- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Impact of the Private Insurance Benefits and the medical Care Expenditure on Household Income Inequality
가구소득불평등에 민간보험수입과 의료비본인부담지출이 미친 영향
- Received : 2017.10.19
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of private insurance revenues and household spending on household income inequality. To this end, we conducted a concentration index and concentration curve analysis for the income level of medical panel survey data in 2015. The main results are as follows. First, the household income concentration ratio is 0.3580, which means that income is concentrated in the high income group, and the degree of inequality is considerably large. Second, although the portion of the private insurance benefits was small on the high-income household, it helped to strengthen the benefits concentration on this group. Third, the low income group has a large self-pay medical expense. Finally, the index of the income excluding the burden of the total medical expenses in the household income was 0.3676, so that even accounting for medical expenses, the income was concentrated in the high income class. Therefore, private insurance benefits and medical expenses were all contributing factors to the inequality of household income, and this study provides the essential materials for research and policy planning which could lead to the convergence of different fields.
Social polarization;Health care equity;Concentration index;Income class;Convergence
- Eu-Gene Kim, Younhee Kim, "Burden of Private Health Insurance Premium and Effect of Private Health Insurance Premium reducing the burden of medical expenditure", Health Economics and Policy Studies, Vol.23, No.1, pp.97-122, 2017.
- Kee-Chul Shin, "Discussions on the Empirical Study on Health Care Consumptions by Private Health Insurance Policyholders", Health and Social Research, Vol.35, No.4, pp.5-34, 2015.
- Kee-Chun Choi, Hyun-Bok Lee, "The Proper Role of National Health Insurance and Private Health Insurance", Health and Welfare Forum, Vol.248, pp.30-43, 2017.
- Sung-Joo Kim, "Growth of private health insurance and threat of health insurance system", National Audit Policy Directory, 2015
- Do-Young Kim, "Analysis of healthcare service usage gap according to income level by health status", Social Science Research, Vol. 23, No.1, pp.119-152, 2012.
- Jung-Ho Park, "The Effects of the Characteristics of the Householder and the Perception of the Protection of National Health Insurance on Private Health Insurance Subscription", Korean Social Policy, Vol.22 No.1, pp.217-241, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17000/kspr.22.1.201503.217
- Yong-Jae Lee, "Effects of Private Health Insurance in National Health Care System", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.14, No.1, pp.200-208, 2014.
- Yong-Jae Lee, "Family Income Inequality and Medical Care Expenditure In Korea", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.16,No.8, pp.366-375, 2016.
- Young-Sung Yoo, Jun-sik Park, "Household debt, the core of the problem and its solution", GRI Issue & Analysis, No.289, pp.1-21, 2017.
- Hyun-Joo Lee, "Consumption Characteristics of low-income Household and their Implications", KIHASA ISSUE & FOCUS No.331, 2017.
- Colombo F, Tapay N. "Private health insurance in OECD countries: The Benefits and Costs for Individuals and Health Systems". OECD Health Working Papers, N015, 2004.
- Kwan-Ok Kim, Young-Jeon Shin, "Effects of Buying a Medical Insurance for Actual Expense on Medical Cost", Journal of Critical Social Policy, No.54, pp.305-34, 2017.
- Kee Taig Jung, En Kyu Shin, Chang Hwan Kwak, "An Empirical Study on the Relationship between Private Health Insurance and Moral Hazar", Korean Insurance Academic Society, No.75,pp.1-25, 2006.
- Sung Wook Kang, Chang Hoon You, Young Dae Kwon, Eun Hwan Oh, "The impact of having private health insurance on healthcare utilization with controlling for endogeneity", The Korean Association of Health Economics and Policy, Vol.16,No.1, pp.139-159, 2010.
- Hyun Boc Lee, Sang Wook Nam, "An Empirical Study of Private Health Insurance and Healthcare Utilizatio"', Korean Insurance Academic Society, Vol.95,No.95, pp.1-24, 2013.
- Chang Hoon You, Sung Wook Kang, Young Dae Kwon, Eun Hwan Oh, "The effects of supplementary private health insurance on healthcare utilization and expenditures: indemnity vs fixed-benefit", The Korean Social Security Association, Vol.27,No.1, pp.277-292, 2011.
- Dae Hwan Kim, "Effects of Fee-For-Service Health Insurance on Medical Consumption", Korean Insurance Academic Society, No.98, pp.61-90, 2014.
- Eun-Cheol Song, Young-Jeon Shin, "The Effect of Catastrophic Health Expenditure on the Transition to Poverty and the Persistence of Poverty in South Korea", Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Vol43, No5, pp.423-435, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.5.423
- Sun-Hwa Lee, Sin Gam, Won-Kee Lee, "The Trend in Household Catastrophic Medical Expenditure according to Healthcare Coverage Types and Its Associated Factors", Journal of the Korea Academia - Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.16, No.6, pp.4067-4076, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.4067
- Ah-Rae-Mi Kim, "A Study on Poverty Duration and Its Determinants: Focusing on Type of Household [dissertation]". The University of Seoul, 2006.
- Kyoseong Kim, Hae-Jin Noh. "An Empirical study of poverty exit and duration: life table analysis and hierarchical generalized linear analysis". Social welfare policy, Vol.36,No.3, pp.185-212, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15855/swp.2009.36.3.185
- In-Hoe Ku, "Poverty dynamics in Korea: poverty duration and its determinants". Korean Journal of Social Welfare, Vol.57,No.2, pp.351-374, 2005.