- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Analysis on the Participation Motivation of Billiard Players
당구 선수들의 참여 동기에 관한 연구
- Park, Ji-Su (Division of Sport Science, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Choi, Jae-Won (Division of Sport Science, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Kang, Sung-Goo (Division of Sport Science, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2017.10.20
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
This study is devoted to investigating participation motivations of billiard players who join games through open-ended questionnaires, and identify the difference of participation motivations in the game according to age and experience. Thus, 696 original data on participation motivations was obtained from 267 billiard players in Gyeonggi-do based on open-ended questionnaires. Results from inductive analysis are as follows. First, their participation motivations included 10 general sectors such as interests, objective achievement motive, competition, interpersonal relationship, mental health, job, gambling, sport competence, suggestion by others, and university admission. Second, enjoyment showed the highest percents among participation motivations according to participants' age. Third, interest showed the highest percents among participation motivations in less than five years of their experiences. Objective achievement motive was the highest portion for more than five years. These outcomes will be used as a basic data to understand the relationship of billiard players who participate in the game and further create better billiard game culture.
Billiard;Billiard Player;Participation motivation;Open-ended questionnaire;Inductive content Analysis
- S. Y. Shin. S. H. Park. "A Meta-Analysis of Employees's Job Burnout and Turnout Intention in Sports Service Industry." Korean J. of Sport Management. Vol. 19, No. 6, pp. 29-48, 2014.
- Sage, G. H., "Introduction to motor behavior: A neuropsychological approach." Addison-Wesley Pub. Co.. 1971.
- C. Su. Yuel.., "The effect of general adults' expectation on Taekwondo education.", Kyunghee University, Master Thesis, 2004.
- Ashford, B., Biddle, S., & Goudas, M. "Participation in community sports centres: motives and predictors of enjoyment", J. of Sports Sciences, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 249-256, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640419308729992
- Serpa, S., (Ed.), "Contemporary Sport Psychology." Proceedings from the 6th World Congress of Sport Psychology, 261-262. Orebro, 1986.
- Scanlan, T. K., Stein, G. L., & Ravizza, K. "An in-depth study of former elite figure skaters: II. Sources of enjoyment", J. of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 65-83, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.11.1.65
- Deci, E. L., & Ryan, R. M. "The general causality orientations scale: Self-determination in personality", J. of research in personality, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 109-134, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-6566(85)90023-6
- Duda, J. L., & Nicholls, J. G. "Dimensions of achievement motivation in schoolwork and sport", J. of educational psychology, Vol. 84, No. 3, pp. 290, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1990
- Roberts, G. C., & Roberts, G. C." Motivation in sport and exercise." Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Books. 1992.
- Gill, D. L., Gross, J. B., & Huddleston, S. "Participation motivation in youth sports", International J. of sport psychology. 1983.
- Klint, K. A., & Weiss, M. R. "Perceived competence and motives for participating in youth sports: A test of Harter's competence motivation theory", J. of sport Psychology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 55-65, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsp.9.1.55
- C. H. Seong, B. J. Kim. "In-depth Analysis of Participation Motivation Among Middle School Athltes", Korean J. of Sport Psychology. Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 153-171, 1996.
- M. H. Yang. "Determinants and Promoting Guidelines of Exercise Adherence", J. of Sport Science, Vol. 5, pp. 67-78, 1999.
- J. W. Choi, D. Y. Park. "An Analysis about Participation Motive of the Audience for Pro-Golf", Korea sport research, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 1747-1757, 2004.
- Clough, P., Shepherd, J., & Maughan,.,"Motives for participation in recreational running", J. of Leisure Research. Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 297, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1080/00222216.1989.11969806
- Sapp, M., & Haubenstricker, J. "Motivation for joining and reasons for not continuing in youth sport programs in Michigan", In Kansas City, MO: Paper presented at the annual meeting for the American Alliance for Health, Ohysical Education, Recreation, and Dance. 1978.
- H. K. Jo, D. W. Yook, J. T. Shin, J. S. Lee. "The Development and Validation of psychological Skills inventory for Top level Billiard Players", Korean Society of Sport Psychology Vol. 24, No. 1, pp.131-150, 2013.
- J. W. Choi, S. G. Kang. K. D. Kang, H. Y. Jung, M. U. Chun. "An In-depth Analysis on Youth's E-sports Participation Motivation", J. of Sport and Leisure Studies, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 621-634, 2011.
- B. J. Kim, J. S. Kim. "Sources of Stress in Competitive Youth Sport in Korea", J. of Sport Psychology, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 33-49, 1998.
- Brodkin, P., & Weiss, M. R. "Developmental differences in motivation for participating in competitive swimming." J. of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 248-263, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.12.3.248
- Gould, D., & Petlichkoff, L. "Participation motivation and attrition in young athletes", Children in sport, pp. 161-178, 1988.
- Scanlan, T. K., Stein, G. L., & Ravizza, K. "An in-depth study of former elite figure skaters: II. Sources of enjoyment." J. of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 65-83, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.11.1.65
- J. H. Jun, J. W. Woo, J. W. Hwang,, G. S. Moon. "The Casual Relation among Fun, Exercise Addiction, Leisure Satisfaction of Billiard Participants", Korean J. of Wellness, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 85-96, 2015.
- E. S. Yi. "Exercise Motivations of the Participated in Screen Golf-Involvement, Fun, and presence Factors", Korean J. of Leisure and Recreation, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 73-83, 2009.
- W. I. Lee. "The Qualitative Study Value of Leisure Sports for Billiard", J. of leisure & Wellness, Vol.2, No.3, pp.11-19, 2011
- J. H. Lee, W. I. Song, B. W. Ahn. "Differences in Leisure Benefits based on Disposition of Participation in a Billiard Activity", The Korean J. of Sport, Vol 9, No 3, pp. 123-136, 2011.