- Volume 8 Issue 12
The purpose of the study aimed to explore the possibility for natural preservative convergence materials by examining the antioxidant activity and antimicrobial effect of 19 wild plants in Jiri Mountain. Total polyphenols were higher in the order of CS(Camellia sinensis L., 87.9 mg GAE/ g), MP(Mentha piperascens Holmes., 85.1 mg), NN(Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn., 65.0 mg) and PD(Pinus densiflora Siebold & Zucc., 52.8 mg). Total flavonoids were high in NN(25.7 mg QUE / g) and MP (25.4 mg QUE / g). CS(58.1%), NN(47.9%), and MP(40.6%) showed high ABTS radical scavenging ability and the result was similar in DPPH radical scavenging ability. The extracts of HC(Hemerocallis coreana Nakai.), PD, and CO(Cornus officinalis Siebold et Zucc.) showed the highest inhibitory effect on the growth of E. coli. The extracts of PK(Pulsatilla koreana Nakai ex Nakai.), SC(Saururus chinensis Baill.), and MC(Smilax china L.) completely inhibited the proliferation of S. aureus, showing the possibility to be developed as natural preservatives and disinfectants.
convergence materials;antioxidant;antimicrobial;polyphenol;flavonoid;natural preservatives
- G. N. Cho, D. S. Kim, M. G. Cho, H. R. Jung, H. S. Moon. "Vetetation structure around natural trails in Mt. Jiri national park", Kor J Agric For Meteorol Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 260-269, 2006.
- J. D. Lim, C.Y. Yu, M. J. Kim, S. J. Yun, S. J. Lee, N. Y. Kim, I. M. Chung. "Comparision of SOD activity and phenolic compound contents in various Korean medicinal plants". J Korean Med Sci Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 191-202, 2004.
- Valeria M, Garai J. "Plant-derived anti-inflammatory compounds affect MIF tautomerase activity", Int Immunopharmacol Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 849-856. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2004.12.017
- L Lahouar, A EI Arem, F Ghrairi, H Chahdoura, HB Salem, ME Felah, L Achour. "Phytochemical content and antiocidant properties of diverse varieties of whole barley (Hordeum vulgare L.) grown in Tunisia", Food Chem Vol. 145, No. 15, pp. 578-583, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.08.102
- M. A. Kang, M. B. Kim, J. H. Kim, Y. H. Ko, S. B. Lim. "Integral antioxidative capacity and antimicrobial activity of pressuized liquid extracts from 40 selected plant species", J Kor Soc Food Sci Nutr Vol. 39, No. 9, pp. 1249-1256, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2010.39.9.1249
- Baraldi R, Isacchi B, Predieri S, Marconi G, Vincieri FF, Bilia AR. "Distribution of artemisinin and bioactive flavonoids from Artemisia annua L. during plant growth", Biochem Syst Ecol Vol. 36, No. 5-6, pp. 240-348, 2008.
- Y. P. Wu, X. S. Meng, Y. R. Bao, S. Wang. "Pharmacokinetic study of four flavones of Glycyrrhiza in rat plasma using HPLC-MS", J Ethnopharmacol Vol. 148, No. 1, pp. 266-270, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2013.04.024
- J. C. Yang. "A study on the cosmetic preservative effects of Cornus officinalis seed extracts" J Kor Oil Chem Soc. Vol. 33. No. 2. pp. 333-341. 2016. https://doi.org/10.12925/jkocs.2016.33.2.333
- M. H. Lim, S. J. Hong. "Availability of opuntia ficus-indica var. saboten stem extracts as a nutral preservative" Asian J Beauty Cosmetol Vol. 14. No. 4. pp. 449-461. 2016. https://doi.org/10.20402/ajbc.2016.0079
- K .Y. Oh, S. J. Ahn, S. M. Oh. "A study of shelf-life and antimicrobial acticity on putrefactive microorganisms related to soybean curd", Culinary Science & Hospitality Research Vol 22. No 3. pp. 198-211. 2016. https://doi.org/10.20878/cshr.2016.22.3.016
- Korea national park research institute. Jiri national park Natural Resources plant research. Korea national park service. http://ebook.knps.or.kr/upload/vrphoto/2013JiRiM/book.html (accessed 5. 2017)
- Singleton WS, Gray MS, Brown ML, White JL. "Chromatographically homogeneous lecithin from egg phospholipids", J Am Oil Chem Soc Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 53-56, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02558256
- Moreno MIN, Isla MI, Sampietro AR, Vattuone MA. "Comparison of the free radical-scaveging activity of propolis from several regions of Argentica", J Ethnophamacol Vol. 71, No. 1, pp. 109-114. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-8741(99)00189-0
- Re R, Pellegrini N, Proteggente A, Yang M, Catherine RE. "Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorzation assay", Free Radical Biol Med Vol. 26, No. 9, pp. 1231-1237. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0891-5849(98)00315-3
- Blois MS. "Antioxidant determination by the use of a stable free radical", Nature Vol. 181, No. 4617, pp. 1199-1200. 1958. https://doi.org/10.1038/1811199a0
- K. C. Min, J. W. Jwoo. "Antioxidant activity and Inhibitory effect of Taraxacum officinale extracts on nitric oxide production", Kor J Food Sci Technol Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 206-212. 2013. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.2.206
- J. N. Kim, J. M. Kim, K. S. Lee. "Antiocidant activity of methanol extracts from Lactuca indica", Korean J Food Preserv Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 294-300. 2012. https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2012.19.2.294
- C. H. Jeong, S. T. Kang, O. S. Joo, S. C. Lee, Y. H. Shin, K. H. Shim, S. H. Cho, S. G. Choi, H. J. Heo. "Phenolic content, antioxidant effect and acetylchoinesterase inhibitory activity of Korean commercial green, puer, oolong, and black teas", Kor J Food Preserv Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 230-237, 2009.
