- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Recognition and Application Factors of College Students on Complementary and Alternative Medicine
보완대체의학에 대한 대학생의 인식 및 적용요인에 관한 연구
- Received : 2017.10.17
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of this study was to find out how to apply CAM to college students by studying the perceptions and application factors of CAM, the actual condition of application, satisfaction according to sex, and usefulness. The subjects of this study are narrative research on H university students in Chungnam. The results of this study showed that 150(50.3%) respondents recognized CAM as an auxiliary means of modern medicine, 61(20.3%) mental and psychological stability (33.7%), and the satisfaction rate of CAM according to gender was higher in women than in men. The usefulness of CAM was 2.60, and the improvement and characteristics were 2.32 and 2.80, respectively. As a result of this study, it is necessary for university students who are the foundation of society to correctly recognize and promote CAM to prevent disease and maintain health. In addition, the analysis of the recognition and application factors of CAM, and the satisfaction according to gender, could provide information for program development of CAM in the future.
Complementary medicine;Alternative medicine;Integrative medicine;CAM;Healthcare
- H. G. Hall, D. Griffiths, L. G. McKenna, "Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Interaction and Communication Between Midwives and Women", Women and Birth, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 137-14, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2014.12.003
- D. W. Sibbritt, C. J. Catling, J. Adams, A. J. Shaw, C. S. E. Hom, "The Self-prescribed Use of Aromatherapy Oils by Pregnant Women", Women and Birth", Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 41-45, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2013.09.005
- S. A. Shorofi, P. A. D, "Cplementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) among Australian Hospital-based Nurses: knowledge, Attitude, Personal and Professional Use, Reasons for Use, CAM Referrals, and Socio-demographic Predictors of CAM Users," Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, Vol. 27, pp. 37-45, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2017.03.001
- D. Barraco, G. Valencia, A. L. Riba, S. Nareddy, S. M. Schwartz, "Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Use Patterns and Disclosure to Physicians in Acute Coronary Syndromes Patients＂, Complementary Therapies in Medicine, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 34-40, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2005.02.003
- H. Hall, M. Leach, C. Brosnan, M. Collins, "Nurses' Attitudes Towards Complementary Therapies: A Systematic Review and Meta-synthesis", International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 69, pp. 47-56, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2017.01.008
- C. B. Groenewald, S. E. Beals-Erickson, J. Ralston-Wilson, J. A. Rabbitts, T. M. Palermo, "Medicine Use by Children with Pain in the United States", Academic Pediatrics, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 785-793, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2017.02.008
- S. Dimitrelis, L. Perry, R. Gallagher, C. Duffield, X. Xu, "Does Nurses' Role, Health or Symptoms Influence Their Personal Use of Ingestible Complementary and Alternative Medicines?", Complementary Therapies in Medicine, Vol. 35, pp. 39-46, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2017.08.017
- E. B. Oberg, M. S. Thomas, M. McCarty, J. Berg, R. Bradley, "Older Adults' Perspectives on Naturopathic Medicine's Impact on Healthy Aging", EXPLORE: The Journal of Science and Healing, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 34-43, 2014.
- Y. H. Kim, "A study on Nursing Students' Attitudes Toward Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)," Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 276-285, 2004.
- F. Fewell, K. Mackrodt, "Awareness and Practice of Complementary Therapies in Hospital and Community Settings within Essex in the United Kingdom", Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 130-136, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctnm.2004.08.005
- H. J. Kim, S. G. Hong, "Nursing Students' Recognition of Complemental Alternative Medicine and Actual Condition of Use (Object of study: Nursing students in Jeollanam-do Province)", The Korean journal of complementary and alternative medicine, Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 1-9, 2014.
- X. L.Samantha, H. G. Williams, J. Martin, L. Vitetta, "Use of Complementary and Alternative Medicines in People with Depression and Central Obesity: Findings from a Tai Chi and Qigong study", Journal of Traditional Chinese Medical Sciences, pp. 1-10, 2017.
- Y. I. Park, M. S. Song, O. H. Ahn, S. O. Yang, I. S. Lee,. H. S. Hyun, "The Attitude, Use and Adverse Effects of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Therapies among Vulnerable, Community Dwelling Old Adults", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 1-11, 2014. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2014.25.1.1
- K. Templeman, A. Robinson, L. McKenna," Complementary medicine teaching in Australian medical curricula: The student perspective", Collegian, Vol. 488, pp. 1-7, 2017.
- S. Stubblefield, "Survey of Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Pediatric Inpatient Settings", Complementary Therapies in Medicine, Vol. 35, pp. 712-718, 2017.