- Volume 23 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Self-directed Practice using Peer-tutoring on Confidence, Performance and Learning Satisfaction of Nursing Students in Practicing Core Nursing Skills
동료 교수학습이 핵심기본간호술 수행자신감, 숙련도와 학습만족도에 미치는 효과
- Received : 2016.07.12
- Accepted : 2017.01.23
- Published : 2017.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of the non-equivalent control group pretest-posttest study was to test the effects of self-directed nursing practice using peer-tutoring, on the level of confidence, performance and learning satisfaction of nursing students in practicing core nursing skills. Methods: The data were collected from 80 junior nursing students at a nursing college in Daejeon before and after 3 weeks of intervention on practicing six core nursing skills, according to the highest order of priority. The subjects were divided into the peer-tutoring practice group (PTPG, n=40) and the lecturer-guided practice group (LGPG, n=40). The data were analyzed using mean, frequency, and t-test. Results: The PTPG scored statistically higher than the LGPG on the performance of 'indwelling urinary catheterization' and 'wearing protection equipment while entering quarantine room & disposing waste'. The PTPG scored statistically higher than the LGPG on the confidence of 'indwelling urinary catheterization' and 'inserting intravenous catheterization'. The PTPG scored statistically higher on learning satisfaction than LGPG. Conclusion: The results showed that self-directed nursing practice using peer-tutoring could be effective for nursing students in improving proficiency in core nursing skills and might be applied to core nursing skills training.
Learning;Nursing students;Clinical competence;Satisfaction
- Barrett, C., & Myrick, F. (1998). Job satisfaction in preceptorship and its effect on the clinical performance of the preceptee. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 27(2), 364-371. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.1998.00511.x
- Byeon, Y. S., Lim, N. Y., Kang, K. S., Sung, M. S., Won, J. S., Ko, I. S., et al. (2003). Clinical nursing competency for new graduate nurses: A grounded theory approach. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 10(1), 47-56.
- Christiansen, A., & Bell, A. (2010). Peer learning partnerships: Exploring the experience of pre‐registration nursing students. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 19(5-6), 803-810. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.02981.x
- Daley, L. K., Menke, E., Kirkpatrick, B., & Sheets, D. (2008). Partners in practice: A win-win model for clinical education. Journal of Nursing Education, 47(1), 30-32. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20080101-01
- El-Sayed, S. H., Metwally, F. G., & Abdeen, M. A. (2013). Effect of peer teaching on the performance of undergraduate nursing students enrolled in nursing administration course. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice, 3(9), 156-166.
- Han, A. K., Cho, D. S., & Won, J. S. (2014). A study on learning experiences and self-confidence of core nursing skills in nursing practicum among final year nursing students. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 21(2), 162-173. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2014.21.2.162
- Hwang, E. Y. (2008). Excellent tutoring. Seoul: Hakjisa.
- Joo, G. E., Song, K. Y., & Kim, H. J. (2015). Effects of a standardized patient simulation program for nursing students on nursing competence, communication skill, self-efficacy and critical thinking ability for blood transfusion. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 22(1), 49-58. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.1.49
- Joo, Y. J., & Kim, J. Y. (2003). An inquiry into tutors roles and competencies in e-Learning environment. Journal of Educational Studies. 34(1), 19-39.
- Kim, I. S. (2010). A case study on the activity of a learning community : based on a peer tutoring in K-university. Andragogy Today: Interdisciplinary Jounal of Adult & Continuing Education, 13(3), 1-32.
- Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education. (2012). Accreditation assessment standards for education of korea(the course of the nursing bachelor's degree). Seoul : Korean Nurses Association.
- Lee, K. M. (2000). (The) Effect of reciprocal peer tutoring on mathematics academic achievement and self-concept in mathematic disabled children. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Lee, M. J. (2003). (The) Effect of cooperative learning on academic achievement : A meta analysis. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Aoyama, M., Tamura, Y., Ishikawa, Y., Yada, M., & Miyawaki, I. (2013). Confidence‐weighted testing: A descriptive study of Japanese nursing students. Nursing & Health Sciences, 15(4), 504-509. https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12066
- Bandura, A. (1977). Self-efficacy: Toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychological Review, 84(2), 191-215. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Lee, S. G., & Shin, Y. H. (2016). Effects of self-directed feedback practice using smartphone videos on basic nursing skills, confidence in performance and learning satisfaction. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 46(2), 283-292. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.2.283
- Lee, Y. K. (2008). An academic achievement comparison of web-based learning and peer tutoring for learning by level. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Woman's University, Seoul.
- Loke, A. J., & Chow, F. L. (2007). Learning partnership-the experience of peer tutoring among nursing students: A qualitative study. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 44(2), 237-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2005.11.028
- McKenna, L., & French, J. (2011). A step ahead: Teaching undergraduate students to be peer teachers. Nurse Education in Practice, 11(2), 141-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2010.10.003
- Miciano, R. Z. (2006). Piloting a peer literacy program: Implications for teacher education. Asia Pacific Education Review, 7(1), 76-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03036786
- Paik, H. J. (2004). Educational evaluation of competency in nursing skills through open laboratory self-directed practice. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, 11(1), 13-20.
- Park, G. H., & Choi, S. H. (2016). Effects of open laboratory self-directed practice on knowledge, self-confidence, skill Competency, and satisfaction of intravenous infusion. Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, 22(1), 63-71. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.1.63
- Seo, K. T. (2008). The Effectiveness of tutoring program on understanding and thinking ability of tutors and tutees. The International Journal of Creativity & Problem Solving. 4(1), 49-62.
- Son, J. Y. (1999). The effects of cross-age peer tutoring with students with disabilities on spelling achievement and on-task behavior of tutor and tutee. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Song, S. R., & Kim, Y. J. (2015). Effect of a self-evaluation method using video recording on competency in nursing skills, self-directed learning ability. Journal of Korean Academy of Fundamentals Nursing, 22(4), 416-423. https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2015.22.4.416
- Stone, R., Cooper, S., & Cant, R. (2013). The value of peer learning in undergraduate nursing education: a systematic review. International Scholarly Research Network, 2013(1), 1-10.
- Sun, B. K., Kim, B. S., & Jung, J. O. (2009). A Case study on the activity of student initiated learning community(peer tutoring). Journal of Engineering Education Research, 12(4), 126-134. https://doi.org/10.18108/jeer.2009.12.4.126
- Wolman, B. B. (1989). Dictionary of behavioral science. Cambridge: Academic Press.
- Xu, Y., Hartman, S., Uribe, G., & Mencke, R. (2001). The effects of peer tutoring on undergraduate students' final examination scores in mathematics. Journal of College Reading and Learning, 32(1), 22-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/10790195.2001.10850123
- Yoo, M. S. (2001). Development of standardized patient managed instruction for a fundamentals of nursing course. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Analysis of Current Status of the Community Health Nursing Practice Education vol.28, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2017.28.3.347
Supported by : 국군간호사관학교