- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Relationship among Professional Self-concept, Academic Self-efficacy and Major Satisfaction in Nursing Students
간호대학생의 전문직 자아개념, 학업적 자기효능감 및 전공만족도 간의 관계
- Yang, Kyung-Mi (Chonnam Research Institute of Nursing Science)
- 양경미 (전남대학교 간호과학연구소)
- Received : 2017.11.02
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
This study was conducted to identify the relationships among professional self-concept, academic self-efficacy and major satisfaction in nursing students. Data were collected from 137 nursing students by means of self reported questionnaires about professional self-concept, academic self-efficacy, and major satisfaction from October 19 to 23, 2017. The data was analyzed using descriptive statistics, Pearson correlation coefficients, and multiple regression. There were significant correlations among professional self-concept, academic self-efficacy, and major satisfaction. Predictor that has an effect on major satisfaction was professional self-concept among nursing students. This factor explains thirty-six percentile of total variances of major satisfaction. This study suggests that professional self-concept is positively influenced on major satisfaction. To enhance major satisfaction for nursing students, it is necessary to develop specific course or training program in curriculum for increasing professional self-concept.
- B. J. Zimmerman, M. Martinez-Pons, "Student differences in self-regulated learning: Relating grade, sex and giftedness to self-efficacy and strategy use", Journal of Educational Psychology, Vol. 82, pp. 51-59, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.11
- A. Bandura, "Self-efficacy : Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change", Psychological Review, Vol. 84, pp. 191-215, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- A. Y. Kim, I. Y. Park, "Construction and Validation of Academic Self-Efficacy Scale", The Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 95-123, 2001.
- K. McLaughlin, M. Moutray, O. T. Muldoon, "The role of personality and self-efficacy in the selection and retention of successful nursing students: A longitudinal study", Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 61, No. 2, pp. 211-221, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04492.x
- J. A. Lee, "Mediating effect of outcome expectations in the relationship of academic self-efficacy to major adjustment of college students", Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 2329-2344, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.13.5.201210.2329
- I. A. Shaban, W. A. Khater, L. M. Akhu-Zaheya, "Undergraduate nursing students' stress sources and coping behaviors during their initial period of clinical training: A Jordanian perspective", Nurse Education in Practice, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 204-209, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2012.01.005
- H. J. Park, I. S. Jang, "Stress, depression, coping styles and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 14-23, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5977/JKASNE.2010.16.1.014
- H. S. Ha, "A Study of Department Satisfaction and School Satisfaction of Undergraduate Students", Unpublished master' thesis, Seoul National University, 2000.
- M. S. Jung, Y. S. Kang, M. H. Go, D. H. Kim, S. Y. Kim, Introduction to Nursing, Hyunmosa, 2012.
- D. Weis, M. J. Schank, "Professional values: key to professional development", Journal of Nursing Professional Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 271-275, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpnu.2002.129224
- W. H. Seo, "Nursing College Students' Nursing Professional Self-Concept and Their Satisfaction with Clinical Nursing Practicum", Unpublished master' thesis, Kyungpook National University, 2007.
- D. Arthur, "Measurement of the professional self-concept of nurses: Developing a measurement instrument", Nurse Education Today, Vol. 15, pp. 328-335, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-6917(95)80004-2
- J. W. K. Geiger, J. S. Davit, "Self-image and job satisfaction in varied settings", Nursing Management, Vol. 19, No. 12, pp. 50-58, 1989.
- I. S. Park, R. Kim, "Critical Thinking Disposition, Professional Self-Concept and Clinical Competence in Nursing Students", Journal of Health Service Management, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 105-117, 2013.
- M. S. Kim, "Moderating Effects of Self-Esteem and Self-Efficacy in the Relationship between Professional Self-Concept and Satisfaction in their Major among Nursing Students", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education. Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 159-167, 2011.
- Y. M. Kwon, E. J. Yeun, "A Correlation Study on Nursing Professional Values, Department Satisfaction, Sociality, Self-Esteem among Nursing Students", The Journal of Korean Nursing Administration Academic Society, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 285-292, 2007.
- D. J. Kim, J. S. Lee, "Influence of Ego-Resilience and Self-Efficacy on Satisfaction in major of Nursing Student", The Journal of Korean academic society of nursing education, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 244-254, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.2.244
- S. H. Kim, S. Y. Park, "Factors Influencing on Learning Flow of Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, pp. 1557-1565, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1557
- M. K. Jeon, "Factors Influencing Professional Self-Concept among Nursing Students", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 119-129, 2013. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.119
- N. H. Kim, K. W. Kim, "Self-Efficacy, Self-Concept of Professional Nursing, and Clinical Practice Satisfaction to Clinical Practice Education in Nursing Students", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 41-51, 2011. https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2011.5.4.041
- K. Y. Sohng, C. H. Noh, "An Analytical Study of the Professional Self-Concept of Hospital Nurses in Korea", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 94-106, 1996.
- D. J. Lee, "The relationships among satisfaction in major, gender identity, and gender stereotypes of male nursing students", Unpublished master' thesis, Yonsei University, 2004.
- H. W. Kwak, S. W. Hwang, "A comparative study on interpersonal relationship, self-efficacy, and department satisfaction of students majoring in nursing: focus on a four-year technical college and university", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 239-249, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.239
- M. H. Jeong, M. A. Shin. "The Relationship between self-esteem and satisfaction in major of nursing students", The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 170-177, 2006.