- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Stress on the Happiness Index of Nursing College Students : Focusing on Mediating Effects of Optimism
스트레스가 간호대학생의 행복지수에 미치는 영향 : 낙관성의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Kim, Eun-Young (Dept. of Nursing, Gwangju University) ;
- Lim, Kyoung-Suk (Dept. of Nursing, Songwon University)
- Received : 2017.10.19
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the effect of optimism on stress on happiness index. The subjects were 3 and 4 grade students who had clinical practice experience among 3 nursing students at G university, and 362 questionnaires were used as research data. The data analysis used regression analysis, SPSS macro and bootstrapping methods to examine the mediating effects of optimism on college students' stress and happiness. The results showed that stress, happiness, and optimism were significantly correlated, and stress had a direct effect on college students' happiness. In other words, the higher the level of stress, the lower the happiness index of college students. The optimism was partially mediated between stress and college students' happiness index. Therefore, in order to increase the happiness index of college students, it is necessary to develop and implement a program for happiness enhancement as one of the program strategies that can enhance stress.
Supported by : 광주대학교
- J. K. Kim, "A Review Study on Nursing Students Stress for Improvement of Nursing Education", J. of the Korea Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 47-59, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.47 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.1.47
- R. Watson, E. Gardiner, R. Hogston, H. Gibson, A. Stimpson, R. Wrate et al., "Alongitudinal Study of Stress and Psychological Distress in Nurses and Nursing Students", Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 270-278, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02555.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02555.x
- H. Y. Jung, "The Convergence Influence of Life Stress, Depression and Ego Resiliency on College Life Adaptation in Nursing Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 259-568, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.259 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.259
- S. J. Park, B. J. Park, "Relationship of Clinical Practice Stress to Clinical Competence among One College Nursing Students", Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol. 21, No, 4, pp. 313-322, 2013.
- N. H. Jo C. H. Seong, "Effects of Stress and Self-esteem on Depression in Middle-aged Women and Middle-aged Men", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 6, pp. 89-97, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.8.7.089 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.6.089
- World Health O. "Pharmacological Treatment of Mental Disorders in Primary Health Care", Geneva: World Health, Organization. 2009.
- E. Y. Kim, "A Study on Happiness of Nursing Students", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 9, pp. 385-395, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.9.385 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.9.385
- J. G. Kim, H. S. Park, "The Factors Related to Happiness among Nursing Students", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 545-559, 2015.
- J. H. Kim, H. O. Jeon, "Factors Influencing Subjective Happiness in Nursing Students: Focused on Psycho-social Factors", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing", Vol. 25 No. 2, pp. 123-132, 2016. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.2.123 https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2016.25.2.123
- Y. S. Kim, M. Y. Han, "Factors Influencing Happiness Index of Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 501-510, 2015. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.5.501 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2015.21.5.501
- G. Y. Jo, H. S. Park, "Predictors of Subjective Happiness for Nursing Students", The Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 160-169, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.160 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2011.12.1.160
- W. H. Jun, K. S. Cha, K. L. Lee, "Factors Affecting Subjective Well-being in Nursing Students", Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol.21, No. 2, pp. 276-284, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2015.21.2.276
- S. H. Kim, S. H. Lee, "The Influence of Job-seeking Stress, Career Decision-making Self-efficacy, Self-esteem and Academic Achievement on Nursing Students' Happiness", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 63-72, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.1.63 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.1.63
- H. S. Park, "Stress, Yangsaeng and Subjective Happiness among Female Undergraduate Nursing Students in the Republic of Korean", J. of the Korea Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 471-481, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.471 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2014.20.4.471
- D. Ruiz-Aranda, N. Extremera, C. Pineda-Galan, "Emotional Intelligence, Life Satisfaction and Subjective Happiness in Female Student Health Professionals: The Mediating Effect of Perceived Stress", Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 106-113, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/jpm.12052 https://doi.org/10.1111/jpm.12052
- B. H. Son, Y. M. Kim, I. G. Jun, "A Study on Nursing Students's Job Esteem, Work Values, and Satisfaction of Their Major", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 240-249, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5807/kjohn.2011.20.3.240
- J. S. Jun, K. H. Shin, W. S. Gim et al., "The Difference of Diabetes Stress on Depression: The Moderating Effects of Individual Variables", Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 851-868, 2007.
- M. J. Kim, H. K, Lee, "The Effect of Optimism on Psychological Well-Being: Cognitive Emotion Regulation Strategies and Social Support as a Mediating Variable", Catholic Journal of Social Science, Vol. 25, pp. 49-67, 2009.
- M. E. P Seligman, Authentic Happiness ed. Mulpure Publishing(Gyeonggi-do), 2006.
