- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Convergence Influence of excessive smartphone use on attention deficit, learning environment, and academic procrastination in health college students
보건계열 대학생의 스마트폰 과다사용이 주의력결핍, 학습환경, 학업지연행동에 미치는 융합적 영향
- Im, In-Chul (Dept. of Radiological science, Dongeui University) ;
- Jang, Kyeung-Ae (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Silla University)
- Received : 2017.09.26
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of the study is to investigate the convergence influence of excessive smartphone use on attention deficit, learning environment, and academic procrastination in health college students. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 255 college students in Busan drom March 6 to June 12, 2017. The degree of smartphone overuse, lack of attention, learning environment, and academic procrastination according to smartphone use characteristics showed significant effects on the time spent on smartphones per day, awareness of smartphone addiction, and personal use of smartphones during class time (p<0.001). It was shown that smartphone overuse was positively correlated with attention deficit (r=0.870, p<0.01), learning environment (r=0.812, p<0.01), academic procrastination (r=0.772, p<0.01), and attention deficit showed a positive relationship with learning environment (r=0.918, p<0.01) and academic procrastination (r=0.798, p<0.01) Learning environment was positively correlated with academic procrastination (r=0.777, p<0.01). The influence factors of smartphone overuse were attention deficit (p<0.001), followed by academic delay behavior (p<0.01). It is necessary to establish a healthy learning environment through prevention and proper use of smartphone.
Excessive use;Smartphone;Attention Deficit;Learning Environment;Academic Procrastination
- I. K. Seo, Y. S. Lee, "Effects of Adolescents' Smart Phone Addiction on their School Adjustment: Mediating Effects of Self-Efficacy", J. of Youth Welfare, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 217-241, 2016.
- H. Y. Kang, C. H. Park, K. "Development and Validation of the smartphone Addiction Inventory", J. of Korean Psychology, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 563-580, 2012.
- L. Leung, "Stressful life events motives for internet use, and social support among digital kids", J. of Cyber Psychology Behavior and Social Networking, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 204-214, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9967 https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9967
- J. Y. Yun, J.S. Moon, M. J. Kim, Y. J. Kim, H. A. Kim, B. L. Huh, J. U. Kim, S.Y. Chung, J. E. Chung, H. J. Chung, E. H. Lee, J. H. Choi, S. Y. Hong, J. Y. Bae, H. J. Park, H. J. Hong, "Smart phone Addicition and Health Problem in University Student", J. of Korean Association for Crisis and Emergency Management, Vol. 3, No. 2, pp. 92-4104, 2011.
- H. J. Dan, N. H. Bae, C.M. Koo, X. Wu, M. Y. Kim, "Relationship of Smartphone Addiction to Physical Symptoms and Psychological well-being among nursing students: Mediating Effect of Internet Ethics", J. of the Korean Academy of Nursing Administration", Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 277-286, 2015. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.277 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.3.277
- H. J. Kang, "The Relationships among Smartphone Yse, Mental Health, and Physical Health: Focusing on Smartphone Use' Attitudes", J. of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 484-489, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.483 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.483
- K. E. Lee, S. H. Kim, T. Y. HA, Y. M. Yoo, J. J. Han, J. H. Jung, J. Y. Jang, "Dependency on Smartphone Use and Its Association with anxiety in Korea", Public Health Report", Vol. 131, No. 3, pp. 411-419, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1177/003335491613100307
- J. O. Choi, "Mediating Effects of Executive Function Impairment on the Relationship between Smartphone Adddiction and School Adjustment" J. of Child Education, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 391-410, 2014.
