- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Relationship Between Self-Esteem and Adolescent Depression: Moderating Effects of Parental Empathy
자아존중감과 청소년 우울성향의 관계에서 부모공감의 조절효과
- Received : 2017.10.18
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the moderating effect of perceived parental empathy in the relationship between self-esteem and adolescent depression. A sample of 437 adolescents completed self-report measures of self-esteem, depression and parental empathy. The collected data were analyzed by hierarchical regression analysis. As a result, parental empathy moderated relationship between self-esteem and depression. And awareness of emotion, empathic emotional reaction, and cold emotional reaction of father had moderating effect on the relationship between self-esteem and depression. In case of mother's empathy, cold emotional reaction and excessive emotional reaction had moderating effect on the relationship between self-esteem and depression. The significance of this study is to find out the important of parental empathy for depressive adolescents who are experiencing self-esteem of low level.
Parental Empathy;Awareness of Emotion;Empathic Emotional Reaction;Cold Emotional Reaction;Excessive Emotional Reaction
- K, Glaser, "Masked depression in children and adolescents", American Journal of Psychotherapy, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 565-574, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.psychotherapy.1922.214.171.1245
- hyun-jung Kim, "A Study for Influential factors on depression of adolescents: protective factors and risk factors", Master's thesis, Kookmin University, 2014.
- Yu-Na Jeong, "The Effects of Paternal Parenting and Adolescents' Self-Esteem on Depression", Master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, 2014.
- M. R. Beam, V. Gil-Rivas, E. Greenberger & C. Chen, "Adolescent problem behavior and depressed mood : Risk and protection within and across social contexts", Journal of Youth and Adolescence, Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 343-357, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1015676524482
- Yun-Hee Kim, Seok-Man Kwon & Su-Gyun Seo, "The Longitudinal Relationship between Peer Relationship Problems and Depression/Anxiety Using Autoregressive Crosslagged Modeling", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 57-79, 2008.
- Chang Seek Lee & Ha Young Jang, "A Study on Variables influencing Adolescents' Depression: Based on Gender Comparison", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 9, pp. 47-54, 2017.
- Young Jun Yoon, "A study on the effect of Emotional Clarity on the adolescents' Depression caused by Academic Stress", Master's thesis, Dongguk University, 2013.
- You Jin Yang & Kyong Mee Chung, "The Effect of the Mother's Parenting Attitudes on Adolescent Depression: The Mediating Role of Avoidant Emotion Regulation and Emotion Clarity", Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 669-688, 2008. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2008.27.3.006
- Eun Jeong & Mi-Ra Jung, "Convergence Effects of Positive Psychological Capital and Social Support in Adolescents on Depression", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 9, pp. 365-373, 2017.
- A. Maslow, Motivation and Personality. New York : Harper & Low, 1954.
- Youngsoon Cho, Moonhee Gang & Kyongok Oh, "ADHD Symptoms, Self-Esteem, and Depression of Juvenile Offenders", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 12, pp. 657-663, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.657
- U. Orth & R. W. Robins, "Understanding the link between low self-esteem and depression", Current Directions in Psychological Science, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 455-460, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/0963721413492763
- Hyun Soon Kim, "The Longitudinal Mediation Effects of Self-Esteem in the Influence of Academic Stress to Adolescents' Depression" Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 409-437, 2014.
- Seon Young Han, "A Study on the Effect of Self-esteem and Stress of the Youth on Depression", Master's thesis, Wonkwang University, 2011.
- R. W. Robins, K. H. Trzesniewski, J. L. Tracy, S. D. Gosling & J. Potter, "Global self-esteem across the life span", Psychology and Aging, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 423-434, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0882-79126.96.36.1993
- Su Young Koh, "Influence of Parental Attachment on Adolescents' Depression: The Mediation Effect of Emotion Regulation Styles", Master's thesis, Yonsei University, 2013.
- Shin Ae Woo, "Effects of Interactive Parent-Children Communication Perceived by the Youth on the Peer Conflict, Depression and Behavioral Problem of Youth". Master's thesis, Myong Ji University, 2008.
- Tae-San Choi & Ja-Kyoung Kim, "The Influence of School Adjustment and Perceived Parental Attitude on the Depression of School-Aged Children: The Moderating Effects of Perceived Parental Attitude", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 22, No. 12, pp. 595-617, 2015.
- H. kohut, The restoration of the self. New York: International Universities Press, 1977.
- C. R. Rogers, Client-centered therapy. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1951.
- Bok In Kim & In Soo Lee, "The Relationship between Parental Empathy and Happiness Perceived by Adolescents: Mediating Effects of Self-Acceptance", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 20, No. 6, pp. 195-218, 2013.
- Jung Mi Kim, "The Moderating Effect of Optimism and Perceived Parental Empathy in the Relation between School-related Stress and Depression", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 203-225, 2014.
- Seung Bin Park, "The Influence of Maladaptive Thought on Adolescent Depression: The Moderating Effect of Parental Empathy". Master's thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, 2015.
- L. S. Radloff, "The CES-D scale: A self-report depression scale for research in the general population", Applied Psycholigical Measurement, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 385-401, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1177/014662167700100306
- Kyum Koo Chon, Sang-Chin Choi & Beyong-Chang Yang, "Integrated Adaptation of CES-D in Korea", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 59-76, 2001.
- M. Rosenberg, Society and the adolescent self image. NJ: Princeton University Press, 1965.
- Yong-Joo J, "The Study for the Development Validation of Parental Empathy Inventory Perceived by Adolescents", Ph.D. dissertation, The Catholic University, 2010.
- S. Assari, "Association Between Self-Esteem and Depressive Symptoms Is Stronger Among Black than White Older Adults", Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 687-695, 2016.
- So Yeon Kim, "The realation of Parental Empathy to Elementary School Students' Empathy and Attitudes of Respect for Others; Self-Esteem as a Mediator, Master's thesis, Han Yang University, 2016.
- Hee Sung Kim, "The effects of parental empathy on the adolescent's empathy, self-esteem, parent-child relationship", Master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, 2011.