- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on perceptions about physical restraint use of nurse in small and medium sized hospitals
중소병원 간호사의 신체 억제대 사용에 대한 인식
- Kim, NamSuk (Dept. of Nursing, ChejuHalla University)
- 김남석 (제주한라대학교 간호학과)
- Received : 2017.07.26
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
This study was conducted to investigate the perception of nurse's use of physical restraints. This study is a descriptive research study for 138 nurses who work at the small hospitals under 300 beds. Statistical analysis was performed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, and factor analysis using the SPSS statistical program. The results of this study were as follows: The overall average of the nurses' perception of physical restraint was
- A. P. Retsas, "Survey findings describing the use of physical restraints in nursing homes in Victoria Australia. International Journal of Nursing Studies", Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 184-191, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0020-7489(98)00027-3
- G. Meyer, S. Kopke, B. Haastert, & I. Muhlhauser, "Restraint use among nursing home residents: Cross-sectional study and prospective cohort study. Journal of Clinical Nursing", Vol. 18, No.7, pp.981-990, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02460.x
- E. H. Kong, L. K. Evans, "Nursing Staff Views of Barriers to Physical Restraint Reduction in Nursing Homes. Asian Nursing Research", Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 173-180, 2012. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2012.10.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anr.2012.10.007
- D. Laurin, P. Voyer, R. Verreault, & P. J. Durand, "Physical restraint use among nursing home residents: a comparison of two data collection methods. BMC Nursing", 3, 5, 2004. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1472-6955-3-5.
- H. T. Huang, Y. H. Chuang, K. F. Chiang, "Nurses' physical restraint knowledge, attitudes and practices: the effectiveness of an in-service education program. Journal of Nursing Research", Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 241-248, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/0.1097/JNR.0b013e3181c1215d. https://doi.org/10.1097/JNR.0b013e3181c1215d
- Y. A. Cho, J. S. Kim, N. Kim, H. J. Choi, J. K. Jo, H. J. Lee, R. I. Kim, Y. H. Seong, "A Study on the Use of Physical Restraints in ICUs. Journal of Adult Nursing", Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 543-552, 2006.
- M. Brenner, "A need to protect: Parents' Experiences of the Practice of Restricting a Child for a Clinical Procedure in Hospital. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing", Vol. 36, No. 1-2, pp. 5-16, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/01460862.2013.768312 https://doi.org/10.3109/01460862.2013.768312
- S. Goethals, B. Dierckx de Casterle, C. Gastmans, "Nurses' decision-making in cases of physical restraint: a synthesis of qualitative evidence. Journal of Advanced Nursing", Vol. 68, No. 6, pp. 1198-1210, 2012. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1111 /j.1365-2648.2011.05909. x.Epub 2011 Dec 28. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05909.x
- Y. H. Chuang, H. T. Huang, "Nurses' feelings and thoughts about using physical restraints on hospitalized older patients, Journal of Clinical Nursing", Vol. 16, pp 486-494, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2006.01563.x
- M. Ralph, G. Meyer, "Attitudes of nurses towards the use of physical restraints in geriatric care: A systematic review of qualitative and quantitative studies. International Journal of Nursing Studies", Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 274-288, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.004 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.004
- K. S. Kwak, S. E. Kim, E. K. Bae, E. S. Lee, E. H. Lee, Y. J. Choi, Y. K. Lee, "Decreasing the application rate of unnecessary physical restraint through the establishment of a guideline for restraint application. Quality Improvement in Health Care", Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 93-103, 2009.
- K. S. Kim, J. H. Kim, S. H. Lee, H. K. Cha, S. S. Jeong, S. A. Chi, "The physical restraint use in hospital nursing situation. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing", Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 60-71, 2000. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2000.30.1.60
- J. E. Agens, "Chemical and physical restraint use in the older person. British Journal of Medical practitioners", Vol. 3, No. 1 pp. 302-307, 2010.
