- Volume 15 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Moderating Effect of Learning styles on the relationship of quality and satisfaction of e-Learning context
이러닝의 품질특성과 만족도에 관한 학습유형의 조절효과
- Ahn, Tony Donghui (Dept. of Business Administration, Korea Polytechnic University)
- 안동희 (한국산업기술대학교 경영학부)
- Received : 2017.10.12
- Accepted : 2017.12.20
- Published : 2017.12.28
This study aims to explore the effect of quality factors and learning styles on users' satisfaction in e-Learning context. For this purpose, statistical methods such as reliability test, factor analysis, ANOVA, regression analysis were carried out using the survey data from university students. The quality factors of e-Learning were classified into contents, system, service, and interpersonal activities while learning styles were classified into positive-cooperative, self-directed, environmental-dependent, and passive styles. The results showed that each quality factors of e-Learning has a strong positive effect on user satisfaction, and self-directed group has higher satisfaction than other groups. Learning styles have moderating effects on the quality-satisfaction relationship, and especially, the group of passive learning style has a strong moderating effect on the interpersonal activities. Theoretical and practical implications and future research directions are drawn from these findings.
e-Learning;Quality factors;Learning styles;System satisfaction;Moderating effect
- Korea Elearning Promotion Committee "The 3rd basic plan for the development of eLearning industry and promoting the use of eLearning (2017-2019), 2017.
- Marc. J. Rosenberg, e-Learning: Strategies for delivering Knowledge in the Digital Age, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- Lin, H. F. Measuring Onine Learning Systems Success: Applying the Updated DeLone and McLean Model, Cyber Psychology & Behavior, Vol. 10. No. 6, pp. 817-820, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2007.9948
- Alireza Hassanzadeh, Fatemeh Kanaani, Shaban Elahi, "A model for measuring e-learning systems success in universities", Expert Systems with Applications Vol. 39, pp. 10959-10966, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2012.03.028
- Jong-Yeon, Lee, Suwook Kim, Juri Kim, "Analysis of Quality Factors Influencing Learner Satisfaction on Mobile Learning Linked to e-Learning in Universities", Journal of educational technology, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp.209-240, 2013. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.29.2.209
- Ahmed Younis Alsabawy, Aileen Cater-Steel, Jeffrey Soar, "Determinants of perceived usefulness of e-learning systems", Computers in Human Behavior Vol. 64, pp. 843-858, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.07.065
- Hanho Jeong, An investigation of continuance intention of e-learning use designed for learning assistant tool in university: Based on ECM, TAM, TPB, and FT, Journal of educational technology, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp.307-334, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.30.2.307
- Tae In Han, "A Study on the Technical Evaluation of the Quality Certification for e-Learning Contents", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 49-66, 2015.
- Selim. H. H., "Critical success factors for e-Learning Acceptance: Confirmatory Factor Models," Computers & Education, Vol 49, pp.396-413, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2005.09.004
- Pei-Chen Sun, Ray J. Tsai, Glenn Finger, Yueh-Yang Chen, Dowming Yeh, "What drives a successful e-Learning? An empirical investigation of the critical factors influencing learner satisfaction", Computers & Education, Vol. 50, pp.1183-1202, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2006.11.007
- JaMee Kim, Yong Kim, Seongjin Kim, "Development of Quality Assurance Criteria for Mobile Device Based e-learning Contents", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.475-482, 2014.
- ChoongJin Song, "A Study on the Teaching and Learning Activities, Student-teacher Communication, and Course Satisfaction" Asian Journal of Education, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.171-200, 2014.
- Chang Gab Seo, Seok Young Lee, "An Empirical Study on the Factors Affecting e-Learning Learners Satisfaction", Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp.1-25, 2009.
- D. A. Kolb, "Experiential learning", Englewood Cliffs, Nj: prentice Hall, 1984.
- Gregorc, A. F, Gregorc style delineator, Maynard, MA: Gabriel Systems, 1982.
- Felder, R., Silverman, L. "Learning and teaching styles in Engineering Education", Engineering Education, Vol. 78, No. 7, pp.674-681, 1988.
