- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Determinants of SNS Use Time Depending on SNS Motive in Youth Workers
청년층 직장인의 SNS 이용동기에 따른 사용시간의 결정요인에 대한 연구
- Ok, Chiho (Department of Business Administration, Jeonju University) ;
- Park, Yong Wan (Barun ICT Research Center, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.08.17
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of this study is to investigate the determinants of the SNS usage time depending on SNS motive of the youth workers. Although previous studies revealed that there are many motivations for SNS usage, it is not known which factors determine usage time of each SNS motive. In this study, we constructed the unbalanced panel data of the Korean Education & Employment Panel data. Among three different SNS motives such as information exchange, social networking, and fun pursuit, gender, physical health, extraversion, and conscientiousness affected the usage of SNS when the motivation was information exchange. When it was personal connection, the size of organization, education, physical health, subjective happiness, job satisfaction, neuroticism, and agreeableness did. When it was fun & interest, foreign company, status of children, subjective happiness, and job satisfaction did. Based on the findings, we discussed theoretical and practical implications.
- S. Y. Lee, "A study of college students' intention to avoid Facebook usage: Focusing on theory of reasoned action, upward social comparison, passive following", Journal of Cybercommunication Academic Society, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp.5-42, 2015.
- E. Lee, H. Cho and Y. Lee, "SNS using behavior of adolescents and its consumer problem: Focused on middle school and high school students using SNS", Consumer Policy and Education Review, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp.129-153, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15790/cope.2016.12.4.129
- H. K. Lee and E. Y. Koh, "A comparative study on characteristics of those in their twenties and elderly citizens in using instant messenger emoticons: Centering on Kakao Talk Emoticons", A Journal of Brand Design Association of Korea, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.145-156, 2015. https://doi.org/10.18852/bdak.2015.13.2.145
- I. Cho and S. Jang, "An ontology of SNS and technical practice", Communication Theories, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp.99-153, 2012.
- W. Kim and M. Choi, "The effect of SNS users' use motivations on using SNS and recognizing characteristics of SNS messages: Focused on the comparison among Facebook, Twitter, Cyworld and Me2day", Korean Journal of Communication & Information, Vol. 60, pp.150-171, 2012.
- S, Choi., S, Park and M, Yim. "An empirical study of effect of social network service on individual learning performance", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 6, pp.33-39, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2012.10.6.033
- Y. Cho, "The effect of self-disclosure on the intention to use of SNS in the digital convergence environment", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp.139-150, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.5.139
- J. H. Choi, "Self esteem and SNS activity characteristics in twenties", KISDI Stat Report, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp.1-12, 2017.
- J. Kim and J. Kim, "The effect of relationship building through SNS on an individual's intention to share information", Informatization Policy, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp.57-84, 2012.
- H. Kim, "A study on use motivation of SNS and communication behavior", Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.548-553, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.2.548
- G. H. Min and J. K. Lee, "The influence of negative perception of SNS on subjective well-being: The moderated mediating effect of SNS avoid by upward comparison experience", Advertising Research, No. 112, pp.5-37, 2017.
- D. K. Ahn, "An influence of characteristics of social commerce and SNS use on consumer's purchase intention", Journal of Korean Society of Communication Design, Vol. 19, pp.219-232, 2012.
- E. Yu and J. Choi, "Antecedents and consequences influencing the discrepancy between actual-self and self on SNS", Journal of Consumption Culture, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp.25-44, 2015.
- M. Kim, "A study on SNS usage behavior using correspondence analysis", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp.395-403, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.395
- B. Jun, "A study on the effect of affecting factors of SNS on learner's attitude and performance:Focused on university class", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp.27-36, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.27
- S. Park, "The limitation on the criminal act on minor copyright infringements and the types of copyright infringement on SNS", Journal of Criminal Law, Vol. 26, pp.149-177, 2014. https://doi.org/10.21795/kcla.2014.26.3.149
- H. S. Yoon, "Infringement of personal information on SNS and protection of victims", Korean Journal of Victimology, Vol. 22, pp.117-149, 2014.
- D. M. Boyd and N. B. Ellison, "Social network sites: Definition, history and scholarship", Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.201-230, 2008.
- J. Preece, D. Maloney-Krichmar and C. Abras, "History of Emergence of Online Communities, in Encyclopedia of Community", edited by B. Wellman(ed.), Sage, NY: Berkshire Publishing Group, 2003.
