- Volume 8 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Convergence Study about Influences of Subjective Oral Health Status and Oral Health Literacy on Oral Health-related Quality of Life among Elderly in Community
지역사회거주 노인의 주관적 구강건강상태와 구강건강문해력이 구강건강관련 삶의 질에 미치는 영향에 대한 융합 연구
- Received : 2017.08.18
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
This study was conducted to identify an influence of subjective oral health status and oral health literacy on oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL) in elderly. Participants in this cross-sectional survey were 248 aged over 65 older people in Jecheon city. Data were collected from July. 3 to 21, 2016 using the self-report questionnaire. Subjective oral health status, oral health literacy and oral health-related quality of life were measured. The results of multiple regression analysis showed that subjective oral health status, oral health literacy, cohabitant, the number of teeth, education level and religion significantly predicted OHRQoL in the elderly people, explaining 44.3% of the variance. Therefore, health care providers should consider that interventions preventing tooth loss and improving oral health status and oral health literacy are required to enhance the OHRQoL in the elderly people.
Convergence;Subjective oral health status;Oral health literacy;Oral health-related quality of life;Elderly;Community
- Korean Statistical Information Service, Population Census, Statistics Korea, 2015.
- S. Akifusa, I. Soh, T. Ansai, T. Hamasaki, Y. Takata, A. Yohida, M. Fukuhara, K. Sonoki, T. Takehara, "Relationship of number of remaining teeth to health-related quality of life in community-dwelling elderly", Gerodontology. Vol. 22, pp. 91-97, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.2005.00059.x
- P. E. Petersen, T. Yamamoto, "Improving the oral health of older people: the approach of the WHO Global Oral Health Programme", Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, Vol. 33, pp. 81-92, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2004.00219.x
- Y. Benyamini, H. Leventhal, E. A. Leventhal, "Self-rated oral health as an independent predictor of self-rated general health, self-esteem and life satisfaction", Social Science & Medicine, Vol. 59, pp. 1109-1116, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2003.12.021
- M. J. June, "The convergence relation of tobacco smoking to tooth loss in older adults", J. of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 127-134, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.127
- G. S. Jung, The statistics of health behavior and chronic disease of 2015 in Korea, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, 2016.
- C. S. Park, I. J. Kim, "Oral health behavior according to perceived oral symptoms in the elderly", J. of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 955-968, 2016. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2016.16.06.955
- J. H. Kim, M. H. Hong, M. A. Jeong, "Subjective oral health awareness level and quality of life study", J. of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 57-67, 2010.
- I. C. Lee, T. Y. Shieh, Y. H. Yang, C. C. Tsai, K. H. Wang, "Individuals' perception of oral health and its impact on the health-related quality of life", J. of Oral Rehabilitation, Vol. 34, pp. 79-87, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.2006.01694.x
- D. A. Sabbahi, H. P. Lawrence, H. Limeback, I. Rootman, "Development and evaluation of an oral health literacy instrument for adults", Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, Vol. 37, pp. 451-462, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2009.00490.x
- E. J. Parker, L. M. Jamieson, "Associations between indigenous Australian oral health literacy and self-reported oral health outcomes", BioMed Central Oral Health, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 1-8, 2010.
- S. J. Jang, "Convergent relationship between functional oral health literacy oral health knowledge and oral health behavior of some university students", J. of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 69-75, 2016.
- J. Y. Lee, R. G. Rozier, S. Y. D. Lee, D. Bender, R. E. Ruiz, "Development of a word recognition instrument to test health literacy in dentistry: The REALD-30 - A brief communication", J. of Public Health Dentistry, Vol. 67, No. 2, pp. 94-98, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2007.00021.x
- Y. M. Kang, Y. S. Cho, "Impact of mother's oral health literacy on preschool children's oral health status and behavior", J. Dental Hygine Science, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 26-36, 2016.
- M. Jones, J. Y. Lee, R. G. Rozier, "Oral health literacy among adult patients seeking dental care", J. of the American Dental Association, Vol. 138, pp. 1199-1208, 2007. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2007.0344
- M. D. Macek, D. Haynes, W. Wells, S. Bauer-Leffler, P. A. Cotton, R. M. Parker, "Measuring conceptual health knowledge in the context of oral health literacy: preliminary results", J. of Public Health Dentistry, Vol. 70, pp. 197-204, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2010.00165.x
- M. Masood, Y, Masood, R. Saub, J. T. Newton, "Need of minimal important difference for oral health-related quality of life measure", J. of Public Health Dentistry, Vol. 74, No. 1, pp. 13-20, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2012.00374.x
- D. Locker, "Measuring oral health: a conceptual framework", Community Dental Health, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 3-18, 1988.