- Y. L. Oh. "Effect of flower extract on antioxidative of cultured C6 glioma cells damaged by glucose oxidase of reactive oxygen species in Nelumbo nucifera", J Kor Soc People Plant Environ Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 17-24. 2010.
- S. J. Jung, J. H. Lee, H. N. Song, N. S. Seong, S. E. Lee, N. I. Beak. "Screening for antioxidant activity of plant medicinal extracts", J Kor Soc Appl Biol Chem Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 135-140. 2004.
- S. K. Kim, S. Y. Ban, J. S. Kim, S. K. Chung. "Change of antioxidant activity and antioxidant compounds in Saururus chinensis by extraction conditions", J Kor Soc Appl Biol Chem Vol. 48, No. 1, pp. 89-92. 2005.
- B. C. Cha, S. K. Lee, H. W. Lee, E. Lee, M. Y. Choim, T. J. Rhim, H. J. Park. "Antioxidative effect of domestic plants", Kor J Pharmacogn Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 15-20. 1997.
- C. S. Park, C. J. Kwon, M. A. Choi, G. S. Park, K. H. Choi. "Antibacterial activities of Cordyceps spp., mugwort and pine needle extracts", Kor J Food Preserv Vol. 9, No. 1, pp. 102-108, 2002.
- C. H. Lee, M. S. Choi, K. W. Kwon. "Variation of kalosaponin contents in plant parts and population of native Kalopanax septemlobus (Thunb.) Koidz", Kor J Phamacogn Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 203-208, 2000.
- Y. J. Kim, J. H. Lee, S. J. Kim. "Cultivation characteristics and flavonoid contents of wormwood (Artemisia montana Pamp.)", J Agric Chem Env Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 117-122, 2013.
- K. I. Seo, S. W. Lee, K. H. Yang. "Antimicrobial and antioxidative activities of Corni fructus extracts", Kor J Postharvest Sci Technol Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 99-103, 1999.
- M. S. Koh. "Antimicrobial activity of Saururus chinensis Baill extract", J Kor Soc Food Sci Nutr Vol. 33, No. 7, pp. 1098-1105, 2004. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.7.1098
- Seo, Hye-Kyung, et al. "Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Smilax china L. leaf extracts." Food Science and Biotechnology Vol. 21. No. 6. 1723-1727, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-012-0229-4
- J. H. Bae. "Antimicrobial effect of Pulsatilla koreana extracts on food-borne pathogens", Kor J Nutr Vol. 37, No. 8, pp. 655-661, 2004.
- J. H. Oh, E. H. Kim, J. L. Kim, Y. I. Moon, Y. H. Kang, J. S. Kang. "Study on antiocidant potency of green tea by DPPH method", J Kor Soc Food Sci Nutr Vol. 33, No. , pp. 1079-1084, 2004. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2004.33.7.1079
- H. K. Kim, J. H. Kwon, K. H. Park, M. H. Kim, M. H. Oh, K. I. Choe, S. H. Park, H. Y. JIN, S. S. Kim, M. W. Lee. "Screening of antioxidative activities and antiinflammatory activities in local native plants", Kor J Pharmacogn Vol. 43, No. 3, pp. 85-93, 2012.
- J. H. Lee, A. R. Park, D. W. Choi, J. D. Kim, J. C. Kim, J. H. Ahn, H. Y. Lee, M. Choe, K. P. Choi, I. C. Shin, H. J. Park. "Analysis of chemical compositions and electron-donating ability of 4 Korean wild sannamuls", Kor J Medicinal Crop Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 111-116. 2011. https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2011.19.2.111
- J. J. Park, J. M. Lee, W. J. Jun. "Radical scavenging and anti-obesity effects of various extracts from turmeric (Curcuma longa L.)", J Kor Soc Food Sci Nutr Vol. 42, No. 12, pp. 1908-1914, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2013.42.12.1908