- S. S. Kim, Tony D. Ahn, "The moderating effect of characteristics of message and SNS on the relationship between the direction of WOM and consumer attitude." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 177-186, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.177
- Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media
- H. H. Shin and K. R. Kim, "The differences in motivation and usage according to morphological evolution of SNS - Focusing on university students' use of Facebook and Instagram," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 155-164,2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.155
- K. J. Park, S. J. Park, and H. Y. Jang, "Study on the use of SNS(social network service) for tasks: focus on the task-media fit," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp. 577-586, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.2.577
- S. Yun, "Study on the effect of Twitter user's use motive on the emotional connectedness, awareness of Co-space, reliability of information and emotional intimacy", Journal of Political Communication, Vol.22, pp.131-170, 2011.
- E. Katz, J. Blumler and M. Gurevitch, "Uses and gratifications research", Public Opinion Quarterly, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp.509-523, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1086/268109
- J. V. Brocke, D. Richter and K. Riemer, "Motives for using Social Network Sites (SNSs): An analysis of SNS adoption among students", BLED 2009 Proceedings, Vol. 40, pp.33-49, 2009.
- H. Shim and K. Lim, "Research on the effect of different motivations on the participation in SNSs",Journal of Digital Contents Society, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp.383-390, 2011. https://doi.org/10.9728/dcs.2011.12.3.383
- J. K. Lee and Y. Choi, "Why people use social media?: A comparison of open and closed SNSs," Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 115-148, 2015.
- W. G. Kim and M. J. Choi, "The Effect of SNS Users' Use Motivations on Using SNS and Recognizing Characteristics of SNS Messages: Focused on the Comparison among 'Facebook','Twitter', 'Cyworld', and 'Me2day'" Korean Journal of Communication and Information, Vol. 60, pp.150-171, 2012.
- K. H. Kim and H. Yun, "Cying for me, Cying for us: Relational dialectics in a Korean social network site," Journal of Computer−Mediated Communication, Vo. 13, No. 1, pp. 298-318, 2007.
- T. Jung, H. Youn, and S. McClung, "Motivations and self-presentation strategies on Korean based "Cyworld" weblog format personal homepages," CyberPsychology & Behavior, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp.24-31, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2006.9996
- Y. Choi and S. H. Park, "The effect of social media usage on social capital," Korean Journal of Broadcasting, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 241-276, 2011.
- P. R. Johnson and S. U. Yang, "Uses and gratifications of Twitter: An examination of user motives and satisfaction of Twitter use," Paper to be presented at the Communication Technology Division of the annual convention of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communicationin Boston, Massachusetts, August 2009.
- K. H. Yu and J. W. Kang, "Usage gratification, dependence and problematic use of mobile type SNS(social network service): Centering on Twitter," Journal of Cybercommuincation, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 89-127, 2011.
- H. S. Jung, "The evolution of Korean social network service focusing on the case of Kakao Talk," Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 10, No. 10, pp. 147-154, 2012.
- S. Sun, J. Chen, M. Johannesson, P. Kind and K. Burstrom, "Subjective well-being and its association with subjective health status, age, sex, region, and socio-economic characteristics in a Chinese population study", Journal of Happiness Studies, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp.833-873, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10902-014-9611-7
- R. J. Larsen, E. Diener and R. A. Emoons, "An evaluation of subjective well-being measured", Social Indicators Research, Vol. 17, pp.1-17, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00354108
- P. E. Spector, "Measurement of human service staff satisfaction: Development of the job satisfaction survey," American Journal of Community Psychology, Vol. 13, pp.693-713, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00929796
- M. R. Barrick and M. K. Mount, "The big five personality dimensions and job performance: A meta analysis," Personnel Psychology, Vol. 44, No.1, pp.1-26, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1991.tb00688.x
- M. Laroche, G. Saad, M. Cleveland and E. Browne, "Gender differences in information search strategies for a Christmas gift," Journal of Consumer Marketing, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp.500-522, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1108/07363760010349920
- Y. A. Park, "An exploratory study about the motivation of closed-type social network service: Focusing on user of Naver Band. Journal of Business Research", Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 157-185,2014.
- Y. J. Kim, "Uses and gratification of Cyworld, Facebook, Twitter: A comparative study," Journal of Communication Science, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp.5-32, 2013.
- J. H. Arnold and D. C. Feldman, "Social desirability response bias in self-report choice situations," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 24, No. 2,pp.377-385, 1981. https://doi.org/10.2307/255848
- Y. H. Kim, "SNS (social network service) usage trend and usage behavior analysis," KISDI Stat Report, Vol. 16, No. 7, pp.1-12, 2016.