- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Cause Marketing Type (Public-volunteered vs. Corporate-driven) and Brand Authenticity on Purchase Intention: Focusing on the Moderation and Moderated Mediation of Brand Awareness
자발 참여형 vs. 기업 주도형 공익 마케팅이 구매의도에 미치는 영향 : 브랜드 인지도와 브랜드 진정성을 중심으로
- Lee, Sinae (Dept. of Business Administration, Dankook University) ;
- Min, Dongwon (Dept. of Business Administration, Dankook University)
- Received : 2017.10.25
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
Recently, cause marketing is more focused as one of key brand positioning strategies, which in turn leads that more companies are interested in cause marketing. In this study, we focused on two different types of cause marketing, named as public-volunteered cause marketing and corporate-driven cause marketing. A field study using an actual brand explored the effect of cause marketing type and brand authenticity on purchase intention toward the target brand. Moreover, we examined the moderation and moderated mediation of brand awareness. As our results showed, the corporate-driven cause marketing had a positive impact both on brand authenticity and purchase intention in the low (vs. high) brand awareness condition. However, the effect of public-volunteered marketing on purchase intention and brand authenticity did not vary depending on brand awareness. To increase the effectiveness of the cause marketing, the results suggest that the public-volunteered cause marketing would be more effective than the corporate-driven cause marketing.
Cause Marketing;Public-volunteered;Corporate-driven;Brand Authenticity;Brand Awareness;Purchase Intention
- Webb, Deborah J., and Lois A. Mohr, "A Typology of Consumer Responses to Cause Related Marketing," Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 226-238, 1998.
- Cone, L. L. C., Cone Cause Evolution Study, Omnicom Group, 2010.
- Dongwon Min, "Understanding Public-volunteered Cause Marketing: Focused on Samsung Guide Dog School's Program and Volunteers' Activities," Korea Business Review, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 1-25, 2014.
- Woo, Jung-Hwa, "The Effect of Expression for Social Distance and Fun on the Attitude toward CSR and the Intention for Pe-participation in Consumer Paricipating type CSR Communication," The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 51-88, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14377/KJA.2017.2.28.3
- Eun-A Park, Yeon-Ju Heo, and Hong-Goo Yoo, "The Influences of the Brand-Cause Relevance and Participation Type on Cause-related Advertisement Effects," Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 286-325, 2005.
- Becker-Olsen, Karen L., B. Andrew Cudmore, and Ronald Paul Hill, "The Impact of Perceived Corporate Social Responsibility on Consumer Behavior," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 46-53, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2005.01.001
- Lee, Cheol-Han and Kwon, Sun-Hee, "The Effects of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Types and Level Involvement on Publics' Evaluations," Institute of the Social Sciences, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 247-270, 2011.
- Bloom, Paul N., Steve Hoeffler, KevinL. Keller, and Carlos E. B. Meza, "How Social-Cause Marketing Affects Consumer Perceptions," MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 49-55, 2006.
- Kramer, Mark R., and Michael Porter, "Creating Shared Value," Harvard Business Review, pp. 62-77, 2011.
- Czepiel, John A., "Service Encounters and Service Relationships: Implications for Research," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 13-21, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(90)90038-F
- Mills, Peter K., and James H. Morris, "Clients as Partial Employees of Service Organizations: Role Development in Client Participation," Academy of Management Review, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 726-735, 1986.
- Kak Yoon and Eun Ju Lee, "A Comparitive Study on the effects of CSR and CSV: The Moderating Role of Self-efficacy and Message Involvement," The Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 53-72, 2014.
- Gilmore, James H. and B. Joseph Pine, Experience Economy-Work is Theatre & Every Business a Stage, Harvard Business School Press, 1999.
- Gilmore, James H. and B. Joseph Pine, Authenticity: What Consumers Really Want, Harvard Business School Press, 2007.
- Sinae Lee and Dongwon Min, The Effect of Brand Authenticity on WOM and Purchase Intention: Mediating Role of Effort Saving and Brand Trust," Korean Management Review, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 1279-1307, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17287/kmr.2016.45.4.1279
- Morhart, Felicitas, Lucia Malar, Guevremont Amelie, Florent Girardin, and Bianca Grohmann, "Brand Authenticity: An Integrative Framework and Measurement Scale," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 200-218, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcps.2014.11.006
- Aaker, David A., "Measuring Brand Equity Across Products and Markets," California Management Review, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 102-120, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165845
- Halpern, Paul., "Implicit Claims: The Role of Corporate Reputation in Value Creation," Corporate Reputation Review, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 42-49, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.crr.1540131
- Choy, MinKyung, Kim Moon Seop, and Kim, Jae Il, "The Effect of Purchase Incentive Type and Company Awareness on Consumer Response: Focusing on the Warmth-Competence Perception," Korea Marketing Review, Vol. 28, No. 1, pp. 21-44, 2012.
- Yoo, Ji-Soo and Jo, Samsup, "The Effects of News Types of Corporate Philanthropy on Corporate Image," Korea Advertising Society, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 43-78, 2008.
- Yoo, Boonghee, and Naveen Donthu, "Developing and Validating a Multidimensional Consumer-Based Brand Equity Scale," Journal of Business Research, Vol. 52, No. 1, pp. 1-14, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00098-3
- Lee, Angela Y. and Dongwon Min, "Embodiment and Perspective Taking," In A. Labroo, and A. Y. Lee (Eds.), Proceedings of Annual Conference of the Association for Consumer Research (Jacksonville, Fl.), 2010.
- Hayes, Andrew F., Introduction to Mediation, Moderation, and Conditional Process Analysis: A Ron-Based Approach, The Guilford Press, 2013.
- Mun-Shick Suh and Jin-Woo Ahn, "The Influence of Customer Participation on the Intention with Service-Provider and Emotional Elements," Korean Management Review, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 897-934, 2009.