- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Determinants of Capital Structure of High Potential Enterprises of Korea
중견기업의 자본구조 결정요인
- Guahk, Seyoung (Dept. of Business Administration College of Economics and Business Administration Cheongju University)
- 곽세영 (청주대학교 경상대학 경영학과)
- Received : 2017.10.23
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
Although numerous theoretical and empirical studies on the capital structure have been performed, the studies on the capital structure of the high potential enterprises have not been worked. This paper performed empirical analyses for the first time to find out the determinants of capital structure of the high potential enterprises of Korea using the financial data of the manufacturing high potential enterprises listed on the Korea Exchange and KOSDAQ during 2010~2016. The results of regression analyses with debt ratio as dependent variable and profitability, firm size, asset tangibility and non-debt tax shield as independent variables show that the coefficients were relatively significant. The variables of the profitability and the tangibility were found to have positive relationship with the debt ratio. The non-debt tax shield were found to have in general positive relation with the leverage.
Supported by : 청주대학교
- Seyoung Guahk, "Determinants of Financing Decision of High Potential Enterprises of Korea," Economics and Business Review, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp.75-84, 2015.
- F. Modigliani, M. Miller, "The Cost of Capital, Corporate Finance and the Theory of Investment," American Economic Review, Vol. 48, No. 3, pp. 261-297, 1958.
- M. Miller, F. Modigliani, "Corporate Income Taxes and the Cost of Capital: A Correction," American Economic Review, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 433-443, 1963.
- N. Baxter, "Leverage, Risk of Ruin and the Cost of Capital," Journal of Finance, Vol. 22, Issue 3, pp. 395-403, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1967.tb02975.x
- E. Kim, "A Mean-Variance Theory of Optimal Capital Structure and Corporate Debt Capacity," Journal of Finance, Vol. 33, pp. 45-64, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6261.1978.tb03388.x
- M. Jensen, W. Meckling, "Theory of Firm: Managerial Behavior, Agency Costs and Ownership Structure," Journal of Financial Economics Vol. 3, pp. 305-360, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(76)90026-X
- E. F. Fama, M. C. Jensen, "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 327-349, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1086/467038
- S. A. Ross, "The Determination of Financial Structure: The Incentive Signalling Approach," Bell Journal of Economics, Spring, pp. 23-40, 1977.
- S. C. Myers, N. S. Majluf, "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms have Information That Investors Do Not Have," Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 13, Issue 2, pp. 187-221, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(84)90023-0
- Guihai Huang, Frank M. Song, "The Determinants of Capital Structure: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Vol. 17, pp. 14-36, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chieco.2005.02.007
- D. R. Shin, "A Study on the Financial Structure Determinants of Korean Manufacturing Firms," Korean Management Review, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 131-151, 1991.
- J. W. Lee, Y. S. Lee, B. Y. Lee, "The Determination of Corporate Debt in Korea," Asian Economic Journal, Vol. 4, No. 4, pp. 333-356, 2000.
- M. S. Shin, H. S. Moon, "Adjustment Speed and Determinants of Capital Structure of Small and Medium Firms," Asia Pacific Journal of Small Business, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 117-140, 2008.
- S. T. Son, Y. K. Lee, "Determinants of Capital Structure in KOSDAQ Firms," Korean Journal of Financial Management, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 109-147, 2007.
- S. K. Oh, W. S. Kim, "Growth Opportunity and Capital Structure of Korean Listed Manufacturing Firms," Korean Journal of Finance, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 123-160, 2012.
- Yang Zhen Tao, Hee-Jung Park, Ho-Jung Kang, "Determinants on the Capital Structure of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises in China," The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 191-196, 2013.