- Volume 22 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The analysis of groundwater table variations in Sylhet region, Bangladesh
- Zafor, Md. Abu (Department of Civil Engineering, Leading University) ;
- Alam, Md. Jahir Bin (Department of CEE, Shahjalal University of Science & Technology) ;
- Rahman, Md. Azizur (Department of Civil Engineering, Leading University) ;
- Amin, Mohammad Nurul (Department of CEE, Shahjalal University of Science & Technology)
- Received : 2016.12.15
- Accepted : 2017.04.27
- Published : 2017.12.31
The trend analysis of the study was acquired by selecting multiyear monthly groundwater table data and monitors the wells in each sub-district under the study area. The intention of this research was to analyze the outcome of the non-parametric Mann-Kendall test at greater than the significance level which is 95% of groundwater level in Sylhet. The aptitude is effective at two conjunctures where the confidence bounds are 95% and it meets the estimate line of Sen's. To calculate and assess the spatial differences in the inanition of groundwater table, geostatistical methods was applied based on data from 27 groundwater wells during the period from January 1975 to December 2011 which were obtained from a secondary source, Bangladesh Water Development Board. The geographic information system was used to assess the spatial change in order to find the level of groundwater. Cross-validation errors were found within an advisable level in estimating the groundwater depth with different interpolation models of ordinary kriging methods. Finally, surface maps were generated with the best-fitted model. The southeast region was found highly vulnerable from groundwater level point of view. Northern region was detected highest hazard prone area for diverge groundwater using kriging method.
Geostatistical method;GIS;Kriging method;Mann-Kendall test;Sen's method;Trend analysis
- Ahmadian M, Chavoshian M. Spatial variability zonation of groundwater-table by use geo-statistical methods in central region of Hamadan Province. Ann. Biol. Res. 2012;3:5304-5312.
- Shamsudduha M, Chandler R, Taylor R, Ahmed K. Recent trends in groundwater levels in a highly seasonal hydrological system: The Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna Delta. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 2009;13:2373-2385. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-13-2373-2009
- Phien-wej N, Giao P, Nutalaya P. Land subsidence in Bangkok, Thailand. Eng. Geol. 2006;82:187-201. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2005.10.004
- Bui D, Kawamura A, Tong T, Amaguchi H, Nakagawa N. Spatio-temporal analysis of recent groundwater-level trends in the Red River Delta, Vietnam. Hydrogeol. J. 2012;20:1635-1650. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10040-012-0889-4
- Akther H, Ahmed M, Rasheed K. Spatial and temporal analysis of groundwater level fluctuation in Dhaka City, Bangladesh. Asian J. Earth Sci. 2009;2:49-57. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajes.2009.49.57
- Baalousha H. Mapping groundwater contamination risk using GIS and groundwater modelling. A case study from the Gaza Strip, Palestine. Arab. J. Geosci. 2010;4:483-494.
- Antonellini M, Mollema P, Giambastiani B, et al. Salt-water intrusion in the coastal aquifer of the Southern Po Plain, Italy. Hydrogeol. J. 2008;16:1541-1556. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10040-008-0319-9
- Konikow L. Contribution of global groundwater depletion since 1900 to sea-level rise. Geophys. Res. Lett. 2011;38:L17401.
- Scott C, Sharma B. Energy supply and the expansion of groundwater irrigation in the Indus-Ganges Basin. Int. J. River Basin Manage. 2009;7:119-124. https://doi.org/10.1080/15715124.2009.9635374
- IRRI (International Rice Research Institute). World Rice Statistics (WRS), Philippines. International Rice Research Institute, Manila; 2010.
- Sarkar A, Ali M. Water table dynamics of Dhaka City and its long-term trend analysis using the "MAKESENS" model. Water Int. 2009;34:373-382. https://doi.org/10.1080/02508060903115183
- Ali M, Abustan I, Rahman M, Haque A. Sustainability of groundwater resources in the north-eastern region of Bangladesh. Water Resour. Manag. 2011;26:623-641.
