- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Convergence Effect of Oral Health Level on Daily Life of Elderly Women
여성노인의 구강건강 수준이 일상생활에 미치는 융합적인 영향
- Choi, Jung-Ok (Department of Dental Hygiene, Youngsan University) ;
- Nam, Seoul-Hee (Department of Dental Hygiene, College of Health Science, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2017.10.31
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of oral health status on daily life of elderly women. The subjects of this study were 142 elderly women aged 60 years or older who were surveyed through questionnaires, interviews, counseling, and oral examinations. The SPSS program was used for frequency analysis, descriptive statistics and regression analysis. The results of the study showed that the number affected on daily life were 1.4 in average and the oral health condition was the highest at scaling (59.4%). When the oral status was unsatisfactory, it was found to be uncomfortable in daily life. In case of oral pain, oral status and poor removal of calculus, the number and frequency in daily life were increased. In conclusion, the oral health of elderly women can improve their daily life ability and affect the quality of life. Therefore, a systematic oral care plan is needed through the expansion of oral health promotion education for elderly women and the development of continuous preventive programs.
Supported by : 영산대학교
- Statistics Korea, "Social indicators of Korea", 2014.
- J. M. Kwag, I. I. Park, M. K. Son, "Suggestion for understanding and activation of the nursing home dentist system", Oral Biol Res, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 127-133, 2017. https://doi.org/10.21851/obr.41.03.201709.127
- E. Budtz-Jorgensen, N, Keidinf, P. Grandjean, "Benchmark dose calculation from epidemiological data", Biometrics, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 698-706, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0006-341X.2001.00698.x
- M. H. Park, Y. S. Yoo, "Pilocarpine mouth care for patients with terminal cancer", J Korean Acad Funda Nurs, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 217-224, 2006.
- R. D. Mattes, B. J. Cowart, "Dietary assessment of patients with chemosensory disorders", J Am Diet Assoc, Vol. 94, No. 1, pp. 50-56, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-8223(94)92041-9
- M. W. Shin, Y. O. Lee, Y. C. Cho, "Analysis of the influence of physical and mental function, and oral health impact profiles on quality of life in the elderly people in long-term care centers using the structural equation model", J. of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 4 pp. 500-511, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.500
- J. Aleksejuniene, D. Holst, J. I. Grytten, H. M. Eriksen, "Causal patterns of dental health in populations: an empirical approach", Caries Res, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 233-240, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1159/000063923
- M. Natio, H. Yuasa, Y. Nomura, Y. Nakayama, N. Hamajima, N. Hanada, "Oral health status and health-related quality of life:a systematic review", J Oral Sci, Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 1-7, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2334/josnusd.48.1
- K. A. Atchison, T. A. Dolan, "Development of the Geriatric oral health assessment index", J Dent Educ, Vol. 54, No. 11, pp. 680-687, 1990.
- G. D. Slade, A. J. Spencer, "Development and evaluation og the oral health impact profile", Community Dent Health, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 3-11, 1994.
- D. S. Shin, Y. M. Jung, "Oral health-related quality of Life (OHQoL) and related factors among elderly women", J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 332-341, 2008.
- P. M. Jensen, R. L. Saunders, T. Thierer, B. Friedman, "Factors associated with oral health-related quality of life in community-dwelling eldelry persons with disabilities", J Am Geriatr Soc, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 711-717, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.01631.x
- A. S. Panchbhai, "Oral health care needs in the dependant elderly in India", Indian J Palliat Care, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 19-26, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1075.97344
- Y. M. Jung, J. H. Kim, "Comparison of cognitive levels, nutritional status, depression in the elderly according to living situations", J Korean Acad Nurs, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 495-503, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.3.495
- B. M. Posner, A. Jette, C. Smigelski, D. Miller, P. Mitchell, "Nutritional risk in New England elders", J Gerontol, Vol. 49, No. 3, pp. 123-132, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/49.3.M123
- G. U. Kim, J. H. Kim, "A study on the knowledge and awareness of care workers on the geriatric oral health", J. of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 9-15, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.009
- N. H. Kim, S. L. Choi, "Effects of the physical and social characteristics of eldely women on self-esteem and life satisfaction" The Korea Contents Society, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 214-252, 2011.
- K. Y. Lee, Y. S. Cho, S. R Lim, "Oral Health-Related Quality of Life of the Elderly under Visiting Health Care", J Dent Hyg Sci Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 325-332, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.3.325
- A. Catovic, V. Bergman, A. Catic, "Qualitative evaluation of elderly home residents' fixed and removable prostheses in relation to the ADL index", J Dent, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 3-8, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0300-5712(02)00129-X
- M. M. Henshaw, J. M. Calabrese, "Oral health and nutrition in the elderly", Nutrition Clinical Care, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 34-42, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1523-5408.2001.00109.x
- Health Insurance Review Assessment Sevice. "Medical Expenditure Statistical Indicator in Korean", 2013.
- K. S. Ahn, M. G. Ji, "A study of factors of oral health diseases among the elderly", J Den Hyg Sci, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 73-82, 2008.
- M. J. Jun, "The Convergence relation of tobacco smoking to tooth loss in older adults", J. of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 5, pp. 127-134, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.127
- Y. J. Choi, "Converged relationship between oral health beliefs, oral disease preventive intention and oral disease preventive activities in partial middle aged adults". J Korea Convergence Society. Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 209-215, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.4.209
- Y. O. Nam, "A study on relationships between oral health care status and QOL and IADL of the elderly", J Korean Acad Oral Health, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 362-371, 2010.
- H. S. Park, "Effect of oral hygiene controllability on the subjective oral malodor", J Oral Med Pain, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 147-158, 2008.