- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on Effects of the Convergence of Story Character Phonics on Preschoolers' Early Reading Development
영어동화와 융합한 스토리 캐릭터 파닉스 교육이 유아의 초기 읽기 발달에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Received : 2017.10.24
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The Effects of the Story Character Phonics on Preschoolers' Early Reading Abilities and Affective Domains The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of the story character phonics on preschoolers' early reading abilities (phonemic awareness and phonics abilities) and their affective domains. 24 participants in the present study were seven years old, and they were divided into two different groups at S kindergarten in Chungnam. There were 12 preschoolers in the experimental group with the story character phonics, and 12 preschoolers in the control group learned English by the story phonics focusing on phonemic awareness and vocabulary for 6 weeks. The results were as follows: First, the story character phonics was more effective in improving the preschoolers' early reading abilities than using the story phonics. Secondly, the story character phonics had some positive effects on the preschoolers' affective domains. This study proved that practicing with the story character phonics is more effective for preschoolers to develop their early reading abilities of English and their affective domains.
Story character phonics;phonemic awareness;phonics;early reading ability;affective domains
- I. D .Park "Early childhood classroom English for early childhood English teachers.", Gyeonggi: Knowledge community, 2012.
- H. S. Lee, "A study on the phonics teaching method using characterizing alphabet.", Hannam University Graduate School of Social Culture, 2010.
- A. R. Kim. "The Effects of Using Animal Characters on the Learning Phonics for Preschoolers." Woosuk University Graduate School of Education, 2008.
- J. H. Kim. "Directions of English literacy education in elementary school.", Primary English Education, Vol, 4, No, 2. pp. 49-71, 1998.
- J. R. Kim. English "Linguistics and English education.", Seoul: Kyungmoon Publishers, 2011.
- H. D. Kang. "The analysis and development direction of preschool English education textbooks in connection with the elementary English curriculum.", English Language Teaching, Vol, 26, No, 1. pp. 131-147, 2014.
- S. A. Chi. "A comparison of teacher's recognition and current states of kindergarten-elementary school Linkage education in kindergarten and elementary school.", Journal of Early Childhood Education, Vol, 30, No. 2, pp. 283-308, 2010.
- A. Wright. "Storytelling with children.", New York: Oxford University Press, 1995.
- J. Trelease. "The read-aloud handbook.", New York: Penguin, 1982.
- J. Y. Choi, "Effects of teaching English through Balanced Language Approach in early childhood education, for five years old in Kindergarten.", The Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education, Vol, 4. No, 3, pp. 103-133, 2009.
- J. R. Kim. "English linguistics and English education.", Seoul: Kyungmoon Publishers, 2011.
- J. E. Cowen. "A balanced approach to beginning reading instruction: A synthesis of six major U.S. research studies.", Newark, DE: International Reading Association, 2003.
- B. Liebert. "Linguistics and the new English teacher: An introduction to linguistics approaches in language instruction.", New York: Macmillan, 1971.
- E. W. Ball & B. A. Blachman. "Does phoneme awareness training in kindergarten make a difference in early word recognition and developmental spelling?", Reading Research Quarterly, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 49-66, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1598/RRQ.26.1.3
- J. H. Lee, & S. W. Parkm, "Studies in phonetics, phonology, and morphology", The Phonology Morphology Circle of Korea, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 131-161, 2012
- M., J. Adams, B. R. Foorman, T. Beeler. "Phonemic awareness in young children.", Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes, 1998.
- J. H. Son, "The effects of English vocabulary learning through phonemic awareness instruction on the reading ability of preschoolers.", Chung-Ang University The Graduate School, 2011.
- H. D. Choi. "A study on the relationship of phonemic awareness and the literacy of preschoolers.", Yonsei University The Graduate Schol of Education, 2006.
- J. L. Jones., L. Elish-Poper., & S. D. Lenski. "Teaching beginning readers: Linking assessment and instruction (2nd ed.).", Debeque, IA: Kendall/Hunt, 2002.
- M. C. McKenna, D. J. Kear. "Measuring attitude toward reading: A new tool for teachers.", The Reading Teacher, Vol. 43, No. 8, pp. 626-639, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1598/RT.43.8.3
- J, L. Eldredge. "Teaching decoding in holistic classroom." Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1995.