- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Line of Action Shown in Characters' Poses of a Game 'Over Watch'
게임 '오버워치' 캐릭터의 Pose에 나타난 Line of Action 연구
- Lee, YuSeop (Dept. of Multimedia, Graduate School of Digital Image and Contents, Dongguk University) ;
- Chung, JeanHun (Dept. of Multimedia, Graduate School of Digital Image and Contents, Dongguk University)
- Received : 2017.10.13
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
In spite of lots of differences in the production process of film animation, the animating method through computer is not much different between game animation and film animation. It is because the principles of film animation are also emphasized for the production of game animation. This study aims to consider the line of action showing the direction of movement and flow of energy among many considerations for the character pose work in case when producing game animation. Starting from the basic theory of drawing, the line of action plays a role of bible in the pose work including cell animation and 3D animation. After examining the theoretical background through preceding researches in order to understand the application of the line of action to the pose work of game characters, the poses of hero characters of a 3D online game 'Over Watch' were collected and then lines were directly drawn to analyze them. And as a result, the pose of characters with simple and clear 'Line of action' was good. This study aimed to consider the expression techniques of character pose in the production of game animation, which is expected to be used as an important reference for game animators at work.
- S. H. Heo, Character animation, vielbook p.39, p.51, 2017.
- Rich Williams, animator's survival kit. Hanul, p.46, 2004.
- Y. C. Kim. "A Study on Good Pose in Pose to Pose", Korean Society of Cartoon and Animation Studies, pp.57-73, 2015.
- Y. K. Choi, "A Study on the Characters' Expression of Emotion using Lines in Animation", The Korean Journal of animation, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.102-118, 2012.
- Y. H. Lee, "A Study on Features and Methods of Approach in 3D Character Animation", The Korean Journal of animation, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp.177-193, 2014.
- S. R Kim, J. H. Chung. "By Basic Plane Figure, An Analysis Study on Appearance Type of Character in Domestic Kids TV Animation", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 397-405, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.4.397
L. G.. Lee, J. H. Chung, "A Study on Visual Mise-en-Scene of VR Animation
" Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15 No. 9, pp.407-413, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.9.407
- D. H. Yang, S. K. Kim, "The Design of 2D Side-Scrolling Casual Games in a Multi-platform Environment", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 147-152, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.4.147
- Y. S. Lee, "A Study of The Idle Motion of the character 'JUNKRAT' in The Game 'Over watch'", Journal of Convergence Contents, Vol. 2, No. 1, p.22, 2017.
- M. J. Lee, "A Study on Game Production Education through Recent Trend Analysis of 3D Game Engine", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 15-20, 2013. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2013.4.1.015
- S. Y. Lee, "A Study on Realization of In-game Animation", Korean Society of Cartoon and Animation Studies, Vol. No. 42, pp. 177-194, 2016. https://doi.org/10.7230/KOSCAS.2016.42.177