- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on Development of One-Piece Manufacturing Process for Automotive Cowl Cross Bar
자동차용 카울크로스바의 일체화 성형 공정 개발에 관한 연구
- Kim, Hong-Seok (School of Mechanical Engineering, Daegu University) ;
- Youn, Jae-Woong (School of Mechanical Engineering, Daegu University)
- Received : 2017.10.11
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The automobile cowl cross bar which is a backbone frame part inside the cockpit module has been designed with more complex geometries recently due to demands of its enhanced functions and reduced weight of car. The traditional manufacturing process using welding between tubes with different diameters shows several problems such as poor mechanical characteristics and appearance, etc. Therefore, in this study, manufacturing processes which can eliminate the welding process were developed by applying one-piece metal forming processes such as tube drawing and radial swaging. As results, it was found that the one-piece manufacturing processes give better bending strength than the traditional welding process and the swaging process shows the lowest manufacturing cost.
Cowl cross bar;One-piece manufacturing technique;Welding;Combined drawing;Swaging;Bending strength;Manufacturing cost
Supported by : 대구대학교
- E. Degarmo, J. Black, R. Kohser, Materials and Processes in Manufacturing, Macmillan Publishing Co., 1990.
- S. Pugh, Total Design: Integrated Methods for Successful Product Engineering, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1991.
- R. A. Malloy, Plastic Part Design for Injection Molding, Hanser Publisher, 1994.
- M. Cog, T. Altan, "An overall Review of the Tube Hydroforming Technology," J. Mater. Proc. Technol., Vol. 108, pp. 384-393, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(00)00830-X
- M. Merklein, M. Johannes, M. Lechner, A. Kuppert, "A Review on Tailored Blanks-Production, Applications and Evaluation," J. Mater. Proc. Technol., Vol. 214, pp. 151-164, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2013.08.015
- I. S. Um, S. M. Na, Y. G. Kim, H. S. Kim, D. S. Park, "Optimal Application of Automotive Cowl Cross Bar Using Hydroforming Technology," Proc. Kor. Soc. Mech. Eng. Conf., pp. 13-18, 2007.
- K. Swiatkowsk, R. Hatalak, "Study of the New Floating-Plug Drawing Process of Thin-Walled Tubes", J. Mater. Proc. Technol., Vol. 151, pp. 105-114, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2004.04.024
- T. Kuboki, N. Nishida, T. Sakaki, M. Murata, "Effect of Plug on Leveling of Residual Stress in Tube Drawing," J. Mater. Proc. Technol., Vol. 204, pp. 162-168, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2007.11.029
- S. W. Kim, Y. N. Kwon, Y. S. Lee, J. H. Lee, "Design of Mandrel in Tube Drawing Process for Automotive Steering Input Shaft," J. Mater. Proc. Technol., Vol. 187-188, pp. 182-186, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2006.11.134
- D. H. Kim, D. J. Kim, B. M. Kim, "Process Design of Multi-Step Wire Drawing Using Artificial Neural Network," Trans. Mater. Process, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 127-138, 1998.
- H. Kim, J. Youn, H. Rhee, "Development of Combined Tube Drawing Process for Straight-Type Cowl Cross Bar of Automobile", Int. J. Prec. Eng., Vol. 15, No. 10, pp. 2093-2099, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-014-0568-6
- Q. Zhang, K. Jin, D. Mu, P. Ma, "Rotary Swaging Forming Process of Tube Workpiece", Procedia Eng., Vol. 81, pp. 2336-2341, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.10.330
- M. Herrmann, C. Schenck, B. Kuhfuss, "Dry Rotary Swaging with Structured Tools," Procedia CIRP, Vol. 40, pp. 653-658, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2016.01.150
- A. Piela, F. Grosman, "Spatial Modeling of Swaging Process Using Finite Element Method Applied to Axially-Symmetrical Problems," J. Mater. Proc. Technol., Vol. 60, pp. 517-522, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0924-0136(96)02380-1
- H. Kim, J. Youn, "Development of One-Piece Manufacturing Process for Automotive Cowl Cross Bar Using Rotary Swaging", Trans. Mater. Proc., Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 332-336, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2016.25.5.332