- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Individual and Technical Characteristics on Perceived Risk and User Resistance of Mobile Payment Services
개인 및 기술 특성이 모바일 결제 서비스의 지각된 위험과 수용저항에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Kim, Sanghyun (School of Business Administration, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Park, Hyun-Sun (BK21+, School of Business Administration, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2017.10.27
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
This study investigates to investigate the factors that influence user resistance of mobile payment services. We suggested individual and technical characteristics of mobile payment services as factors influencing perceived risk and user resistance. In addition, we suggested negative security recognition as moderating variable. To test the proposed hypotheses, we collected 349 survey responses from the users of mobile payment services and conducted structural equation modeling with SmartPLS2.0. The results show that, first, negative social influence, risk aversion and distrust in existing services had an effect on the perceived risk. Second, the pace of change and vulnerability had an effect on the perceived risk. Third, perceived risk affected the user resistance while negative security recognition is related to the relationship between perceived risk and user resistance.
Mobile Payment Services;Individual Characteristic;Technical Characteristic;Perceived Risk;User's Resistance;Negative Security Recognition
- E. Y. Cho and H. W. Kim, "A Study on the Promotion of Mobile Easy Payment Services in the Fintech Era," Information Policy, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 22-44, 2015.
- Korea Consumer Agency, "Research of Mobile Easy Payment Services," 2016.
- T. Dahlberg, J. Guo and J. Ondrus, "A Critical Review of Mobile Payment Research," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 265-284, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2015.07.006
- T, Dahlberg, N. Mallat, J. Ondrus and A. Zmijewska, "Part, Present and Future of Mobile Payment Research: A Literature Review," Electronic Commerce Research and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 165-181, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2007.02.001
- H. Y. Oh, "A Study of Factors Affecting the Adoption Intention of Mobile Easy Payment Service," Journal of Financial Services Consumers, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 33-64, 2015.
- J. C. Gu, S. C. Lee and Y. H. suh, "Determinants of Behavioral Intention to Mobile Banking," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol 36, No. 9, pp. 11605-11616, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2009.03.024
- C. S. Kim, M. Mirusmonov and I, Lee., "An Empirical Examination of Factors Influencing the Intention to Use Mobile Payment," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 310-322, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.10.013
- H. F. Lin, "An Empirical Investigation of Mobile Banking Adoption: The Effect of Innovation Attributes and Knowledge-based Trust," International Journa of Information Management, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 252-260, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2010.07.006
- Q, Yang, C. Pang, L, Liu, D. C. Yen and J. M. Tarn, "Exploring Consumer Perceived Risk and Trust for Online Payments: An Empirical Study in China's Younger Generation," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 50, pp. 9-24. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.03.058
- Y. Lu, S. Yang, P. Y. K. Chau and Y. Cao, "Dynamics between the Trust Transfer Process and Intention to Use Mobile Payment Services: A Cross-Environment Perspective," Information & Management, Vol. 48, No. 8, pp. 393-403, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2011.09.006
- T. Oliveira, M. Thomas, G. Baptista and F. Campos, "Mobile Payment: Understanding the Determinants of Customer Adoption and Intention to Recommend the Technology," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 61, pp. 404-414, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.03.030
- M. Ali, L. Zhou, L. Miller and P, Ieromonachou, "User Resistance in IT: A Literature Review," International Journal of Information Management, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 35-43, 2015.
- D. Goodhue and R. Thompson, "Task-Technology Fit and Individual Performance," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 213-236, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/249689
- R. P. Bagozzi and K. H. Lee, "Consumer Resistance to, and Acceptance of, Innovations," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 26, pp. 218-255, 1999.
- S. Ram, "A Model of Innovation Resistance," Advances in Consumer Research, Vol. 14, pp. 208-212, 1987.
- H. W. Kim and A. Kankanhalli, "Investigating User Resistance to Information SystemImplementation: Status Quo Bias Perspective," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 567-582, 2009. https://doi.org/10.2307/20650309
- L. Lapointe and S. Rivard "A Multilevel Model of Resistance to Information Technology Implementation," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 3, pp. 461-491, 2005. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148692
- L. Coetsee, "From Resistance to Commitment," Public Administration Quarterly, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 204-222, 1999.
