- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Overtime Work on Health-Related Quality of Life of Korean Blue-Collar Workers
한국 생산직 근로자의 초과근무 여부가 건강관련 삶의 질에 미치는 영향
- Park, Yunhee (Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Wonkwang University) ;
- Chae, Duckhee (College of Nursing, Chonnam National University) ;
- Kim, Suhee (Division of Nursing and Research Institute of Nursing Science, Hallym University)
- Received : 2017.10.26
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
This study investigated the effects of overtime work on the health-related quality of life (HRQoL) of Korean blue-collar workers. This cross-sectional study collected data on 229 Korean blue-collar workers in six small-sized companies from October to November 2015. The data were analyzed using hierarchical multiple regression analysis to estimate the effect of overtime work while considering convergence variables. In the hierarchical regression model, when overtime work variable was included in the model,
Workers;overtime work;health-related quality of life;depression;night shift work;convergence
Supported by : 원광대학교
- D. H. Kim, & Y. C. Cho, "Occupational stress and its associated factors among male workers in small-scale manufacturing industries under 50 members" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 10, pp. 405-413, 2012.
- S. Chalupka, "Overtime work as a predictor of a major depressive episode" Workplace Health & Safety, Vol. 60, No. 4, pp. 192-192, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1177/216507991206000409
- J. Houdmont, J. Zhou, & J. Hassard, "Overtime and psychological well-being among Chinese office workers" Occupational Medicine, Vol. 61, No. 4, pp. 270-273, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kqr029
- N. Krause, R. J. Brand, G. A. Kaplan, J. Kauhanen, S. Malla, T. P. Tuomainen, J. T. Salonen, "Occupational physical activity, energy expenditure and 11-year progression of carotid atherosclerosis" Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health. Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 405-424, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.1171
- I. H. Kim, C. Muntaner, Y. H. Khang, D. Paek, & S. I. Cho, "The relationship between nonstandard working and mental health in a representative sample of the South Korean population" Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 63, No. 3, pp. 566-574, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.02.004
- http://www.kosha.or.kr/www/boardView.do?contentId= 343906&menuId=554&boardType=A2.
- K. Du Plessis, D. Cronin, T. Corney, & E. Green, "Australian blue-collar men's health and well-being: Contextual issues for workplace health promotion interventions" Health Promotion Practice, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 715-720, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/1524839912464046
- W. J. Hwang, & Y. Park, "Ecological correlates of cardiovascular disease risk in Korean blue-collar workers: A multi-level study" Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 45, No. 6, pp. 857-867, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.6.857
- A. Spurgeon, J. M. Harrington, & C. L. Cooper, "Health and safety problems associated with long working hours: A review of the current position" Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 54, No. 6, pp. 367-375, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.54.6.367
- T. Mizoue, Y. Fujino, H. Yamato, S. Tokunaga, T. Kubo, & K. Reijula, "Overtime work, cigarette consumption, and addiction to cigarette among workers subject to mild smoking restrictions" Industrial Health, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 244-249, 2006. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.44.244
- E. S. Shin, "Convergence relationship between occupational stress and fatigue symptoms among blue collar workers in manufacturing plants" Journal of the Korean Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 57-68, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.057
- J. U. Won, O. S. Hong, & W. J. Hwang, "Actual cardiovascular disease risk and related factors: A cross-sectional study of Korean blue collar workers employed by small businesses" Workplace Health & Safety. Vol. 61, No. 4, pp. 163-171, 2013.
- V. Atella, & J. Kopinska, "Body weight, eating patterns, and physical activity: The role of education" Demography, Vol. 51, No. 4, pp. 1225-1249, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13524-014-0311-z
- Y. M. Lee, & Y. G. Phee, "The Effects of Occupational Stress and Musculoskeletal Symptoms on Health-Related Quality of Life in Female Labor Workers" Journal of Korean Society of Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 210-218, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2016.26.2.210
- W. J. Hwang, & Y. Park, "Factors affecting health-related quality of life on Korean blue-collar workers" Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 94-102, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2015.24.2.94
- A. Bannai, & A. Tamakoshi, "The association between long working hours and health: A systematic review of epidemiological evidence" Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 5-18, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.3388
- E. J. Kang, H. S. Shin, H. J. Park, M. W. Jo, & N. Y. Kim, "A valuation of health status using EQ-5D" The Korean Journal of Health Economics and Policy, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 19-43, 2006.