- P. M. Jensen, R. I. Saunders, T. Thierer, B. Friedman, "Factors associated with oral health-related quality of life in community-dwelling elderly persons with disabilities", J. of Public Health Dentistry, Vol. 70, pp. 197-204, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2010.00165.x
- K. Enoki, K. Matsuda, K. Ikebe, S. Murai, M. Yoshida, Y. Maeda, W. M. Thomson, "Influence of xerostoma on oral health-related quality of life in the elderly: a 5-year longitudinal study", Oral Medicine, Vol. 117, No. 6, pp. 716-721, 2014.
- M. S. Park, S. A. Ryu, "Degree of dry mouth and factors influencing oral health-related quality of life for community-dwelling elders", J. of Korean Academic Nursing, Vol. 40, No. 5, pp. 747-755, 2010. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2010.40.5.747
- G. J. Lee, Factors affecting activities for oral health promotion. Daegu Haany University. PhD. thesis, 2011.
- S. Richman, I. Chestnutt, B. Brown, "The relationship of medical and dental factors to perceived oral and general health", Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 89-97, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2007.00296.x
- H. J. Ju, H. W. Oh, J. Y. Kim, H. S. Lee, "A cross-section study on oral health literacy and its influencing factors among adults: I. verbal oral health literacy", J. of Korean of Oral Health, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 97-105, 2012.
- G. D. Slide, "Derivation and validation of a short-form oral health impact profile", Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 284-290, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1997.tb00941.x
- H. S. Lee, C. M. Kim, "Effects of oral health impact profile on depression and quality of life among community-dwelling Korean elderly persons", J. of Korean Academic Community Health Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 338-346, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.3.338
- K. J. Ryu, T. Y. Lee, K. Y. Kim, "A study on oral health-related quality of life of among elderly in metropolis", J. of Korean Academic Dental Hygiene Education, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 620-632, 2009.
- K. A. Mossberg, C. McFarland, "Initial health status of patients at outpatient physical therapy clinic", Physical Therapy, Vol. 75, No. 12, pp. 1043-1051, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/75.12.1043
- D. I. Gagliardi, G. D. Slade, A. E. Sanders, " Impact of dental care on oral health-related quality of life and treatment goals among elderly adults", Australian Dental J., Vol. 53, pp. 26-33, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2007.00005.x
- K. Ikebe, K. I. Matsuda, K. Morii, M. Wada, T. Hazeyama, T. Nokubi, R. Ettinger, "Impact of dry mouth and hyposalivation on oral health-related quality of life of elderly Japanese", Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology & Endodontology, Vol. 103, No. 2, pp. 216-222, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2005.12.001
- J. G. Steele, A. E. Sanders, G. D. Slade, P. F. Allen, S. Lahti, N. Nuttall, A. J. Spencer, "How do age and tooth loss affect oral health impacts and quality of life? A study comparing two national samples", Community Dentistry & Oral Epidemiology, Vol. 32, pp. 107-114, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.0301-5661.2004.00131.x
- A. Zini, H. D. Sgan-Coben, "The effect of oral health on quality of life in an underprivileged homebound and non-homebound elderly population in Jerusalem", J. of the American Geriatrics Society, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 99-104, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2007.01498.x
- A. M. Horowitz, D. V. Kleinman, "Oral health literacy : the new imperative to better oral health", Dental Clinic of North America, Vol. 52, No. 2, pp. 333-344, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2007.12.001
- M. Masood, T. Newton, N. N. Bakri, T. Khalid, Y. Masood, "The relationship between oral health and oral health related quality of life among elderly people in United Kingdom", J. of Dentistry, Vol. 56, pp. 78-83, 2017 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2016.11.002
- A. Tada, T. Watanabe, H. Yokoe, N. Hanada, H. Tanzawa, "Relationship between the number of remaining teeth and physical activity in community-dwelling elderly", Archives of Gerontology & Geriatrics, Vol. 37, pp. 109-117, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4943(03)00026-8
Supported by : Semyung University