- J. H. Jin, "Experiences of Smartphone Addiction among University Students", J of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 421-429, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.421 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.421
- C. Advokat, S. M. Lane, C. Luo, "College Students with and without ADHD: Comparison of Self-Report of Medication Usage, Study Habits, and Academic Achievement", J. of Attention Disorders, Vol. 15, No. 8, pp. 656-666, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/1087054710371168
- M. Toner, T. O'Donoghue, S. Houghton, "Living in Chaos and Striving for Control: How Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder deal with their Disorder", J. of International Disability Development and Education, Vol. 53, No. 2, pp. 247-261, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/10349120600716190 https://doi.org/10.1080/10349120600716190
- K. Norwalk, J. M. Norvilitis, M. G. Maclean, "ADHD Sympotomatology and Its Relationship to Factors Associated with College Adjustment", J. of Attention Disorders, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 251-258, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1087054708320441
- D. H. Kim, K. E. Lee, Y. J. Lee, S. H. Cha, S. H. Lim, C. Y. Won, H. M. Kwon, M. A. Han, "The Association Between Smart Phone Addiction and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Among Some College Students", J. of Korean Soc Matern Child Health, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 105-112, 2013. https://doi.org/10.21896/jksmch.2013.17.1.105
- E. Y. Kim, R. W. Park, "Smartphone Addiction and Learning Disorder, Depression, ADHD Association", J of Korea Academia Industrial Copperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 11, pp. 7599-7606, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7599 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.11.7599
- T. P. Tibbett, J. R. Ferrari, "The Portrait of the Procrastinator: Risk Factors and Results of an Indecisive Personality", Personality and Individual Differences, Vol. 82, pp. 175-184, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2015.03.014 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2015.03.014
- K. H. Hong, J. H. Park, S. J. Kim, "Study of Academic Procrastination of Students in Four-year College of Dept. of Optometry -Focusing on the ChungCheong Area-", J. of Korean Vision Science, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 57-64, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17337/JMBI.2016.18.1.57 https://doi.org/10.17337/JMBI.2016.18.1.57
- H. S. Lee, "Convergent Study of the Effect of University Students' Addiction to Smartphones on Self-Efficacy: Stress Level and Mental Health as Mediating Factors", J. of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 139-148, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.1.13
- M. S. Suk, Y. G. Ku, "The Effects of Individual, Family, and School FActors on Smart-phone Addiction of Adolescents", J. of Youth Welfare, Vol. 18, No. 1 pp. 53-77, 2016.
- T. Y. Lee, B. H. Song, "Smart-Phone Addiction and Countermeasure-Focusing on Ethics Education-", J. of Korea Association of Criminal Psychology, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 195-226, 2017.
- M. J. Park, S. Y. Ryu, J. Park, "The Effects of Smartphone Addiction on Sleeping Time and Sleep Deprivation among Some College Students", J. of the Korea Socity of Health Informatics and Statistics, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 50-61, 2015.
- Y. E. Kim, Influence of Smartphone Addiction on Depression, LD, ADHD, Health Behavior and Recognition. Ajou University, Doctor's Thesis, 2016.
- E. Y. Hong, The Influence of Excessive Use of Smartphone on Their Academic Procrastination: Moderating Effects of Parent-Child Communication and BIS/ BAS. Kangwon National University, Master's Thesis, 2016.
- K. T. Oh, J. E. Lee, "The Smart Life's Revolution and Smart Phone Addiction", Internet and Information Security, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 21-43, 2012.
- H. S. Kweon, S. G. Lee, "The Relationship between ADHD trait and Adjustment on Campus among College Students", J. of Korean Counseling, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 297-313, 2017.
- D. H. Kim, K. E. Lee, Y. J, Lee, S. H. Cha, S. H. Lim, C. Y. Won, H. M. Kwon, M. A. Han, "The Association between Smart Phone Addiction and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder among Some College Students", J. of Korean Soc Matern Child Health, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 105-112, 2013.
- E. J. Kim, "Factors Influencing the Smartphone Overdependence on Male Middle School Students in Era of Convergence", J. of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 8, pp. 177-183, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.8.177 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.8.177
- K. S. Paek, "A Convergence Study the Association between Addictive Smart Phone Use, Dry Eye Syndrome, Upper Extremity Pain and Depression among College Students", J. of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 61-69, 2017. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.1.061 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.1.061