- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Proactive Personality and Knowledge Sharing: The Contrasting Effects of Leader-Member Exchange Social Comparison (LMXSC)
주도적 성격과 지식 공유: LMXSC의 상반된 조절효과 검증
- Received : 2017.08.01
- Accepted : 2017.11.22
- Published : 2017.12.31
This paper focuses on proactive personality as one of the main personality traits relevant to knowledge sharing and examines how this personal trait influences knowledge sharing behavior. Moreover, in order to consider the interactive effect between proactive personality and a contextual factor, this study utilized the construct of LMXSC which can reveal restoration of resource losses due to knowledge sharing. Because LMXSC can have opposite directions depending on used theories, this study investigates how LMXSC moderates the relationship between proactive personality and knowledge sharing behavior by using conservation of resources theory and trait activation theory. This study tests hypotheses with the data of supervisor-employee dyads in various industries. An empirical results showed that proactive personality increased knowledge sharing behavior and LMXSC strengthened the positive relationship between proactive personality and knowledge sharing behavior as conservation of resources theory predicts. Based on these theoretical arguments and empirical findings, this study suggests theoretical and practical implications, limitations, and the directions of future research.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- 강문상, 강성배, 신문봉 2011. "지식관리시스템의 성과에 영향을 미치는 요인에 관한 연구: 주관적 규범, 성격특성을 중심으로," 지식경영연구 (12:5), pp. 71-87.
- 김동영, 한인수 2004. "지식공유에 미치는 개인적, 조직적 영향요인에 관한 연구-대덕 연구단지 연구 개발 조직을 중심으로," 지식경영연구 (5:1), pp. 83-99.
- 김보영 2013. "수혜자 특징과 행위자의 이미지 향상동기가 동료 간 도움 행동에 미치는 영향: 자기지향적 관점을 중심으로," 경영학연구 (42:1), pp. 153-181.
- 김하연, 강대석, 원소정 2014. "위험 지각에 따른 지식공유: 이타적 행동인가, 속셈이 있는 행동인가?," 지식경영연구 (15:4), pp. 35-56. https://doi.org/10.15813/kmr.2014.15.4.003
- 이정호, 김영걸, 김민용 2006. "지식활동이 조직성과에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구: 지식창출 활동과 지식공유 활동을 중심으로," 지식경영연구 (7:1), pp. 13-30.
- 박문수, 문형구 2012. "지식공유의 영향요인: 연구 동향과 과제," 지식경영연구 (2:1), pp. 1217-1248.
- 정은지, 김성용, 안성익 2016. "자기효능감 및 주도적 성격이 지식공유의도에 미치는 녕향: 교환이데올로기 조절효과 중심," 2016년 한국대한경영학회 추계학술대회 논문집, pp. 441-457.
- Aiken, L. S., and West, S. G. 1991. Multiple Regression, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications Inc.
- Barrick, M. R., Mount, M. K., and Judge, T. A. 2001. "Personality and Performance at the Beginning of the New Millenium: What do We Know and Where do We Go Next," International Journal of Selection and Assessment (9:1-2), pp. 9-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-2389.00160
- Bateman, T. S.., and Crant, J. M. 1993. "The Proactive Component of Organizational Behavior: A Measure and Correlates," Journal of Organizational Behavior (14:2), pp. 103-118. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030140202
- Beaty, J. C., Cleveland, N. J., and Murphy, K. R. 2001. "The Relation between Personality and Contextual Performance in "Strong" versus "Weak" Situations," Human Performance (14:2), pp. 125-148. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327043HUP1402_01
- Bergeron, D. M.., Schroeder, T. D., and Martinez, H. A. 2014. "Proactive Personality at Work: Seeing More to Do and Doing More?," Journal of Business and Psychology (29:1), pp. 71-86. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-013-9298-5
- Cabrera, E. F., and Cabrera, A. 2002. "Knowledge-sharing Dilemmas," Organization Studies (23:5), pp. 687-710. https://doi.org/10.1177/0170840602235001
- Cabrera, A., Collins, W. C., and Salgado, J. F. 2006. "Determinants of Individual Engagement in Knowledge Sharing," International Journal of Human Resource Management (17:2), pp. 245-264. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585190500404614
- Chiaburu, D. S., Oh, I., Berry, C. M., Ning, L., and Gardner, R. G. 2011. "The Five-Factor Model of Personality Traits and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors," Journal of Applied Psychology (96:6), pp. 1140-1166. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0024004
