- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Relationships among Incivility, Coping, Career Identity and Burnout in Nursing Students during Clinical Practice
간호대학생이 임상실습에서 경험하는 무례함, 대처, 진로정체감 및 소진의 관계
- Kim, Ji-Seon (Department of Nursing, Chosun University, Christian College of Nursing)
- 김지선 (조선대학교 일반대학원 간호학과, 기독간호대학교)
- Received : 2017.09.13
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The Purpose of this study was to identify the relationship among incivility, coping, burnout and career identity to clinical practice. The subjects were 199 nursing students from two college in Gwang-ju. A self-report questionnaire was used to collect data on incivility, coping, career identity and burnout. The data was analyzed using descriptive statistics, Pearson correlation coefficient, independent t-test, ANOVA, and Multiple regression by SPSS ver. 23.0. 87.9% of subjects experiences incivility in clinical practice. Incivility was positively correlated with burnout(r=.27, p<.001). but Incivility was nagatively correlated with career identity(r=-.24, p=.001). Career identity was nagatively correlated with burnout(r=-.62, p<.001). The predictors on burnout were incivility, coping and career identity. These variables have total explanatory power of 48.6% on burnout.
- L. M. Andersson, C. M. Pearson, Tit for that thespiraling effect of incivility in the workplace. Academy of Management Review, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 452-471, 1999. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1999.2202131
- L. M. Cortina, V. J. Magley, J. H. Williams, & R. D. Langhout, Incivility in the workplace: Incidence and impact. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 64-80, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/1076-89220.127.116.11
- S. A. Hutton, Workplace incivility: State of the science. Journal of Nursing Administration. Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 22-28, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200601000-00006
- H. J. Kwon, The medical institution within the nurses face verbal abuse. The Korean Nurse. Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 34-39, 2007.
- S. Y. Kim, J. K. Kim & K. O. Park, Path Analysis for Workplace Incivility, Empowerment, Burnout, and Organizational Commitment of Hospital Nurses, Journal of Korean Academic Nurse Administration, Vol. 19 No. 5, pp. 555-564, 2013. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2013.19.5.555
- S. Lim, L. M. Cortina & V. J. Magley, Personal and workgroup incivility: Impact on work and health outcomes, Journal of Applied Psycholog, Vol. 93, No. 1, pp. 95-107, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.93.1.95
- Y. K. Hong, Y. H. Kim & H. M. Son, Effect of Nurses' Incivility Experienced by Nursing Student, Coping on Burnout in Clinical Practice, Journal of Korean Academic Nurse Administration, Vol. 22 No. 4, pp. 323-331, 2016. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.4.323
- J. Curtis, I. Bowen & A. Reid, You have no credibility: Nursing students' experiences of horizontal violence, Nurse Education in Practice. Vol. 7 No. 3, pp. 156-163, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2006.06.002
- R. S. Lazarus, S. Folkman, Stress, appraisal and coping, J. H. Kim, translator, Seoul, Daegwang, 1983.
- D. Z. Fang, C. B. Young, S. Golshan, C. Mourtier & S. Zisook, Burnout in premedical undergraduate students, Academic Psychiatry. vol. 36, no. 1, pp11-16, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1192/pb.bp.111.034819
- J. G. Kim, J. H. Yoo & E. Y Cheon, Relationship among Incivility, Burnout, Coping and Satisfaction to Clinical Practice experienced by Nursing College Students in Clinical Practice, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 18, No. 1 pp. 316-324, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.1.316
- A. Rudman, J. P. Gustavsson, Burnout during nursing education predicts lower occupational preparedness and future clinical performance: A longitudinal study, International Journal of Nursing Studies. Vol. 49, No. 8 pp. 988-1001, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.03.010
- J. L. Holland, D. C. Gottfredson, & P. G. Power, Some diagnostic scales for research in decision making and personality: identity, information, and barriers, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.39, No.6, pp.1191-1200, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077731
- H. Cho, G. Y. Lee, Self-Eseem and Carer identitof Nursing Student. Journal of Korea Academy of Public Healh Nursing, Vol.20, No.2, pp.163-173, 2006.
- Korean Nurse Association, Is good the government's demand-supply of nurse? Nursing Policy Hot Issue I. The Korean Nurse, 52, 17-20, 2014.
- Korean Hospital Nurses Association, Survey on nursing staffing status, Korean Hospital Association, Seoul, 2016.
- M. K. Jeon, J. W. Oh, Relationship Between Rudeness, Burnout, Major Satisfaction and Self-efficacy which Nursing Students Experience During Clinical Practice, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 339-346, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.339
- M. Anthony, J. Yastik, D. A. MacDonald & K. A. Marshall, Development and validation of a tool to measure incivility in clinical nursing education. Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol.30, No.1, pp.48-55, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2012.12.011
- S. O. Jo, J. Oh, Validity and Reliability of the Korean Version of a Tool to Measure Uncivil Behavior in Clinical Nursing Education, Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 22 No. 4, pp. 537-548, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.537
- H. J. Shin, C. D. Kim, A validation study of coping strategy indicator(CSI). Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 919-935, 2002.
- J. L. Holland, D. C. Daiger, & P. G. Power, My vocational situation, Palo Alto, CA, Counseling Psychology, Press. 1980.
- B. W. Kim, K. H. Kim, Career Decision Level and Career Preparation Behavior of the College Students, The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol.9 No.1, pp. 311-333, 1997,
- Y. H. Kwon, C. N. kim, Effects of a Ready Planned Self Growh Program through MBTI on Interperonal Relationships and he Career Identiy of Nursing College Students, Journal of Korean Community Nursing, Vol. 13, No 2, pp. 216-229, 2002.
- S. H. Lee, E. J. Cha, Effects of Verbal Abuse, Sexual Violence, Depression, and Self-Esteem on Career Identity in Nursing Students during Clinical Training, The Korea Contents Association, Vol. 17 No. 4, p550-560, 2017. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2017.17.01.550
- T. Ferns, L. Meerebeau, Verbal abuse experienced by nursing students, Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 61, No.4, pp. 436-444, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04504.x
- Y. H. Jung, K. H. Lee, Effect of Verbal Abuse Experience, Coping Style and Resilience on Emotional Response and Stress During Clinical Practicum among Nursing Students, Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 391-399, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.391
- K. H. Kim, Correlation of Stress-coping, Humor Sense, and Adaptation to College of Baccalaureate Nursing Students, The Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp 301-313, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2014.14.03.301
- Y. J. Son, H. H. Gong, M. A. You & S. S. Kong, Relationship between Workplace Violence Experience and Postraumatic Stress Sympom, Resilience in Clinical Nurse, Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 17, No. 1(B), pp. 515-530, 2015.
- J. H. Oh, O. S. Kim & K. L. Lee, Exposure to Violence and Coping Behavior during the Clinical Practice of Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 8, pp. 5325-5335, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5325
- Y. J. Kim, Type of Coping with Stress of Nursing Students, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 29-39, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2014.5.3.029
- S. J. Lee, J. S. Kim, Convergence study on Relationship among Verbal violence experience, Verbal violence impact and Burnout in Operating Room Nurses, Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp. 85-96, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.085