- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Perceived Stress, Sleep Quality and Subjective Happiness on the Wellness Lifestyle among Adults
성인의 지각된 스트레스, 수면의 질, 주관적 행복감이 웰니스 생활양식에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2017.08.23
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of this study was to identify the relationship between perceived stress, sleep quality and subjective happiness on wellness lifestyle among adults. A cross-sectional survey was conducted with a convenience sample of 390 adults in Gyeung-gi province. The structured questionnaire included such factors measuring perceived stress, sleep quality, subjective happiness and wellness lifestyle. The factors that affecting wellness lifestyle among adults are subjective happiness, sleep quality, age and perceived stress, which explained 34% of the variances. The score of each category measuring level of wellness lifestyle were like this: spiritual wellness 3.60, intellectual wellness 3.58, social wellness 3.51, emotional wellness 3.41, physical wellness 2.94. Therefore, subjective happiness was found to be the predictor for wellness lifestyle. It needs to develop and operate intervention program for health maintenance and promotion for adults.
- S. H. Cho, M. K. Choi, J. H. Lee, & H. W. Cho, "Relationship between expectations regarding aging and physical activity among middle aged adults in urban areas: based on the pender's health promotion model", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. Vol. 45, No. 1, pp14-24, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.1.14 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.1.14
- S. K. Kim, "Development of lifestyle assessment inventory for wellness of korean adults" The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 963-982, 2000.
- S. N. Walker, K. R. Sechrist, & N. J. Pender, The Health Promoting Lifesyle Profile II. College of Nursing University of Nebraska Medical Center; 1995.
- Y. J. Jang, Y. J. Kwon, "A longitudinal study on wellness's sub-factors and trajectory of school-aged children : focusing on parent-related and individual factors", Journal of the Korean So-ciety for Wellness. Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 249-263, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2016.08.11.3.249 https://doi.org/10.21097/ksw.2016.08.11.3.249
- K. J. Chung, & B. J. Jang, "A study on the spiritual wellness, psychological happiness, subjective happiness and quality of life of hotel users: focusing on super deluxe hotel in busan", Korean Journal of Hotel Administration. Vol. 23, No. 6, pp. 253-269, 2014.
- K. S. Han, "Perceived stress, ways of coping, symptoms of stress in the patients with chronically ill patients", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 87-94, 2003. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.1.87
- S. J. Lee, S. I. Kim, P. S. Lee, S. Y. Kim, E. S. Park, Y. J. Park, H. S. Ryu, S. O. Chang, & K. S. Han, "Construct a structural model for health promoting behavior of chronic illness", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 62-76, 2002. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.1.62
- K. S. Han, "Self efficacy, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress among university students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp. 585-592, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.3.585
- H. J. Choi, B. M. Kim, & I .J. Kim, "Prevalence and risk factors of sleep disturbance in community dwelling adults in korea", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 183-193, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.2.183
- Cappuccio, F. P., D'Elia, L., Strazzulo, P., & Miller, M. A. "Sleep duration and all-cause mortality : a systematic review and meta-analysis of prospective studies", Sleep, Vol. 33, pp. 585-592, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/33.5.585
- S. W. Shin, & S. H. Kim, "Influence of health-promoting behaviors on quality of sleep in rotating-shift nurses", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental of Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 123-130. 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.2.123 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.2.123
- M. J. Choi, D. H. Lee, & H. S. Ahn, "A study on relationship between wellness, subjective happiness and quality of life of salaried persons", Journal of Digital Convergence. Vol. 12, No. 11, pp. 597-606, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.597 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.11.597
- L. S. Dong, The effect of middle-aged women's participation in daily exercises on the wellness index and subjective happiness. Changwon University, Unpublished Master's thesis, 2012.
- C. Y. Choi, & H. C. Cho, "The effect of degree of senior exercise participation on wellness", Journal of the Korean society for Wellness, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 13-21, 2012.
- S. K. Kim, K. H. Ka, & G. U. Lee, "A study on the wellness lifestyle of university students in korea", The Center of Korean Health Promotion, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 67-75, 2004.
- K. S. Kim, A study on the wellness lifestyle of salaried persons. Kyung Woon University, Unpublished master's thesis, 2005.
- S. L. Cho, & E. J. Kim, "Effects of obesity management exercise on body composition, wellness and happiness index of middle-aged women", The Korea Journal of Sports Science, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 253-263, 2010.
- Cohen, S., Kamarck, T., & Mermelstein, R. "A global measure of perceived stress", Journal of Health and Social Behavior", Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 385-396, 1983. https://doi.org/10.2307/2136404
- J. E. Lee, The effects of self-complexity and self-efficacy on depression and perceived stress. Ajou University, Unpublished master's thesis. 2005.
- Tarrasch, R., Laudon, M., & Zisapel, N. "Cross-cultural validation of the leeds sleep evaluation questionnaire(LSEQ) in insomnia patients", Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical & Experimental, Vol. 18, No. 8, pp. 603-610, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/hup.534
- H. J. Choi, S. J. Kim, B. M. Kim, & I. J. Kim, "Korean versions of self-reported sleep questionnaires for research and practice on sleep disturbance", Korean Journal of Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 1-10, 2012. https://doi.org/10..7587/kjrehn.2012.1. https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2012.1
- Lyubomirsky, S., & Lepper, H. S. "A measure of subjective happiness: preliminary reliability and construct validation", Social Indicators Research, Vol. 46, pp. 137-155, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006824100041
- J. S. Lim, The relationships of a self-enhancement bias, life events and subjective well-being In old-adults. Ewha Womans University, Unpublished master's thesis, 2004.
- Anspaugh, D. J., Hamrick, M. H., & Rosata, F. D. Wellness: concepts and application. St. Louis, MI: Mosby, 1994.
- M. R. Kim, Study of psychiatric nurses' quality of life and their wellness. Ewha Wamans University, Unpublished Master's thesis, 2009.
- S. K. Kim, K. H. Ka, C. H. Han, & M. C. Shin, "A study on the wellness lifestyle of salaried persons", The Center of Korean Health Promotion, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 39-50, 2004.
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, Health behavior and chronic disease statistics in 2015, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, 2016. https://knhanes.cdc.go.kr/knhanes/index.do
- Y. S. Lee, "The Effect of Public Health Center Program participation on Metabolic Syndrome and Risk of Disease in Middle-aged and Elderly Women", Journal of the Korean Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 6, pp. 317-325, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.317 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.317
- Y. J. Son, "The Relationship among trait anger, health-related lifestyles and physical symptoms in Adults", Korean Journal of Health Promotion. Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 197-205, 2005.
- M. K. Lee, A. Jo, S. O. Lim, "Community Health Convergence through Analysis of Chronic Disease Influencing Factors -Focusing on 30-40s Adults in Sejong City-", Journal of the Korean Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 127-135, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.5.127 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.5.127
- D. G. Lee, The relationship between wellness and subjective happiness of sport Leisure participants. In-Ha University, Unpublished master's thesis, 2013.
- H. Lee, "Sleep quality and its associated factors in adults", Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 76-88, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.1.76 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.1.76
- Edell-Gustafsson, U. M., Kritz, E. I., & Bogren, I. K. "Self reported sleep quality, strain and health in relation to perceived working conditions in females", Scandinavian Journal of Caring Science, Vol. 16, pp. 179-187, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1471-6712.2002.00078.x
- N. Y. Kim, & M. S. Shim, "A study on health promoting lifestyle and its affecting factors of general hospital worker", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 728-735, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.4.728