- Christiansen, N. D., and Tett, R. P. 2008. "Toward a Better Understanding of the Role of Situations in Linking Personality, Work Behavior, and Job Performance," Industrial and Organizational Psychology (1:3), pp. 312-316. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-9434.2008.00054.x
- Cohen, J., Cohen, P., and Aiken, L. S. 2003. Applied Multiple Regression/ Correlation Analysis for the Behavioral Science (3rd Ed.), Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Crant, J. M. 2000. "Proactive Behavior in Organization," Journal of Management (26:3), pp. 435-462. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920630002600304
- Crawford, R., LePine, J. A., and Rich, B. L. 2010. "Linking Job Demands and Resources to Employee Engagement and Burnout: A Theoretical Extension and Meta-Analytic Test," Journal of Applied Psychology (95:5), pp. 834-848. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0019364
- Eienberge, R., Stinglhamber, F., Vandenberghe, C., Sucharski, I. J., and Rhoades, L. 2002. "Perceived Superviosr Support: Contributions to Perceived Organizational Support and Employee Retention," Journal of Applied Psychology (87:3), pp. 565-573. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.3.565
- Erdogan, B., and Bauer, T. N. 2005. "Enhancing Career Benefits of Employee Proactive Personality: The Role of Fit with Jobs and Organizations," Personnel Psychology (58:4), pp. 859-891. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2005.00772.x
- Festinger, L. 1954. "A Theory of Social Comparison Processes," Human Relations (7:2), pp. 117-140. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872675400700202
- Graen, G. B., and Ulh-Bien, M. 1995. "Relationship-based Approach to Leadership: Develoment of Leader-Member Exchange (LMX) Theory of Leadership over 25 Years: Applying a Multi-level Multi-domain Perpective," Leadership Quarterly (6:2), pp. 219-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(95)90036-5
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham,, R. L., Balck, W. C. 1998. Multivariate Data Analysis (5th Ed.), Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Halbesleben, J. R. 2006. "Sources of Social Support and Burnout: A Meta-analytic Test of the Conservation of Resources Model," Journal of Applied Psychology (91:5), pp. 1134-1145. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.91.5.1134
- Hobfoll, S. E. 1988. The Ecology of Stress, New York: Hemisphere.
- Hobfoll, S. E. 1989. "Conservation of Resources: A New Attempt at Conceptualizing Stress," American Psychologist (44:3), pp. 513-524. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.44.3.513
- Hobfoll, S. E. 2001. "The Influence of Culture, Comminity, and the Nested-self in the Stree Process: Advancing Conservation of Resources Theory," Applied Psychology (50:3), pp. 337-421. https://doi.org/10.1111/1464-0597.00062
- Kimeyer, S. L., and Douherty, T. W. 1998. "Workload, Tension, and Coping: Moderating Effects of Supervisor Support," Personnel Psychology (41:2), pp. 125-139.
- Lin, H-F. 2007. "Effects of Extrinc amd Intrinsic Motivation on Employee Knowledge Sharing Intentions," Journal of Information Science (33:2), pp. 135-149. https://doi.org/10.1177/0165551506068174
- Martin, R., Guilaume, Y., Thomas, G., Lee, A., and Epitropaki, O. 2016. "Leader-Member Exchange (LMX) and Performance: A Meta-Analytic Review," Personnel Pyschology (69:1), pp. 67-121. https://doi.org/10.1111/peps.12100
- Matzler, K., Renzl, B., Muller, J., Herting, S., and Mooradian, T. A. 2008. "Personality Traits and Knowledge Sharing," Journal of Econoicl Pyschology (29:3), pp. 301-313.
- Mischel, W. 1977. "The Interaction of Person and Situation," in D. Magnusson and N. S. Endler (Eds.), Personality and the Crossroads: Current Issues in Interactional Psychology (pp. 333-352), Hillsdael, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Inc.