- Vimala Balakrishnan,., Gan Chin Lay, "Students' learning styles and their effects on the use of social media technology for learning", Telematics and Informatics, Vol. 33, pp.808-821, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2015.12.004
- Kwangsik Ahn, The Development of the Measuring Tool of Learning Styles in an e-learning, Doctoral dissertation, Chungnam University, 2005.
- Choi, W. S., Ahn, K. S., & Rho, T. C. "The Development of the Measuring Tool of Learning Behavioral Styles in an e-Learning Environment in Korea", Paper presented at the 2007 ITEA San Antonio 69 the Annual Conference, 2007.
- Hong, Seongyoun, "Analysis of Teachers' Perception on the Successful Distance Learners by Q-methodology: Focused on Teachers entering the Cyber Graduate School, The Journal of Korean Teacher Education, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp.429-463, 2011. https://doi.org/10.24211/tjkte.2011.28.4.429
- A. Ezzat Labib, Jose H. Canos, M. Carmen Penades, "On the way to learning style models integration: a Learner's Characteristics Ontology", Computers in Human Behavior Vol. 73, pp.433-445, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.03.054
- Yi-Chun Chang, Wen-Yan Kao, Chih-Ping Chu, Chiung-Hui Chiu, "A learning style classification mechanism for e-learning", Computers & Education, Vol. 53, pp.273-285, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2009.02.008
- Eun-Jin Oh, "The analysis of on-line learning satisfactions among learners who have the different learning styles", Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 75-101, 2004.
- Jaemoo Lee, "Development of an Adaptive Instruction System Applying Gregorc's Learning Style", Journal of The Korea Association of information Education, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp.383-391. 2013. https://doi.org/10.14352/jkaie.2013.17.4.383
- Choi, Mina, Rho, Hye-Lan, "The analysis of learner characters, e-learning academic achievement, e-learning satisfaction and motive to take mobile learning courses according to a student's learning style in University", Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp.555-570, 2016.
- Jeong-Hee Kwon and Jae-Kyung Lee, "Effects of Learning Style on Learning Achievement and the Preference for Learner-Support Functions in a Web-Based Instruction", Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 111-138, 2002. https://doi.org/10.17232/KSET.18.4.111
- Jeong, Mu Goan, Choi, H. S. Lee, H. Y., Kim, M. J. "A Study on the Effect of Learner's Characteristics and e-learning System in the e-learning Satisfaction : Focused on the Mediating Effect of Lecture Commitment", The Korean Research Assocation for the Business Education, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp.21-50, 2014.
- Kim, Han-Ju, Roh, Seak-Zoon, Yu, Byeong-Min, "The Effect of Learner Characteristics, Teaching Presence, and Content Quality on Learning Effets in the General University e-Learning: Focused on the Mediating Effet of Learning Flow", The Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.171-194, 2015.
- Jeongmin Lee, Youngju Kim, "Examining structural relationships among self-regulated learning, flow, satisfaction and continuous intention to use smart learning", The Journal of Educational Research, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.127-150, 2015.
- Jeon Kwang Ho, "The Different Effect of e-learning Content Quality on Student Satisfaction", Journal of Product Research, Vol.34, No. 4, pp.137-149, 2016.
- Patricio E. Ramirez-Correa, F. Javier Rondan-Cataluna, Jorge Arenas-Gaitan, Jorge L. Alfaro-Perez, "Moderating effect of learning styles on a learning management system's success," Telematics and Informatics, Vol. 34, pp.272-286, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tele.2016.04.006
- Chihyun Ahn, Soo-Kyoung Joung, Sangwon Kim, Inho Choi, "The Analysis of E-learning Learners Characteristics for Improving Teaching and Learning in Online", The journal of Korean institute of information technology. Vol. 14, No. 4, pp.187-194, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14801/jkiit.2016.14.4.187
- Mi-Kyung Park, Myung-Sook Park, "Effects of psychological empowerment on achievement in team based learning: Mediating effect of co-regulation", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 10, pp.367-376, 2017.
- Eun Hee Kim, Ho Seung Byun, "Developing Guidelines for Training Program to Increase Faculty E-learning Competencies", (The)Journal of educational information and media. Vol. 21, No. 4, pp.573-599, 2015.