- Volume 8 Issue 12
Xanthium strumarium L. is an annual plant belongs to the family Asteraceae which is is called a 'Cocklebur' that is used for medicinal purposes. Convergent phyto-activity of various extracts of Xanthium strumarium L. (Asteraceae) was examined. We estimated antioxidant activity from ground part and fruit extract of X. strumarium using 1, 1-diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl radical (DPPH) and ABTS assay. The extract of X. strumarium was separated each fraction that of ethanol, petroleum ether, and ethyl acetate. It showed potent radical scavenging effect against the DPPH radical and ABTS. The study revealed that X. strumarium could be used as a potential source of natural antioxidant.
Antioxidant activity;Xanthium strumarium L.;DPPH Assay;ABTS Assay;Convergence
- J. H. Park, Y .S. Min. "Antioxidant Activities of Xanthium strumarium Fruit and stem Extracts." The Journal of Applied Oriental Medicine, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 17-23, 2010.
- A. Sanchez-Lamar, J, Piloto-Ferrer. F. Degrassi. "Xanthium strumarium extract inhibits mammalian cell proliferation through mitotic spindle disruption mediated by xanthatin." J Ethnopharmacol, Vol. 194, pp. 781-788, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2016.11.006
- C. S. Yook. Clourred medicinal plants of Korea, Seoul Academy press pp. 305-310, 1990.
- K.W. Lee, S. J. Lee, H. K. Park, M. J. Kim, J. S. Jeong, E. K. Hong, C. K. Joo. "Antioxidant Activity of Xanthium Strumarium L. Extracted Fractions in Lens Epithelial Cells." Journal of The Korean Ophthalmological Society, Vol 42, No 1, pp. 152-159, 2001.
- NB. Sridlharamurthy, R. Yogananda, U. Srinivas. "In-vitro antioxidant and Antilipidemic Activites of Xanthium." Current Trends in Biotechnology & Pharmacy, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 1362-1371, 2011.
- D Jain, SB Shukla, S Verma "Lack of analgesic property in Xantium strumarium Linn. Fruit's butanolic extracts." Journal of Pharmaceutical Negative Results Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 22-25, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4103/0976-9234.99643
- K. Apel, H. Hirt. "Reactive Oxygen Species: Metabolism, Oxidative Stress, and Signal Transduction." Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. Vol. 55, pp. 373-399, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.arplant.55.031903.141701
- M. Al Shahrani, S. Heales, I. Hargreaves, M Orford. "Oxidative Stress: Mechanistic Insights into Inherited Mitochondrial Disorders and Parkinson's Disease." Clin, Med., vol. 6, No. 11, p. 100. 2017. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm6110100
- JT. Kumpulainen, JT. Salonen. "Natural Antioxidants and Anticarcinogenens in Nutrition, Health and Disease." The Royal Society of chemistry, UK, pp. 69-83. (1999).
- F. Pourmorad, SJ. Hosseinimehr, N. Shahabimajd. "Antioxidant activity, phenol and flavonoid contents of some selected Iranian medicinal plants." African Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 5, No. 11, pp. 1142-1145, 2006.
- JM Kim, SH. Choi, OH. Lee. "Method validation and measurement uncertainty for the simultaneous determination of synthetic phenolic antioxidants in edible oils commonly consumed in Korea." Food Chem., Vol. 213, No. 15, pp. 19-25, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2016.06.053
- S. Robu, AC Aprotosoaie AC, A. Miron, O. Cioanca, "In vitro antioxidant activity of Ethanolic extracts from some Lavandula species cultivated in Romania." Farmacia, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 394-401, 2012.
- N. Gupta, S. Bhattacharya, RK Sharma, E. Narang. "In vitro Comparative Antioxidant Activity of Ethanolic Extracts of Glycosmis pentaphylla, Bauhinia variegata and Leucas aspera." Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 42-45. 2011.
- H.S. Kim, I. S. Lee, S. H. Yeo, L. S. Seong, T. S. Yu, "Isolization and characterization of antitumor agents from Xanthium strumarium L." Korean J. Biotechnol. Bioeng, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 324-328, 2003.
- S. M. Park, H. J. Jung, S. H. Han, S. H. Yeo, Y. W. Kim, H. G. Ahn, H. S. KimS, T. S. Yu. "Antifungal activity of extract from Xanthium strumarium L. against plant pathogenous fungi." Journal of Life Science, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 692-695, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2005.15.5.692
- B. Hsu, L. M. Coupar, K. Ng. "Antioxidant activity of hot water extract from the fruit of the Doum palm, Hyphaene thebaica." Food Chem, Vol. 98, No. 2. pp. 317-328, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.05.077
- Y. M. Park, J. B. Jeong, J. H. Seo, J. H. Lim, H. J. Jeong, E. W. Seo. "Inhibitory Effect of Red Bean (Phaseolus angularis) Hot Water Extracts on Oxidative DNA and Cell Damage.", Korean J. Plant Res, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 130-138, 2011. https://doi.org/10.7732/kjpr.2011.24.2.130
- M. Nasir, S. Rauf, A. Hayat. "Biomimetic nitrogen doped titania nanoparticles as a colorimetric platform for hydrogen peroxide detection." J. Colloid Interface Sci. Vol 505, No 1, pp 1147-1157, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2017.07.014
- R. Kah, H. Kappus. "Toxicology of the synthetic antioxidants BHA and BHT in comparison with the natural antioxidant vitamin E.", Z Lebensm Unters Forsch, Vol. 196, No. 4, pp. 329-338, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01197931
- VK. Gupta, SK. Sharma. "Plants as natural antioxidants." Natural Product Radiance, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 326-334, 2006.
- HY. Hana, S. Shanb, X, Zhanga, "Down-regulation of prostate specific antigen in LNCaP cells by flavonoids from the pollen of Brassica napus L.", Phytomedicine, Vol. 14, pp. 338-343, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2006.09.005
- I. Zila, A. Brozmanova, "Effects of Hypovolenia on Hypercapnic Ventilatory Response in Experimental Hyperthermia." J. Physiol. Pharmacol, Vol. 58, pp. 781-790, 2007.