- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Protective Factors and Risk Factors Affecting School Adjustment of Immigrant Youths: Moderating Effect of Protective Factors
중도입국 청소년의 학교적응에 영향을 미치는 보호요인과 위험요인 분석: 보호요인의 조절효과
- Received : 2017.10.18
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
The purpose of this study was to investigate whether there is a moderating effect of protective factors on risk factors in affecting school adjustment of immigrant youths. For this purpose, this study analyzed 69,720 youths who weighed 6,079 children of youths ages 9-24 among the 2015 National Survey of Multicultural Families. From the results of the analysis, first, the discrimination experience, school violence and depression, which are risk factors of immigrant youths, all had negative effects on school adjustment. Parental relations, self-esteem, Korean language ability, and nationality acquisition, which are protective factors, all had a positive effect on school adjustment. Second, among the three risk factors in the school adjustment of immigrant youths, self-esteem and nationality acquisition variables were analyzed as the protective factors moderating depression, and the protective factors controlling school violence were analyzed as parental relationship, self-esteem, Korean ability and nationality acquisition variables. Based on the results of the analysis, decrease in immigrant youths' depression, coping with academic violence, and development and support of various competency development programs were suggested as major social welfare practices.
Immigrant youths;School adjustment;Protective factor;Risk factor;Moderating effect
- K. M. Yang, H. Y, Jo, "The Exploratory Study of Psycho-Social Adjustment of Immigrant Youth in Korea," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 19, No. 11, pp. 195-214, 2012.
- S. G. Kim, "The Psycho-social Adaptation among Children of Multi-cultural Families," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp. 247-272, 2011.
- K. S. Jeon, E. J. Lee, "A Study on the adaptation support plan for children entering the middle school in multicultural families." Gyeonggido Family and Women Research Institute.
- Y. S. Kim, (2016. April 1). Into the world. The Kyunghyang Shinmun, Retrieved from http://news.khan.co.kr
- B.C. Lee, D. Y. Song, "A Qualitative Study on the School Adaptation of Multicultural Family Youth from Accompanied Entry," Korean journal of social welfare, Vol. 63, No. 4, pp. 131-154, 2011. https://doi.org/10.20970/kasw.2011.63.4.006
- K. M. Yang, H. Y, Jo, "A Exploring Study on the Educational Situation and Career Expectation of Youth Migrants in Korea," Journal of Youth Welfare, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 141-168, 2012.
- B. R. Ryu, Education and support plan of children of multicultural families, Korea Educational Development Institute, 2011.
- Y. J. Park, "Study of Issues and Alternatives for Multicultural education in Korea," Multicultural Contents Research, Vol 21, pp. 297-322, 2016.
- C. K. Yoon, I. J. Choi, S. R. Yoo, K. H. Kim, Study on discontinued youth panel and support plan Study III, Korea Youth Policy Institute, 2015.
- E. S. Kim, H. S. Jung, J. Y. Dong, Policy Tasks for Healthy Growth of Multicultural Family Children, Ministry of Gender Equality Family, 2015.
- T. S. Song, "A Study on Variables the Related to Children's Adjustment in Early Childhood Institution," Journal of Future Early Childhood Education, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 167-189, 2004.
- H. K. Kim, "A Study on School Adjustment of Middle School Students in Multicultural Families," Doctoral thesis, Kyonggi University, 2011.
- M. W. Fraser, Risk and resilience in childhood: An ecological perspective. Washington, D.C; NASW Press, 1997.
- P. Voydanoff, B. W. Donnelly, Risk and protective factors for psychological adjustment and grades among adolescent, Journal of Family Issues, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 328-349. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1177/019251399020003002
- Y. J. Lee, "A Study on the Risk Factors Influencing Psychosocial Adjustment of a Multicultural Family Adolescent," Korean Journal of Family Welfare, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 103-119, 2009.
- B. Y. Khu, "The Mediation Effects of relationship with parent, teacher, and peer between Self-efficacy and Adjustment to School," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 347-373, 2012.
- Y. S. Lee, H. S. Kim, "Experiences of Discrimination and School Maladjustment among Immigrant Children and Youth: Focusing on Moderating Effects of Social Support from Teachers," Journal of School Social Work, Vol. 29, pp. 263-283, 2014.
- G. S. Lee, "Cultural diversity and family life education," Journal of Women's Studies, Vol. 19, pp. 211-242, 2008.
- D. H. Jwa, "A Research on the Psycho-social Adaptation Characteristics of Immigrant Youths based on Nationality and Acculturation Types," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp. 97-126, 2014.