- Nonaka, I. 1994. "A Dynamic Theory of Organizational Knowledge Creationi," Organization Science (5:1), pp. 14-37. https://doi.org/10.1287/orsc.5.1.14
- Oh, I., Kim, S., and Van Iddekinge, C. H. 2015. "Taking It to Another Level: Do Personality-based Human Capital Resources Matter to Firm Performance," Journal of Applied Psychology (100:3), pp. 957-947.
- Park, J., Chae, H., and Kim, H. 2017a. "The Need for Status as a Hidden Motive of Knowledge-sharing Behavior: An Application of Costly Signaling Theory," Human Performance (30:1), pp. 21-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/08959285.2016.1263636
- Park, J., Chae, H., and Kim, H. 2017b. "When and Why High Performers Feel Job Dissatisfaction: A Resource Flow Approach," Social Behavior and Personality (45:4), pp. 617-628. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.5877
- Parker, S. K., Bindl, U. K., and Strauss, K. 2010. "Making Things Happen: A Model of Proactive Motivation," Journal of Management (36:4), pp. 827-856. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206310363732
- Sedikides, C., and Strube, M. J. 1995. "The Multiply Motivated Self," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin (21:12), pp. 1330-1335. https://doi.org/10.1177/01461672952112010
- Seibert, S. E., Kraimer, M. L., and Crant, J. M. 2001. "What do Proactive People Do? A Longitudinal Model Linking Proactive Personality and Career Success" Peronnel Psychology (54:4), pp. 845-874. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.2001.tb00234.x
- Settoon, R. P., Bennett, N., and Liden, R. C. 1996. "Social Exchange in Organizations: Perceived Organizaitonal Support, Leader-Member Exchange, and Employee Reciprocity," Journal of Applied Psychology (81:3), pp. 219-227. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.81.3.219
- Stribastava, A., Bartol, K. M., and Locke, E. A. 2006. "Empowering Leadership in Management Teams: Effects on Knolwedge Sharing, Efficacy, and Performance," Academy of Management Journal (49:6), pp. 1239-1251. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2006.23478718
- Suls, J., Martin, R., and Wheeler, L. 2002. "Social Comparison: Why, With Whom, and With What Effect?," Current Directions in Psychological Science (11:5), pp. 159-163. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8721.00191
- Tett, R. P., and Guterman, H. A. 2000. "Situation Trait Relevance, Trait Expression, and Cross-Situational Consistency: Testing a Principle of Trait Activation," Journal of Research in Personality (34:4), pp. 397-423. https://doi.org/10.1006/jrpe.2000.2292
- Tett, R. P., and Guterman, H. A. 2003. "A Personality Trait-based Interactionist Model of Job Performance," Journal of Applied Psychology (88:3), pp. 500-517. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.88.3.500
- Thomas, G., Martin, R., Epitropaki, O., Guilaume, Y., and Lee, A. 2013. "Social Cognition in Leader-Follower Relationships: Applying Insights from Relationship Science to Understanding Relation-based Approaches to Leadership," Journal of Organizational Behavior (34:S1), pp. 63-81. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.1889
- Thomas, J. P., Whitman, D. S., and Viswesvaran, C. 2010. "Employee Proactivity in Organizations: A Comparative Meta-analysis of Emergent Proactive Constructs," Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology (83:2), pp. 275-300. https://doi.org/10.1348/096317910X502359
- Wang, S., and Noe, R. A. 2010. "Why Should U Share? Examining Social Capital and Knowledge Contribution in Electronic Networks of Practice" MIS Quarterly (29:1), pp. 35-57.
- Wasko, M. M., and Faraj, S. 2005. "Knowledge Sharing: A Review and Directions for Future Research" Human Resource Management Review (20:2), pp. 115-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrmr.2009.10.001
- Wood, J. V. 1989. "Theory and Research Concerning Social Comparison of Personal Attributes" Psychological Bulletin (106:2), pp. 231-248. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.106.2.231
- Vidyarthi, P. R., Liden, R. C., Anand, S., Erdogan, B., and Ghosh, S. 2010. "Wehre do I Stand? Examining the Effects of Leader-Member Exchange Social Comparision on Employee Work Behaviors," Journal of Applied Psychology (95:5), pp. 849-861. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0020033
- Yukl, G. A. 2012. Leadership in Organizations, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.