- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The relationship among Emotional Intelligence, Critical Thinking Disposition, Professional Self-Concept and Problem Solving Skills for Nursing Students
간호대학생의 감성지능, 비판적 사고성향, 전문직 자아개념 및 문제해결능력 간의 관계
- Lee, Oi Sun (Department of Nursing, Changshin University) ;
- Noh, Yoon Goo (Department of Nursing, Changwon National University)
- Received : 2017.10.18
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
This study was done to identify the relationship between emotional intelligence, critical thinking disposition professional self-concept and problem solving skills of nursing students. Subjects were 212 associate nursing students associate nursing students(3rd and 4th grade) in Korea. The data were collected using self -report questionnaire from February 20 to March 30, 2017. Data were analyzed by frequencies, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation using SPSS Win 18.0. The score for emotional intelligence was 3.59, critical thinking disposition scoring 3.47, professional Self-Concept scoring 3.45 and problem solving skills scoring 3.45. Problem solving skills were significantly strong positive correlation with emotional intelligence(r=.68, p<.001), critical thinking disposition(r=.77, p<.001), Professional Self-Concept(r=.66, p<.001) in nursing students. Emotional intelligence, critical thinking disposition and professional self-concept explained 65.1% of total variance of problem solving skills of nursing students. Therefore, To increase problem solving skills of nursing students, it is necessary to develop and test the program for increase emotional intelligence, critical thinking disposition and professional self-concept of nursing students.
Critical thinking disposition;Emotional intelligence;Professional self-concept;Problem solving skills;Nursing students
- D. Chan, "Development of the clinical learning environment inventory: Using of the theoretical framework of learning environment studies to assess nursing students perception of the hospital as a learning environment", Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 41, No. 2, pp.69-75, 2002.
- P. McLagan, "Great ideas revisited: Job competency models". Training& Deve, Vol. 50, No.1, pp.60-65, 1996.
- S. O. Kim, S. M. Kim.,"Effects of Team-Based Learning Applying for Nursing Students on Critical Thinking Ability, Problem Solving Ability and Communication Ability", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 1151-1161, 2016.
- S. K. Chaung, "Critical Thinking Disposition, Problem Solving Ability, and Clinical Competence in Nursing Students", Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 71-78, 2011.
- D. H. Kim, J. Y. Park, N. Y. Lee. "Factors Influencing Problem Solving Ability among Nursing Students". Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 1551-1563, 2012.
- Korean Education development Institute, "Study onthe development of the life-skills: communication, problem solving, and self-directed learning", RR2003-15-03, Korean Education development Institute.
- S. H. Yang, I. O. Sim, "Relationship between Problem Solving Ability, Critical Thinking Disposition, Creativity, Self Efficacy and Nursing Process Competence of Nursing Students", The Korea Contents Association, Vol.16, No. 5, pp. 612-622, 2016.
- H. J. Kim, G. J. Gun, S. H. Lee, "Factors Influencing Problem Solving Abilities of Nursing Students", The Society of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 295-307, 2017. DOI : http://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.295 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.295
- S. H. Han, "Factors Affecting Problem Solving Ability among Nursing Students", The Convergent Research Society Among Humanities, Sociology, Science and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 245-254, 2017. DOI : http://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.05.53 https://doi.org/10.14257/ajmahs.2017.05.53
- C. S. Wong, & K. S. Law, "The effects of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: An exploratory study", The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.243-274, 2002. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1 https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- D. Goleman. "Emotional intelligence : Why it can Matter More Than IQ". Bantam Books, New York, 1995.
- S. Shahbazi, M. Heidari, M. Shirvani, "Assessment relationship between problem solving skill and emotional intelligence in nursing students", Journal of Jokull, pp.307-314, 2014.
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, "Development and Effects of Emotional Intelligence Program for Undergraduate Nursing Students: Mixed Methods Research", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 44, No. 6, pp.682-696, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.682 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2014.44.6.682
- O. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, M. J. Kim, ""Influence of Critical Thinking Disposition and Emotional Intelligence on Clinical Competence in Nursing Students", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp.380-388, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.380 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.1.380
- J. Yun. "Development of an Instrument for the Measurement of Critical Thinking Disposition : In Nursing". Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Catholic University, 2004.
- N. Facione, P. Facione, &M. Sanchez. "Critical-thinking disposition as a measure of competent clinical judgment: the development of the California Critical Thinking Disposition Inventory". The Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 33, No. 8, pp.345-350, 1994. DOI : http://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.612
- D. J. Kim, S. H. Yun, "Influence of Communication Competence and Critical Thinking Disposition on Problem-Solving Skills of Nursing Students", Korean Academy on Communication in Healthcare, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp.167-177, 2016. DOI : http://doi.org/10.15715/kjhcom.2016.11.2.167 https://doi.org/10.15715/kjhcom.2016.11.2.167
- D. Arthur, "Measuring the Professional Self-Concept of Nurses: a critical review", Journal of Advenced Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 712-719, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1992.tb01969.x
- K. S. Kim, J. H. Choi, "A Study on Problem Solving Ability of Nursing Students", Advanced Science and Technology Letters, pp.357-361, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/astl.2014.47.81 https://doi.org/10.14257/astl.2014.47.81
- I. S. Park, R. Kim, "Critical Thinking Disposition, Professional Self-Concept and Clinical Competence in Nursing Students", The Korean Journal of Health Service Management, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp.105-117, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7 https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2013.7.4.105
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. G. Lang, & A. Buchner, "Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses", Behavior Research Methods, No. 41, pp.1149-1160, 2009. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149 https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- P. J. Hwang, "A Study on the Influence of AnEmployee's Emotional Intelligence on Organizational Effectiveness". Unpublished master's thesis, Sogang University, 2007.
- H. R. Song, "Comparative study of professional self-concept and caring perception in nurses and nursing students", Unpublished master's thesis, Eulji University, 2010.
- E. J. Ji, M. R. Bang, H. J. Jeon, "Ego Resilience, Communication Ability and Problem-Solving Ability in Nursing Students". The Korean Academic Society Of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 571-579, 2013. DOI : http://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.571 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.4.571
- S. O, Kim "Problem-Solving Ability, Self-Directed Learning Ability and Confidence of Core Fundamental Nursing Skill Performance", Unpublished master's thesis, Konyang University, 2017.
- E. Y. Karabulutlu1, S. Yilmaz, A. Yurttas1, "The Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence Levels of Students and Problem- Solving Skills", Educational Research and Reviews, Vol .8, No. 24, pp. 2339-2345, 2013. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5897/ERR2013.1584
- H. J. Dong, M. S. Choi, "Influence of Professional Self-concept and Self-leadership on Clinical Competence in Nursing Students", Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 373-382, 2016. DOI : http://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2016.23.4.373 https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2016.23.4.373
- H. J. Kim, G. J. Gun, S. H. Lee, "Factors Influencing Problem Solving Abilities of Nursing Students", The Society of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 295-307, 2017.
- D. H. Kim, J. Y. Park , N. Y. Lee. "Factors Influencing Problem Solving Ability among Nursing Students", Journal of The Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 1551-1563, 2012.