- S. H. Oh, H. S. Jwa, "The factors affecting on depression of multi-cultural families adolescents and immigrant adolescents," Journal of School Social Work, Vol. 32, pp. 385-412, 2015.
- C. A. Wong, J. S. Eccles, A. Sameroff, "The influence of ethnic discrimination and ethnic identification on African American adolescents' school and socioemotional adjustment," Journal of personality, Vol. 71, No. 6, pp. 1197-1232, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-6494.7106012
- R. Seifer, A. J. Sameroff, C. P. Baldwin, A. Baldwin, "Child and family factors that ameliorate risk between 4 and 13 years of age," Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Vol. 31, No. 5, pp. 893-903, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-199209000-00018
- S. J. An, H. C. Lee, J. Y. Lim, "The Influences of Conflict with Parents, Peer Relationship, and School Adaptation of Adolescents from Multicultural Families and their Satisfaction with Life : The Mediating Effects of Self-Esteem," Journal of Korean Management Association, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 77-91, 2013. https://doi.org/10.7466/JKHMA.2013.31.2.077
- E. Flores, D. Cicchetti, F. A. Rogosch, "Predictors of resilience in maltreated and nonmaltreated Latino children. Developmental psychology," Vol. 41, No. 2, pp. 338-351, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1688
- J. B. Kim, S. H. Park, "A Study on School Maladjustment of Adolescents in Multicultural Families: Focusing on the longitudinal mediation effect of ego resilience," Multicultural Youth Panel Conference Resources, pp. 3-26, 2017.
- K. A. Tyler, L. B. Whitbeck, D. R. Hoyt, A. M. Cauce, "Risk factors for sexul victimization among male and female homeless and runaway youth," Journal of Interpersonal Violence, Vol, 30, No. 3, pp. 503-520, 2001.
- S. C. Han, "Analysis to Influence of Risk Factors and Protective Factors on Adolescent's Sex Risk Behavior," Journal of Future Oriented Youth Society, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 185-210, 2009.
- Ministry of Gender Equality Family, National multicultural family survey, 2012.
- K. S. Jun, M. K. Song, "A Research on the Differences of Adjustment Level by Multicultural Children's Nationality," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 18, No. 11, pp. 305-330, 2011.
- D. H. Lee, "The Mediated Effects of Self Esteem, Social Support, and Stress Coping on the Relationship between Stress and School Adjustment of Multi Cultural Youth," Journal of the Korean Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 544-552, 2016.
- C. R. Nho, J. J. Hong, "Adaptation of migrant workers' children to Korean society: Adaptation of Mongolian migrant worker's children in Seoul, Gyeonggi Area," Journal of the Korean society of child welfare, Vol. 22, pp. 127-159, 2006.
- S. W. Park, H. J. Woo, "How Multicultural Youths Become Koreans: A Grounded Theory on the Adaptation of Immigrant Students," Theory and Society, 2013 Fall/Winter, pp. 211-304, 2013.
- K. S. Jun, "A Study on the Career Preparation of Immigrant Youths in a Multicultural Background and Plans of their Settlement in Korean Society," GRI REVIEW, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 441-473, 2017.
- S. B. Oh, D. H. Seo, "An investigation into the condition of Immigrant youth's career consciousness, career preparation behavior and social support," Secondary Education Studies, Vol. 60, No. 2, pp. 517-552, 2012. https://doi.org/10.25152/ser.2012.60.2.517
- J. H. Yi, K. H. Kim, M. Y. Ra, "Lived Experiences and Visual Expressions from Immigrant Adolescents in Korea during their Early Adjustment," Journal of the Korean society of child welfare, Vol. 45, pp. 103-130, 2014. https://doi.org/10.16999/kasws.2014.45.1.103
- S. J. Kim, C. H. Hong, "The Effect of Discrimination experience and Language problems on Psychosocial adjustment in Children with Multi-cultural family : The Moderating Effect of Ego-resilience and Family strengths," Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 195-211, 2017. https://doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2017.01.24.1.195
- C. S. Lee, H. Y. Jang, "A Study on Variables influencing Adolescents' Depression: Based on Gender Comparison," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 15, No. 9, pp. 47-54, 2017.
- S. H. Park, J. H. Yu, "The Effects of Multicultural Experience on Empathy in Adolescents: Focused on Mediating Effect of Multicultural Acceptance and Cultural Empathy," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 15, No. 4, pp. 499-510, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.499
- S. J. Park, Y. J. Bae, S. H. Park, S. A. Kim, "A Study on Multicultural Competence of University Students in the Fields of Human Services for the Era of Fusion and Convergence," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 13, No. 11, pp. 493-507, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.493