- Jahan C, Mazumder Q, Islam A, Adham M. Impact of irrigation in Barind Area, NW Bangladesh - An evaluation based on the meteorological parameters and fluctuation trend in groundwater table. J. Geol. Soc. India 2010;76:134-142. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12594-010-0085-x
- Helsel D, Hirsch R. Statistical methods in water resources. 1st ed. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 1992.
- Chen H, Guo S, Xu C, Singh V. Historical temporal trends of hydro-climatic variables and runoff response to climate variability and their relevance in water resource management in the Hanjiang Basin. J. Hydrol. 2007;344:171-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2007.06.034
- Mann H. Nonparametric tests against trend. Econometrica 1945;13:245-259. https://doi.org/10.2307/1907187
- Kendall M. Rank correlation methods. 1st ed. London: Charles Griffin & Company, Ltd.; 1955.
- Bandyopadhyay A, Bhadra A, Raghuwanshi N, Singh R. Temporal trends in estimates of reference evapotranspiration over India. J. Hydrol. Eng. 2009;14:508-515. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)HE.1943-5584.0000006
- Ramazanipour M, Roshani M. Seasonal trend analysis of precipitation and discharge parameters in Guilan, north of the Iran. In: Proceedings of 1st International Conference on Humanities, Geography and Economics (ICHGE'2011) Pattaya; 2011. p. 290-293.
- Tabari H, Marofi S, Aeini A, Talaee P, Mohammadi K. Trend analysis of reference evapotranspiration in the western half of Iran. Agr. Forest Meteorol. 2011;151:128-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agrformet.2010.09.009
- Patle GT, Singh DK, Sarangi A, Rai A, Khanna M, Sahoo RN. Temporal variability of climatic parameters and potential evapotranspiration. Indian J. Agr. Sci. 2013;83:518-524.
- Salmi T. Detecting trends of annual values of atmospheric pollutants by the Mann-Kendall test and Sen's slope estimates. 1st ed. Helsinki: Finnish Meteorological Institute; 2002.
- Sen P. Estimates of the regression coefficient based on Kendall's tau. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 1968;63:1379-1389. https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1968.10480934
- Khan F. Geology of Bangladesh. 1st ed. Bangladesh: University Press; 2000.
- Aller L, Bennett T, Lehr J, Petty R, Hackett,G, Thornhill J. DRASTIC: A standardized system for evaluating groundwater pollution potential using hydrogeologic settings. 1st ed. USEPA; 1987.
- Kendall M. Rank correlation methods. 1st ed. London: Griffin; 1975.
- Kahya E, Kalayci S. Trend analysis of streamflow in Turkey. J. Hydrol. 2004;289:128-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2003.11.006
- Partal T, Kahya E. Trend analysis in Turkish precipitation data. Hydrol. Process. 2006;20:2011-2026. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.5993
- Isaaks E, Srivastava R. Applied geostatistics. 1st ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 1989.
- Goovaerts P. Geostatistics for natural resources evaluation. 1st ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 1997.
- Rossi R, Dungan J, Beck L. Kriging in the shadows: Geostatistical interpolation for remote sensing. Remote Sens. Environ. 1994;49:32-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/0034-4257(94)90057-4
- Adhikary S, Sharif A, Das S, Saha G. Geostatistical analysis of groundwater level fluctuations in the shallow aquifer of northwestern Bangladesh. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Civil Engineering for Sustainable Development (ICCESD), 14-16 February, KUET, Khulna, Bangladesh; 2014.
- Jothiprakash V, Sakhare S. Ground water level fluctuations using artificial neural network. In: Proceeding of the 12th International Conference of International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG) 1-6 October, Goa, India; 2008.
- Long-term trend detection and spatiotemporal analysis of groundwater levels using GIS techniques in Lower Bhavani River basin, Tamil Nadu, India pp.1573-2975, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-019-00318-3