The results of this study indicate that the time to IPO is differentiated between Corporate VC firms and Independent VC firms. The results show that Independent VC firms have shorter the time to IPO compared to the time to IPO of Corporate VC firms. In addition, this study suggests that it is necessary for firms to select a venture capital that suits their situation and secure a competitive advantage. Using a sample of 300 IPOs from 2010 to 2016, we found Support for the Hypotheses that Independent VC and Corporate VC Ownership are Positively Associated with Time to IPO, whereas Time to IPO of Corporate VC Ownership is Longer than that of Independent VC Ownership.
- Gorman, M., and Sahlman, W. A, “What Do Venture Capitalists Do?,” Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 231-248, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0883-9026(89)90014-1
- Black, B. S., and Gilson, R. J, “Venture Capital and the Structure of Capital Markets: Banks versus Stock Markets,” Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 47, No. 3, pp. 243-277, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-405X(97)00045-7
- Smith, D. G, "The Exit Structure of Venture Capital." UCLa L. Rev., 53, 315, 2005.
- Chang, S. J, “Venture Capital Financing, Strategic Alliances, and the Initial Public Offerings of Internet Startups,” Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 721-741, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2003.03.002
- Gompers, P. A, “Grandstanding in the Venture Capital Industry,” Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 133-156, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(96)00874-4
- Hur, N. S., Yun, B. S. and Lee, G. H., “Articles : The Impact of the Certification Role of Venture Capitalists on IPOs in the KOSDAQ,” The Korean Journal of Financial Management, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 153-181, 2002.
- Maula, M., Autio, E., and Murray, G, “Corporate Venture Capitalists and Independent Venture Capitalists: What Do They Know, Who Do They Know and should Entrepreneurs Care?,” Venture Capital: An International Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 3-21, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1080/1369106042000316332
- Lee, Y. C., "Social Capital, Knowledge Management, and Organizational Performance," The Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 223-241, 2007
- Barney, J, “Firm Resources and Sustained Competitive Advantage,” Journal of Management, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 99-120, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639101700108
- Wernerfelt, B, “A Resource‐Based View of the Firm,” Strategic Management Journal, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 171-180, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250050207
- Megginson, W. L., and Weiss, K. A, “Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings,” The Journal of Finance, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 879-903, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1991.tb03770.x
- Lerner, J, "The Syndication of Venture Capital Investments," Financial Management, pp. 16-27, 1994.
- Carter, R. B., Dark, F. H., and Singh, A. K, “Underwriter Reputation, Initial Returns, and the Long‐Run Performance of IPO stocks,” The Journal of Finance, Vol. 53, No. 1, pp. 285-311, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/0022-1082.104624
- Heeley, M. B., Matusik, S. F., and Jain, N, “Innovation, Appropriability, and the Underpricing of Initial Public Offerings,” Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 209-225, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2007.24162388
- Lee, G. H., Kim, G. H. and Yun, B. S., “Articles : Aftermarket Performance of Initial Public Offerings of Corporate Venture Capital-Backed Companies,” The Journal of Small Business Innovation, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 75-105, 2003.
- Lim, E. C. and Kim, D. H., “Venture Capital Financing and Market Performance of Entrepreneurial Firms,” Asia Pacific Journal of Small Business, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 19-35, 2017.
- Arthurs, J. D., Hoskisson, R. E., Busenitz, L. W., and Johnson, R. A, "Managerial Agents Watching Other Agents: Multiple Agency Conflicts Regarding Underpricing in IPO Firms," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 51, No.2, pp. 277-294, 2008. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2008.31767256
- Sahlman, W. A, “The Structure and Governance of Venture-Capital Organizations,” Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 473-521, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(90)90065-8
- Gompers, P., and Lerner, J, “The Venture Capital Revolution,” The Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 145-168, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1257/jep.15.2.145
- Kim, H. J. and Chung, S. H., “Effects of the Public Venture Capital Syndication with the Private Venture Capital on Corporate Performance,” Asia Pacific Journal of Small Business, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 87-115, 2016.
- Hellmann, T., and Puri, M, “Venture Capital and the Professionalization of Start up Firms: Empirical Evidence,” The Journal of Finance, Vol. 57, No. 1, pp. 169-197, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-6261.00419
- Gompers, P., and Lerner, J, The Determinants of Corporate Venture Capital Success: Organizational Structure, Incentives, and Complementarities Concentrated Corporate Ownership, University of Chicago Press: pp. 17-54, 2000.
- Chesbrough, H. W, “Making Sense of Corporate Venture Capital,” Harvard Business Review, Vol. 80, No. 3, pp. 90-99, 2002.
- Macmillan, I., Roberts, E., Livada, V., and Wang, A, Corporate Venture Capital (CVC): Seeking Innovation and Strategic Growth, National Institute of Standards and Technology, US Department of Commerce, 2008.
- Hwang, S. D. and Lee, W. S., “The Effects of Dynamic Capabilities on the Technology Innovation Performances : Mediation Effect of Convergence Capabilities,” The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 85-103, 2016.
- Gompers, P. A., and Lerner, J, The Venture Capital Cycle: MIT Press, 2004.