- H. S. Kim, Y. S. Lee, C. S. Kim, "The Effects of Happiness Enhancement Program of College Students: Repeated Measure Mediated Effects of Hardiness and Optimism on Subjective-well being", The Korean J. of Health Psychology, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 499-514, 2010. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2010.15.3.008
- K. M. Bellizzi, T. O. Blank, "Predicting Posttraumatic Growth in Breast Cancer Survivors", Health Psychology, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 47-56, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6126.96.36.199
- S. J. Kim, M. S. Kim, S. H. Yeo, "The Relation of Resilience, Positive Psychological Capital and School Adaptation of Middle School Students of Broken Family", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp. 525-535, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.9.525 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.9.525
- H. Y. Jung, J. Y. Lee, "The Relationship between Optimism and School Adjustment among Adolescents: The Mediating Effects of Self-efficacy and Stress Coping", The Koran J. of Counseling, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 2367-2381, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.4.200912.2367
- T. Cassidy, M. Giles, M. McLaughlin, "Psychological Capital and Health: A Resource Model of Stress using Structural Equation Modelling", Current Advances in Psychology Research, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-7, 2014.
- J. S. Park, T. Y. Jung, "Life-stress and Happiness between Protestants and Non-believers in Middle-age: The Moderating Effects of Optimism, Self-regulation, and Religiosity", Korean Journal of Stress Research, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 31-38, 2011.
- J. S. Yoo, S. J. Chang, E. K. Choi, J. W. Park, "Development of A Stress Scale for Korean Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 410-419, 2008. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.410
- M. F. Scheier, C. S. Carver, M. W. Bridges, "Distinguishing Optimism from Neuroticism(and Trait Anxiety, Self-mastery, and Self-esteem): A Reevaluation of The Life Orientation Test", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 67, No. 6, pp. 1063-1078, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- S. H. Kim, Psychological Characteristics of Realistic and Unrealistic Optimists. Catholic University, Unpublished master's thesis, 2003.
- E. K. Suh, J. S. Koo, "A Concise Measure of Subjective Well-being (COMSSWB): Scale Development and Validation", Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 25, No. 1, 95-113, 2011.
- R. M. Baron, D. A. Kenny, "The Moderator-mediator Variable Distinction in Social Psychological Research: Conceptual, Strategic, and Statistical Considerations", Society for Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- K. J. Preacher, J. P. Selig, "Advantages of Monte Carlo Confidence Intervals for Indirect Effects, Communication Methods & Measures", Vol. 6, pp. 67-98, 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19312458.2012.679848
- P. E. Shrout, N. Bolger, "Mediation in Experimental and Nonexperimental Studies: New Procedures and Recommendations", Psychological Methods, Vol. 7, No, 4, pp. 422-445, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1111/bmsp.12028 https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.7.4.422
- A. F. Hayes, K. J. Preacher, Statistical Mediation Analysis with a Multicategorical Independent Variable, Manuscript Submitted for Publication, 2012.
- Y. S. Song, "Stressful Life Events and Quality of Life in Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 18, No, 1, pp. 71-80, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.071 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2012.18.1.071
- H. H. Cho, J. M. Kang, "Factors Influencing Clinical Practice Burnout in Student Nurses", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 199-206, 2017. https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.2.199 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.2.199
- B. J. Park1, S. J. Park, H. N. Cho, "The Relationship between Clinical Practice Stress, Satisfaction of Clinical Practice, Clinical Performance Ability and the Nursing Profession in Nursing College Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 7 pp. 220-227, 2016. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.220 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.7.220
- K. H. Lee "Mediation Effect of Clinical Practice Satisfaction in the Relationship between Nursing Students' Powerlessness and Nursing Image", Journal of East-West Nursing Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 26-34, 2010.
- M. S. Lee, K. S. Kim, M. K. Cho, J. W. Ahn, S. N. Kim, "Study of Stress, Health Promotion Behavior, and Quality of Life of Nursing Students in Clinical Practice and Factors Associated with Their Quality of Life", The Journal of Muscle and Joint Health, Vol. 21 No. 2, pp. 125-134, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2014.21.2.125
- G. Y. Choi "The Relationship between Perceptions of Nursing College Students Regarding Clinical Practice Environment and Related Variables", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing. Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 129-139, 2009.
- J. Y. Han, H. S. Park, "Effects of Teaching Effectiveness and Clinical Learning Environment on Clinical Practice Competency in Nursing Students", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 365-372, 2011.
- D. Keith, M. E. P. "Seligman, Is Optimism Heritable?: A Study of Twins", Behavioral Research and Therapy, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 569-574, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(93)90108-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(93)90108-7
- J. C. L. Lai, "Dispositional Optimism Buffers the Impact of Daily Hassles on Mental Health in Chinese Adolescents", Personality and Individual Differences, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 247-249, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2009.03.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2009.03.007
- J. W. Lee, "The Relationship among Daily Stress, Optimism and Psychological Well-Being of College Students", The Korean Journal of East West Science, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 1-17, 2016.