- Volume 26 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Aquatic and Riparian Environmental Factors on Eurasian Otter (Lutra lutra) Presence Characteristics in the Nakdong River Basin
낙동강 권역의 하천 수면공간 및 수변환경이 수달의 출현에 미치는 영향분석
- Shin, Geehoon (Department of Environmental Planning, Keimyung University) ;
- Rho, Paikho (Department of Environmental Planning, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2017.08.14
- Accepted : 2017.12.19
- Published : 2017.12.31
This study aimed to identify the aquatic and riparian factors associated with the presence/absence of the Eurasian otter in the Nakdong river basin, where the species is relatively more abundant than other otter species. Environmental factors and presence records were collected. Geographical Information System technology and chi-square test were used to compare environmental gradients in aquatic and riparian factors between presence and absence sites. Aquatic habitat attributes were evaluated with natural riverside sandbars and channel crossing artificial structures, the ratio of channel width to alluvial plain width, riverbed substrate, and flow diversity. Riverbank characteristics, bank materials, man-made embankment types, and land use/land cover of inland and riverside areas were selected as riparian habitat attributes. Compared to the aquatic attributes, riparian attributes were highly significant when assessing otter presence and absence sites, suggesting that conservation of suitable riparian areas to provide maternity and resting areas for otter species is essential in the Nakdong river basin. None of the aquatic attributes examined were statistically significant when evaluating otter presence or absence. These results indicate that the presence of suitable riparian area for resting and reproduction habitats is more critical to the presence of Eurasian otter than food availability in aquatic areas. To inform implementation of effective conservation actions, broad-scale factors, such as watershed attributes, would be needed to further assess habitat conditions of the Eurasian otter.
Grant : 멸종위기 포유류 3종(사향노루, 산양, 수달)의 종분포모델 및 서식지 적합성지수 모델의 비교연구
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Cha, H. G., Kim, J. H., Yoon, M. H., 2017. A study on changes in the density of Eurasian otter spraints(2012-2016) - The Busan New Port-, J. Environ. Sci. Int., 26(4), 457-466. https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2017.26.4.457
- Cha, S. M., Han, S. Y., Son, S. W., 2001, Food habits of Eurasian otter (Lutra lutra) in Seomjin river and Namhae area in Korea, The Korean Society for Integrative Biology Conference Proceedings, 135.
- Choi, J. W., Yoon, M. H., 2012, A Study on food habits of the otter (Lutra lutra) and effects of construction of the Busan new port on its prey, J. Life Sci., 22(6), 736-743. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.6.736
- Craig, D. A., 1987, Some of what you should know about water, Proceedings of the 35th Annual Meeting of the North America Benthological Society, 178-182.
- Han, S. Y., 1997. The ecological studies of Eurasian otter (Lutra lutra) in south Korea, Ph.D. Thesis, Kyungnam National University. Changwon, Korea.
- Hewson, R., 1969, Couch building by otters Lutra lutra, J. Zool., 159(4), 524-527. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-7998.1969.tb03904.x
- Hwang, S. J., Lee, S. W., Park, Y. S., 2011, Ecological monitoring, assessment, and restoration of running waters in Korea, Korean J. Limnol, 47, S1-S2. https://doi.org/10.1051/limn/2011015
- IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources), 2014, IUCN Red List of Threatened Animals, New Zealand.
- Jo, M. H., Lee, S. H., Choi, H. L., Jang, S. H., 2013a, Building a GIS database for analyzing the integrated information on aquatic ecosystem health and its application, J. Korean Assoc. Geogr. Inf. Stud., 16(4), 189-203. https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2013.16.4.189
- Jo, M. H., Byun, M. S., Sim, J. S., Jang, S. H., 2013b, Geographic distribution of periphyton diatom species: A Case study of Achnanthes convergens in Nakdong river basin, J. Korean Assoc. Geogr. Inf. Stud., 17(3), 175-194. https://doi.org/10.11108/KAGIS.2014.17.3.175
- Jo, M. H., Sim, J. S., Lee, J. A., Jang, S. H., 2015, Health assessment of the Nakdong river basin aquatic ecosystems utilizing GIS and spatial statistics, J. Korean Assoc. Geogr. Inf. Stud., 18(2), 174-189. https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2015.18.2.174
- Jo, Y. S., Won, C. M., Kim, J. P., 2006, Distribution of Eurasian otter Lutra lutra in Korea, Korean J. Environ. Biol., 24(1), 89-94.
- Kruuk, H., Conroy, J. W. H., Glimmerveen, U., Ouwerkerk, E. J., 1986, The use of spraints to survey populations of otters Lutra lutra, Biological Conservation., 35(2), 187-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3207(86)90050-9
- Kruuk, H., 1995, Wild otters: predation and populations, Oxford University Press Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Lee, H. J., Ha, J. W., Cha, J. Y., Lee, J. H., Yoon, H. N., Chung, C. U., Oh, H. S., Bae, S. Y., 2017. The habitat classification of mammals in Korea based on the national ecosystem survey, J. EIA, 26(2), 160-170.
- Lee, S. D., Cho, H. S., 2005, A Study of habitat use pattern of river otter (Lutra lutra) with land-cover map, J. EIA, 14(6), 377-385.
- Manson, C. F., MacDonald, S. M., 1987, The use of spraints for surveying otter Lutra lutra populations: an evaluation, Biological Conservation., 41(3), 167-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3207(87)90100-5
- Min, H. K., 2007, Studies on the behavior ecology and habitat environment of Eurasian otter(Lutra lutra) by radio-tracking, Ph.D. Thesis, Gyeongsang National University. Jinju, Korea.
- Ministry of Environment, 2012, The 4th nationwide survey guideline for natural environment, Ministry of Environment, Gwacheon, Korea.
- Ministry of Environment, 2013, Guideline for the national aquatic ecological monitoring program, Ministry of Environment, Sejong, Korea.
- Ministry of Environment, 2014, Survey and assessment report of stream river ecosystem health, Ministry of Environment, Sejong, Korea.
- Noh, S. Y., Choi, H. L., Park, J. Y., Hwang, S. J., Kim, S. H., Lee, J. A., 2015, Ecological health assessment using fish for the Han river and Nakdong river in Korea. J. Korean Soc. Water Environ., 31(3), 319-327. https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2015.31.3.319
- Rho, P., 2015, Using habitat suitability model for the wild boar (Sus scrofa Linnaeus) to select wildlife passage sites in extensively disturbed forests, J. Ecol. Environ., 38(2), 163-173. https://doi.org/10.5141/ecoenv.2015.018
- Thomas, A. G., John, E., Brock, R. M., Danny M., 2006, Space use and sociality of river otters(Lontra canadensis) in minnesota, J. Mammal., 87(4), 740-747. https://doi.org/10.1644/05-MAMM-A-337R1.1