- Volume 33 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Responsive Pneumatic Facade with Adaptive Openings for Natural Ventilation
창호의 개폐조절을 기반으로 한 리스펀시브 뉴메틱 파사드
- Lee, Jisun ;
- Lee, Hyunsoo (Department of Interior Architecture and Built Environment, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.05.31
- Accepted : 2017.11.23
- Published : 2017.12.26
The building skins are important architectural elements in both functional and aesthetical aspects. This study focuses on developing a responsive facade with autonomous opening and closing behaviors in accordance with environmental conditions and user requirements for natural ventilation for the office building. The pneumatic ETFE panels are applied as the skin materials taking advantage of the efficiency of the inflatable skin of lightness, architectural performance and sustainable material properties. The biomimetic design methodology is taken for its innovative and visionary concept for the facade design. The interpretation of the building facade in analogy to natural organisms delivers functional and aesthetic characters. By exploring the structural movements of the plant pores, the facade control is developed to be autonomous by the parameter values. The facade opening and closing configurations are derived through parametric modeling and visualization programming. Through the application of this study, expected results are to improve user comfort and energy efficiency.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Burgert, I. & Fratzl, P. (2009). Actuation systems in plants as prototypes for bioinspired devices. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, 367(1893), 1541-1557.
- Cho, J., Hong, M. & Yoo, C. (2010). Effective openable area and position of windows for high-rise residences with (single-sided) natural ventilation, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 26(2), 247-254.
- D'Oca, S., Fabi, V., Corgnati, S. P. & Andersen, R. K. (2014). Effect of thermostat and window opening occupant behavior models on energy use in homes. Building Simulation, 7(6), 683-694. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12273-014-0191-6
- Fabi, V., Andersen, R. V., Corgnati, S. & Olesen, B. W. (2012). Occupants' window opening behaviour: A literature review of factors influencing occupant behaviour and models. Building and Environment, 58, 188-198. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2012.07.009
- Hu, J., Chen, W., Zhao, B. & Yang, D. (2017). Buildings with ETFE foils: A review on material properties, architectural performance and structural behavior. Construction and Building Materials, 131, 411-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.11.062
- Pesenti, M., Masera, G., Fiorito, F. & Sauchelli, M. (2015). Kinetic solar skin: a responsive folding technique. Energy Procedia, 70, 661-672. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.02.174
- Pohl, G. & Nachtigall, W. (2015). Biomimetics for Architecture & Design: Nature - Analogies - Technology, Switzerland, Springer International Publishing AG, 5.
- Robinson-Gayle, S., Kolokotronia, M. & Cripps, A. (2001). ETFE foil cushions in roofs and atria, Construction and Building Materials, 15, 323-332.
- Robinson, Leslie A. (2005). Structural Opportunities of Ethylene Tetra Fluoro Ethylene, Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Rijal, H. B., Tuohy, P., Humphreys, M. A., Nicol, J. F., Samuel, A. & Clarke, J. (2007). Using results from field surveys to predict the effect of open windows on thermal comfort and energy use in buildings. Energy and buildings, 39(7), 823-836. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2007.02.003
- Stazi, F., Naspi, F., Ulpiani, G. & Di Perna, C. (2017). Indoor air quality and thermal comfort optimization in classrooms developing an automatic system for windows opening and closing. Energy and Buildings, 139, 732-746. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2017.01.017
- Warren, P. & Parkins, L. (1984). Window-opening behaviour in office buildings. Building Services Engineering Research and Technology, 5(3), 89-101. https://doi.org/10.1177/014362448400500301
- Yom, Y., Chun, C. & Kwak, R. (2011). Relation between occupant satisfaction and windows operation in office buildings, Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea, Planning and Design Section, 27(1), 221-228
- ASHRAE Standard 62.1-2004 section 5.1, 2004
- Media-TIC. Retrieved Dec. 1, 2016 from www.ruiz-geli.com/projects/built/media-tic
- Breathing Skins. Retrieved Jan. 15, 2017 from www.breathingskins.com
- Flectofin. Retrieved Jan. 15, 2017 from www.str-ucture.com
- Muscle Facade. Retrieved from Dec. 1, 2016 www.bk.tudelft.nl
- Stomata. Retrieved Dec. 1, 2016 from asknature.org