- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Designing Test Methods for IT-Enabled Energy Storage System to Evaluate Energy Dynamics
- Kim, Young Gon (School of Information Technology, Incheon National University) ;
- Kim, Dong Hoon (School of Information Technology, Incheon National University) ;
- Lee, Eun-Kyu (School of Information Technology, Incheon National University)
- Received : 2017.03.28
- Accepted : 2017.07.01
- Published : 2017.12.31
With increasing interests in renewables, more consumers are installing an energy storage system (ESS) in their backyards, and thus, the ESS will play a critical role in the emerging smart grid. Due to mechanical properties, however its operational dynamics must be well understood before connecting the ESS to the smart grid (and eventually to an IT system). To this end, we investigate charging and discharging processes in detail. This paper, then, proposes methods for four type tests (state of charge test, conversion efficiency test, response time test, and ramp rate test) that can assess the dynamics of the ESS. The proposed methods can capture accurate delay values of mechanical processes in the ESS, and it is expected for those values to help design real-time communication systems in the smart grid involving the ESS.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- M. Lee, "Design of an intelligent system for autonomous groundwater management," Journal of Convergence, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 26-31, 2014.
- A. Pughat and V. Sharma, "A review on stochastic approach for dynamic power management in wireless sensor networks," Human-centric Computing and Information Sciences, vol. 5, article no. 4, 2015.
- S. Maity and J. H. Park, "Powering IoT devices: a novel design and analysis technique," Journal of Convergence, vol. 7, article ID. 16071001, 2016.
- X. Luo, J. Wang, M. Dooner, and J. Clarke, "Overview of current development in electrical energy storage technologies and the application potential in power system operation," Applied Energy, vol. 137, pp. 511-536, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.09.081
- A. A. Akhil, G. Huff, A. B. Currier, B. C. Kaun, D. M. Rastler, S. B. Chen, A. L. Cotter, D. T. Bradshaw, and W. D. Gauntlett, "DOE/EPRI 2013 electricity storage handbook in collaboration with NRECA," Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore, CA, Sandia Report SAND2013-5131, 2013.
- IEEE Standard Conformance Test Procedures for Equipment Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems, IEEE Standard 1547.1-2005.
- IEEE Recommended Practice for Emergency and Standby Power Systems for Industrial and Commercial Applications, IEEE Standard 446-1995.
- IEC 60050 International Electrotechnical Vocabulary [Online]. Available: http://std.iec.ch/iev/iev.nsf.