- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Antimicrobial activity against Propionibacterium acnes bacteria of Smilacis glabrae Rhizoma extracts
토복령 추출물의 여드름 균에 대한 항균활성
- Park, Jang-Soon (Dep. of Beauty Art, Songwon University) ;
- Kwon, Hye-Jin (Dep. of Chemical Engineering, Soongsil University)
- Received : 2017.10.11
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
This study was conducted to measure the antimicrobial activity and antiseptic effect of Smilax china root extracts against Propionibacterium acnes and to develop natural antimicrobial extracts as an alternative for synthetic preservatives, which have recently been controversial. Extracts were obtained from dried Korean Smilax china root at room temperature using two solvents, distilled water and 95% EeOH, separately. According to the results of this study, the antimicrobial effect of Propionibacterium acnes 3314 and Propionibacterium acnes 3320 against Propionibacterium acnes was outstanding. In particular, the clear zone of the extract using distilled water showed the highest activity with 16.61 mm. As for the result of the collection of contaminated skin sample, the clear zone was 24.48 mm. This indicates that Smilax china root extracts show a high activity against skin flora as well as a high antimicrobial activity against Propionibacterium acnes. In conclusion, it is confirmed that Smilax china root extracts can be used as raw materials for cosmetics that have antimicrobial activity and antiseptic effect, and it is expected that Smilax china root extracts will be used as basic materials for the development of future natural preservatives.
- J. Y. Park, J. S. Jin, H. Y. Kang, E. H. Jeong, J. C. Lee, Y. C. Lee, S. Y. Seol, D. T. Cho, J. Kim, "A comparison of adult and pediatric methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates collected from patients at a university hospital", J. of the Microbiol, Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 447-452, 2007.
- S. H. Eom, J. H. Park, D. U. Yu, J. L. Choi, J. D. Choi, M. S. Lee and Y.M. Kim, "Antimicrobial activity of brown alga Eisenia bicyclis against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus", J. of the ish Aquat. Sci. Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 251-256, 2011.
- J. W. Bae, "Recent Methodological Approaches to Human Microbiome Applied Korean J. Bacteriol and Virology", Vol. 41, No. 1 pp. 1-7, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4167/jbv.2011.41.1.1
- T. S. Lee, E. H. Han, "Volatile flavor components in mash of takju prepared by using Rhizopus japonicus nuruk Applied Korean J. Food Sci. Technol", Vol. 151, No. 3 pp. 691-698. 2000.
- S. J. Wang, H. J. Lee, J. Y. Cho, K. H. Park, J. H. Moon, "Isolation and Identification of Antioxidants from Makgeolli Applied Korean J Food Sci Technol", Vol. 44, No. 1 pp. 14-20, 2012. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.1.014
- E. H. Han, T. S. Lee, B. S. Noh, D. S. Lee, "Quality characteristics in mash of Takju prepared by using different Nuruk during fermentation Applied Korean J Food Sci Technol", Vol. 29, No. 3 pp. 555-562, 1997.
- M. J. Kim, "The research about Scalp treatments by self-recognition of adult's losing hair", J. of the Korea Convergence Society. Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 21-27, 2012.
- H. J. Jeon, H. J. Kwon, "Anti-inflammation Effect of Gynura Procumbens extract Applied Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 515-520, 2016.
- C. H. Song, Y. H. Lim, M. K. Choe, H. J. Kim, "Screening of Antimicrobial Activity and Bioactivity Effects are Herbal Medicine Extracts of Acne", J. of the Korea Immuno Yakchim Society. Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 9-17, 2014.
- L. W. Chi, C. H. Lee, "Anti-microbial Activities of Fifty-nine Evergreen Woody Species against Propionibacterium acnes", Korean Journal of Plant Research. Vol. 3, No. 2, p. 239, 2013.
- H. S. Seo, S. H. Kim, J. S. Kim, J. J. Han, J. H. Ryu, "Control of Kimchi Fermentation by the Addition of Natural Antimicrobial Agents Originated from Plants", KOREAN J. FOOD SCI. TECHNOL. Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 583-589, 2013. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.5.583
- E. J. Kim, Y. J. Jeon, "In-vitro Cytotoxicity Testing of Polyethylene and Polystyrene Cup Noodle Containers", Master's Thesis Chosun Univ. 2014.
- H. J. Kwon, Y. J. Kim, S. H. Jang, B. K. Bae, H. Y. Youn, H. W. Lee, "Stimulatory Effect of Staphylococcal Protein A on Inflammatory Response in Human HaCaT Keratinocytes", The Korean journal of microbiology Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 384-355, 2011.
- H. J. Kim, "Antimicrobial effects of extracts of Teraxacum officinale H. on acne strains. MS", Master's Thesis Kyonggi Univ. 2011.
- H. K. Cho, J. Y. Lee, W. T. Seo, M. K. Kim, K. M. Cho, "Quality characteristics and antioxidant effects during Makgeolli fermentation by purple sweet potato-rice nuruk Applied Korean J Food Sci Technol", Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 728-735, 2012. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2012.44.6.728