- S. J. Chang, S. B. Koh, M. G. Kang, B. S. Cha, J. K. Park, S. J. Hyun, J. H. Park, S. A. Kim, D. M. Kang, S. S. Chang, K. J. Lee, E. H. Ha, M. Ha, J. M. Woo, J. J. Cho, H. S. Kim, J. S. Park, "Epidemiology of psychosocial distress in Korean employees" Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp. 25-37, 2005.
- N. B. Belloc, & L. Breslow, "Relationship of physical health status and health practices" Preventive Medicine, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 409-421, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-7435(72)90014-X
- M. Kivimäki, M. Virtanen, I. Kawachi, S. T. Nyberg, L. Alfredsson, G. D. Batty, J. B. Bjorner, M. Borritz, E. J. Brunner, H. Burr, N. Dragano, J. E. Ferrie, E. I. Fransson, M. Hamer, K. Heikkila, A. Knutsson, M. Koskenvuo, I. E. H. Madsen, M. L. Nielsen, M. Nordin, T. Oksanen, J. H. Pejtersen, J. Pentti, R. Rugulies, P. Salo, J. Siegrist, A. Steptoe, S. Suominen, T. Theorell, J. Vahtera, P. J. M. Westerholm, H. Westerlund, A. Singh-Manoux, M. Jokela, "Long working hours, socioeconomic status, and the risk of incident type 2 diabetes: A meta-analysis of published and unpublished data from 222120 individuals" The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 27-34, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(14)70178-0
- T. Lallukka, E. Lahelma, O. Rahkonen, E. Roos, E. Laaksonen, P. Martikainen, J. Head, E. Brunner, A. Mosdol, M. Marmot, M. Sekine, A. Nasermoaddeli, S. Kagaminori, "Associations of job strain and working overtime with adverse health behaviors and obesity: Evidence from the Whitehall II Study, Helsinki Health Study, and the Japanese Civil Servants Study" Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 66, No. 8, pp. 1681-1698, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2007.12.027
- H. J. Lee, "Convergence influential factors on stress of workers in the field of railroad electricity by the railroad work characteristics", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 9, pp. 105-115, 2017.
- M. Van der Hulst, "Long workhours and health" Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 171-188, 2003. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.720
- D. S. Ko, D. J. Lee, & T. S. Ko, "Changes in job stress, self-efficacy, depression and health-related quality of life according to the degree of musculoskeletal symptoms for white-collar workers" Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 2935-2944, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2935
- L. E. Sorensen, M. M. Pekkonen, K. H. Mannikko, V. A. Louhevaara, J. Smolander, & M. J. Alen, "Associations between work ability, health-related quality of life, physical activity and fitness among middle-aged men" Applied Ergonomics, Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 786-791, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apergo.2007.11.001
- M. Virtanen, J. E. Ferrie, A. Singh-Manoux, M. J. Shipley, J. Vahtera, M. G. Marmot, M. Kivimaki, "Overtime work and incident coronary heart disease: The Whitehall II prospective cohort study" European Heart Journal, Vol. 31, No. 14, pp. 1737-1744, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehq124
- D. Newbury-Birch, & F. Kamali, "Psychological stress, anxiety, depression, job satisfaction, and personality characteristics in preregistration house officers" Postgraduate Medical Journal, Vo. 77, No. 904, pp. 109-111, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1136/pmj.77.904.109
- W. J. Jeong, & K. S. Kim, "Working time, work-family conflict and turnover intention" Ordo Economics Journal, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 69-87, 2014.
- H. Allen, C. Woock, L. Barrington, & W. Bunn, "Age, overtime, and employee health, safety and productivity outcomes: A case study" Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Vol. 50, No. 8, pp. 873-894, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0b013e31818521ec
- T. Shimizu, S. Horie, S. Nagata, & E. Marui, "Relationship between self-reported low productivity and overtime working" Occupational Medicine, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 52-54, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1093/occmed/kqg099