- C. Kruger, H. Mayer, B. Haastert, G. Meyer, "Use of physical restraints in acute hospitals in Germany: A multi-centre cross-sectional study. International Journal of Nursing Studies", Vol. 50, No. 12, pp. 1599-1606, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.05.005
- A. F. Minnick, L. C. Mion, M. E. Johnson, C. Cartrambone, R. Leipzig, "Prevalence and variation of physical restraint use in acute care settings in the US. Journal of Nursing Scholarship ", Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 30-37, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2007.00140.x
- Korea Institute for Healthcare Accreditation, Hospital Certification Criteria on 2015, available from https://www.koiha.or.kr/member/kr/board/ establish/establish_ BoardList.do, Retrieved May, 27, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.05.005
- E. Choi, M. Song, "Physical restraint use in a Korea ICU. Journal of Clinical Nursing", Vol.12, No. 5, pp. 651-659, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2702.2003.00789.x
- J. S. Kim, H. Y. Oh, "Perceptions and attitude on use of physical restraints among caregivers in long term care facilities. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society", Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 347-360, 2006.
- H. K. Kang, "A Study on caregiver's perception of restraints. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 452-458, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.452 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.5.452
- K. Choi, J. Kim, "Effects of an Educational Program for the Reduction of Physical Restraint Use by Caregivers in Geriatric Hospitals. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing", Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 769-780, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.769 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2009.39.6.769
- D. H, Kim, C. Kim, E. M. Kim, M. S. Park, "Application of physical restraints by health personnel in nursing homes. Journal of Korean Gerontology Nursing", Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 131-141, 2011.
- K. J. Lee, G. S. Park, Y. S. Park, "Family member's perceptions of side rail use in geriatric hospital. Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 14 No. 12, pp. 503-513, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.503
- J. M. Yeo, M. H. Park. "Effects of on education program for nurses on the use of restraints. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing", Vol. 36, No. 3, pp. 532-541, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.3.532
- S. H. Suk, "Improvements during the second cycle healthcare accreditation program in Korea: Toward the global standard for patient safety and quality of healthcare.Journal of the Korean Medical Association." Vol. 57, No. 8, pp. 646-649, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2014.57.8.646 https://doi.org/10.5124/jkma.2014.57.8.646
- N. E. Strumpf, L. K. Evans, "Physical restraint of the hospitalized elderly: Perceptions of patients and nurses. Nursing Research", Vol. 37, pp. 132-137, 1988.
- R C. MacCallum, K. F .Widaman, S .B. Zhang, S. H. Hong, "Sample size in factor analysis. Psychological Methods", Vol. 4, No.1 pp. 84-99, 1999. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037//1082-989X.4.1.84 https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.4.1.84
- D. E. McCabe, C. D. Alvarez, S. R. McNulty, J. J. Fizpatrick, "Perceptions of Physical Restraints Use in the Elderly Among Registered Nurses and Nurse Assistants in a Single Acute Care Hospital Journal of Geriatric Nursing", Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 39-45, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2010.10.010
- K. J. Lee, M. S. Kwon, "Perceptions of nurses, nurse assistants, and families on the use of physical restraints with elderly people in care facilities. Journal of Korean Gerontological Nursing", Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 158-168, 2001.
- E. J. Song, Y. S. Park, H. S. Ji, H. K. Lee, "Factors affecting on the Clinical nurse's safety nursing activity. Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 469-479, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.11.469
- J. U. Kim, G. A. Yang, S. H. Yun, "Korean hospital environment associated with patient safety and communication process in recognition of a nurse." Healthcare Informatics Research. Vol. 10, pp. 130-135, 2004.
- M. R. Lee, "The Relationship among Dementia care Knowledge, Attitudes toward to dementia and Approach to dementia care of Nurses. Journal of Digital Convergence", Vol. 14, No. 12, pp. 357-367, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.357
- T. Lee, K. H. Kang, Y. K. Ko, S. H. Cho, E. Y. Kim, "Issues and Challenges of Nurse Workforce Policy: A Critical Review and Implication. Journal of Academy Nursing Administration." Vo1. 20, No. 1, pp. 106-116, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.106 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.106
- J. K. Kim, M. J. Kim, S. Y. Kim, M. Yu, K. A. Lee, "Effects of general hospital nurses' work environment on job embeddedness burnout", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 69-81, 2014. DOI: https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.69 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.1.69
- Y. G. Lee, E. H. Cho, S. A. Kim, J. K. Kim, M. H. Kim, H. E. Kim, "The study on physical restraint use in intensive care unit(ICU). Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research." Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 117-130, 2003.