- K. J. Park, "Effects of Pace of Technology Change on Perceived Risk and Resistance in Adoption of Innovative Products: Focusing on Smart Watch," Korean Business Review, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 983-1002, 2016.
- R. A. Bauer, "Consumer Behavior as Risk Taking, In R. S. Hancock(ed.), Dynamic Marketing in a Changing World, Chicago: American Marketing Association," 1960.
- M. S. Featherman and P. A. Pavlou, "Predicting E-Services Adoption: A Perceived Risk Facets Perspective," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Vol. 59, No. 4, pp. 451-474, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1071-5819(03)00111-3
- X. H. Luo, J. Z. Li and J. P. Shim, "Examining Multi-Dimensional Trust and Multi-Faceted Risk in Initial Acceptance of Emerging Technologies: An Empirical Study of Mobile Banking Services," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 222-234, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2010.02.008
- J. P. Peter and M. J. Ryan, "An Investigation of Perceived Risk at the Brand Level," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.184-188, 1976. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150856
- J. P. Peter and L. X. Tarpey, "A Comparative Analysis of Three Consumer Decision Strategies," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp.29-38, 1975.
- D. J. Kim, D. L. Ferrin and H. R., Rao, "A Trust-based Consumer Decision-Making Model in Electronic Commerce: The Role of Trust, Perceived Risk, and Their Antecedents," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 544-564, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dss.2007.07.001
- J. K, Kim, J. S. Kim and J. Mou., "A Study of User Resistance to Mobile Banking Service-Focusing on Online Security," The Journal of Business and Economics, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 59-99, 2012.
- G. Hofstede and M. H. Bond "Hofstede's Culture Dimensions: An Independent Validation Using Rokeach's Value Survey," Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, Vol. 15, pp. 417-433, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022002184015004003
- C. X. Ou and C. L. Sia, "Consumer Trust and Distrust: An Issue of Website Design," International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Vol. 68, No. 12:, pp. 913-934, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2010.08.003
- Y. S. Chang and S. R. Fang, "Antecedents and Distinctions Between Online Trust and distrust Predicting High-And Low-Risk Internet Behaviors," Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 149-166, 2013.
- R. Ayyagari, V. Grover and R. Purvis, "Technostress Technological Antecedents and Implications," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 831-858, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2307/41409963
- K. Park and J. Koh, "Exploring the Relationship between Perceived Pace of Technology Change and Adoption Resistance to Convergence Products," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 69, pp.142-150, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.12.017
- I. J. Jo, S. K. Kim and S. B. Yang, "A Study on Influencing Factors on User's Adoption Resistance to Personal Cloud Computing Services," Knowledge Management Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 117-142, 2015.
- R. Thakur and M. Srivastava, "Adoption Readiness, Personal Innovativeness, Perceived Risk and Usage Intention across Customer Groups for Mobile Payment Services in India," Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 369-392, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1108/IntR-12-2012-0244
- C. H. Min and W. S. Ko, "The Empirical Research on Mobile Payment Commonplace Characteristics from the Recognition of Mobile Security Services," Journal of Internet Business Research, Vol. 6, No. 7, pp. 43-53, 2005.
- R. Ha and H. S. Lee, "Perceived Risk and User Resistance of Mobile Wallet Services," Entrue Journal of Information Technology, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 115-219, 2015.
- E. G. Carmines and R. A. Zeller, "Reliability and validity assessment, Los Angels, CA: Sege Publications" 1979.
- C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, "Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error: Algebra and Statistics," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 382-388, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150980
- W. W. Chin, "The Partial Least Squares Approach to Structural Equation Modeling," Modern Methods for Business Research, Vol. 295, No. 2, pp. 295-336, 1998.
- T. A. Carter and C. J. Russell, "In Pursuit of Moderation: Nine Common Errors and Their Solutions," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 479-501, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30036541
- C. K. Kim, J. G. Kim and S. J. Choi, "A Study on the Acceptance Decision Factors for Mobile Easy Payment Services in Digital Convergence Media Ara: Focusing Samsung Pay," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 213-221, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.213
- H. M. Moon, K. R. Lee and S. J. Lee, "The Effect of the Social Risk on the Resistance of Purchase in Mobile Shopping," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp.93-106, 2014.
- C. Shuang, S. J. Lee and K. R. Lee, "A Study on Chinese User Resistance of Mobile Banking," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 105-114, 2014.