- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development of a Digital Storytelling Activity Model for Digital Generation
디지털 세대를 위한 디지털 스토리텔링 활동 모형 개발
- Jo, Miheon (Cheongju National University of Education)
- 조미헌 (청주교육대학교)
- Received : 2017.10.24
- Accepted : 2017.11.13
- Published : 2017.12.31
Digital storytelling provides students with opportunities to plan and compose a story, and create a storytelling material using various digital technologies. Through digital storytelling activities, students can enhance competencies such as creativity, communication, critical thinking and collaboration, which are required for the digital generation in the future. The purpose of this research was to develop a digital storytelling model that guides students' activities related to the planning of a story and the creation of a digital material. The model classified 4 stages of activities(i.e. 'Preparing Activity', 'Planning and Composing a Story', 'Producing Storytelling Material' and 'Making a Presentation and Evaluating Storytelling Material'), and provided instructional guidances for each stage. Also various forms were presented for story planning, story table, evaluation among students and individual reflection journal.
- Baek, Y., Han, S., Park, J., Kim, J., Choi, M., Byun, H., Park, J., Kang, S., & Yoon, S.(2015). Educational Strategy and Educational Technology in the Smart Age. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Choi, H.(2012). Cultural Contents, Meeting Storytelling. Seoul: SERI.
- Choi, S.Y.(2009). Opportunities for digital storytelling and collaborative learning on second life. Paper presented at the HCI 2009 Conference.
- Choi, Y., & Kim, S.(2005). Storytelling and Narrative. Seoul: Geulnurim.
- Dale, E.(1969). Audiovisual Methods in Teaching. New York: The Dryden Press.
- Dick, W., Carey, L., & Carey, J.O.(2011). The Systematic Design of Instruction. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Ellis, G., & Brewster, J.(1991). The Storytelling Handbook for Primary Teachers. London: Penguin Books.
- Heo, H.(2006). Development of Multimedia contents using storytelling as narrative thinking. Journal of Educational Technology, 22(1), 195-224. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.22.4.195
- Heo, H., & Jo, M.(2017). Storytelling-based Learning. In H. Heo, M. Kim, M. Jo, O. Lee, & M. Kim(Eds.). Exploration of Instructional Strategies for Information Education. KyoungGi: Kyoyookbook.
- Hong, S.(2015). Designing and applying Project Based Learning in Elementary Social Studies based on storytelling. Social Studies Education. 54(2), 49-63.
- Hwang, S.(2009). Factors constructing storytelling and creation of good storytelling. Excellence Marketing for Customer, 43(12), 33-38.
- Jo, M., Kim, M., Kim, M., Lee, O., & Heo, H.(2015). The Design of e-Learning Contents. KyoungGi: Kyoyookbook.
- Johnson, D.W., & Johnson, R.T.(1999). Learning Together and Alone. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- Johnson, L., Adams Becker, S., Estrada, V., & Freeman, A.(2014). NMC Horizon Report: 2014 K-12 Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium.
- Johnson, L., Adams Becker, S., Estrada, V., & Freeman, A.(2015). NMC Horizon Report: 2015 K-12 Edition. Austin, Texas: The New Media Consortium.
- Kim, M.J., & Chung, H.J.(2017). The Study of Features and Implications of Coding Education Contents for Kids Based on Digital Storytelling. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 23(1), 21-31.
- Kim, S., & Lee, H.(2013). Understanding Media. Seoul: Minumsa.
- Koo, D.H.(2014). Development of Digital Storytelling Education Program Based on Software Programming. The Journal of Korea elementary education, 25(1), 245-260. https://doi.org/10.20972/kjee.25.1.201403.245
- Kwon, H.(2008). The Effects of Digital Storytelling on the Achievement and Attitude in Mathematics of Elementary School Students. Journal of educational studies, 39(3), 139-170.
- Lambert, J.(2013). Digital Storytelling: Capturing Lives, Creating Community(4th ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Lee, C., Kwon, J., & Park, B.(2011). The Power of a Story!. Seoul: Golden Fish Co.
- Lee, I., Go, W., Jeon, B., Kang, S., Jeon, K., Bae, J., Han, H., & Lee, J.(2003). Digital Storytelling. Seoul: Golden Bough Co.
- Lee, J.(2011). Digital Storytelling in Art Education. Art Education Research Review. 25(3), 123-146.
- Lee, J.M., Park, S.H., & Kang, M.S.(2011). Design a e-learning contents prototype based on storytelling for improve problem in cyber home learning. Journal of Educational Innovation Research, 21(2), 1-28.
- Lee, S., Yang, H., Hwang, J., & Kim, S.(2016). A Study on the Culture of Students in the Digital Generation. KEDI.
- Moon, K.H., & Kim, H.P(2015). The Effects of Robot Education Program Applied with Storytelling of Elementary School Students Creativities and Interests about Robots. Journal of Korean Practical Arts Education. 21(1). 1-15.
- Nam, C.W., & Ka, E.A.(2014). Developing a Teaching and Learning Model for Digital Storytelling-based Instruction. The Korean Society for Educational Technology. 30(4), 679-715.
- No, H., Park, S., & Choi M.(2012). Educational Strategy and Educational Technology. KyoungGi: Kyoyookbook.
- Ohler, J.B.(2013). Digital Storytelling in the Classroom(2nd Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Park, J.(2014). A study of digital storytelling based programming education. Journal of the Korea Society of Computer and Information. 19(5), 119-128. https://doi.org/10.9708/jksci.2014.19.5.119
- Park, J., & Kim, C.(2012). An effect of storytelling-based robot programming class. Journal Of The Korean Association of information Education. 16(2), 211-222.
- P21(2007). Framework for 21st Century Learning.
- Shim, Y.S.(2014). Study on the method of storytelling teaching-learning using Prezi. Journal of Communication Design, 46, 224-231.
- Yang, Y.(2012). Teaching English Through Storytelling in Children's English Education. Story&ImageTelling, 4, 101-124.
- Yoh, K.(2005). Market society, cultural literacy, media literacy. The Journal of Criticism and Theory, 10(1), 83-101.