- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
MR Haptic Device for Integrated Control of Vehicle Comfort Systems
차량 편의장치 통합 조작을 위한 MR 햅틱 장치
- Received : 2017.10.20
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
In recent years, the increase of secondary controls within vehicles requires a mechanism to integrate various controls into a single device. This paper presents control performance of an integrated magnetorheological (MR) haptic device which can adjust various in-vehicle comfort instruments. As a first step, the MR fluid-based haptic device capable of both rotary and push motions within a single device is devised as an integrated multi-functional instrument control device. Under consideration of the torque and force model of the proposed device, a magnetic circuit is designed. The proposed MR haptic device is then manufactured and its field-dependent torque and force are experimentally evaluated. Furthermore, an inverse model compensator is synthesized under basis of the Bingham model of the MR fluid and torque/force model of the device. Subsequently, haptic force-feedback maps considering in-vehicle comfort functions are constructed and interacts with the compensator to achieve a desired force-feedback. Control performances such as reflection force are experimentally evaluated for two specific comfort functions.
Magnetorheological Fluid;Vehicle Comfort Device;Integrated Control;Haptic Device;Inverse Model Compensator;Force-feedback Control
- Holland, K. L., Williams, R. L., Conatser, R. R., Howell, J. N. and Cade, D., 2004, "The Implementation and Evaluation of a Virtual Haptic Back", Virtualreality of the Journal of the Virtual Reality Society, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 94-102. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10055-003-0118-5
- An, J. and Kwon, D. S., 2002, "Haptic Experimentation on a Hybrid Active/Passive Force Feedback Device", Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 4, pp. 4217-4222.
- Shin, K. W. C., Han, J. H., 2017, "Qualitative Exploration on Children's Interactions in Telepresence Robot Assisted Language Learning", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 177-184. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.3.177
- Bengtsson, P., Grane, C., Isaksson, J., 2003, "Haptic/Graphic Interface for In-vehicle Comfort Functions - a Simulator Study and an Experimental Study", Proceedings of The 2nd IEEE International Workshop on Haptic, Audio and Visual Environments and Their Applications, pp. 25-29.
- Choi, S. B., Hong, S. R. and Cheong C. C. and Park, Y. K., 1999, "Comparison of Field-Controlled Characteristics between ER and MR Clutches", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol.10, No.8, pp.615-619. https://doi.org/10.1106/217G-CEUN-Q710-AB60
- Neelakantan, V. A. and Washington, G. N., 2005, "Modeling and Reduction of Centrifuging in Magnetorheological (MR) Transmission Clutches for Automotive Applications", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 16, No. 9, pp. 703-712. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X05054329
- Jolly, M. R., Bender, J. W., Carlson, J. D., 1997, "Properties and Applications of Commercial Magnetorheological Fluids", the International Society for Optical Engineering, Vol. 3327, pp. 262-275.
- Lee, H. S., Choi, S. B., 2001, "Control and Response Characteristics of a Magneto-Rheological Fluid Damper for Passenger Vehicles", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 80-87.
- Hong, S. R., Choi, S. B., Jung, W. J., Jeong , W. B., 2003, "Vibration Isolation of Structural Systems Using Squeeze-Mode ER Mounts", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 13, No. 7/8, pp. 421-424.
- Ginder, J. M. and Ceccio, S. L., 1995, "Effect of Electrical Transients on the Shear Stresses in Electrorheological Fluids", Journal of Rheology, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 211-234. https://doi.org/10.1122/1.550682
- Kang, P. S., Han, Y. M., Choi, S. B., 2006 "Force Feedback Control of an Electrorheological Haptic Device in MIS Virtual Environment", Transactions of KSNVE, Vol. 16. No. 12, pp. 1286-1293. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2006.16.12.1286
- Vitrani, M. A., 2006, "Torque Control of Electrorheological Fluidic Resistive Actuators for Haptic Vehicular Instrument Controls", American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 128, pp. 216-226.
- Li, W.H., 2004, "Magnetorheological Fluids based Haptic Device", Emerald Sensor Review, Vol. 24, pp. 68-73. https://doi.org/10.1108/02602280410515842
- Lord Corporation, Lord Technical Data, http://www.lordfulfillment.com.
- Nguyen Q. H., Han Y. M., Choi S. B. and Wereley N. M., 2007, "Geometry Optimization of MR Valves Constrained in a Specific Volume Using the Finite Element Method", Smart Materials & Structures, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 2242-2252. https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/16/6/027