- Volume 20 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development of BIM-based bridge maintenance system for cable-stayed bridges
- Shim, Chang-su (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Kang, Hwirang (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Dang, Ngoc Son (Department of Civil Engineering, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Lee, Deokkeun (Long Span Bridge Management Center, Korea Infrastructure Safety & Technology Corporation)
- Received : 2017.03.06
- Accepted : 2017.11.12
- Published : 2017.12.25
Maintenance plays a critical role in the bridge industry, but actual practices show many limitations because of traditional, 2D-based information systems. It is necessary to develop a new generation of maintenance information management systems for more reliable decision making in bridge maintenance. Enhancing current work processes requires a BIM-based 3D digital model that can use information from the whole lifecycle of a project (design, construction, operation, and maintenance) through continuous exchanges and updates from each stakeholder. This study describes the development of a data scheme for maintenance of cable-stayed bridges. We implemented the proposed system for a cable-stayed bridge and discussed its effectiveness.
bridge maintenance;BIM;3D digital model;data schema;cable-stayed bridge
Grant : Research on Standard Development for BIM Based Special Bridge Maintenance
Supported by : Korea Infrastructure Safety & Technology Corporation (KISTEC), Chung-Ang University
- Bartholomew, M., Blasen, B. and Koc, A. (2015), "Bridge Information Modeling (BrIM) Using Open Parameter Objects", FHWA-HIF-16-00, U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration.
- Bien, J. (2011), "Modelling of structure geometry in Bridge Management Systems", Arch. Civil. Mech. Eng., 11
- Chen, S.S., Kannan, N., Patil, R.B. and Potturi, K. (2003), "Evaluation of 3D Computer Modeling and Electronic Information Transfer for Efficient Design and Construction of Steel Bridges", National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP), Revised Draft Final Report on Project 20-7, Task 149.
- Chipman T., Eastman C., Liebich, T. and Yang, D. (2016), Bridge Information Modeling Standardization Report Volume I, II, III", FHWA-HIE-16-011, U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration.
- Denysiuk, R., Fernandes, J., Matos, J.C., Neves L.C. and Berardinelli, U. (2016), "A computational framework for infrastructure asset maintenance scheduling", Struct. Eng. Int., 26(2), 94-102. https://doi.org/10.2749/101686616X14555428759046
- Gallaher, M.P., O'Connor, A.C., Dettbarn, J.L. and Gilday, L.T. (2004), "Cost analysis of inadequate inoperability in the capital facilities industry", National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Technical Report, NIST GCR-04-867.
- Hammad, A., Yan, J. and Mostofi, B. (2007), "Recent development of bridge management systems in Canada", Proceedings of the 2007 Annual Conference and Exhibition of the Transportation Association of Canada.
- Hammad, A., Zhang, C., Hu, Y.X. and Mozaffari, E. (2006), "Mobile model-based bridge lifecycle management system", Comput.-Aided Civil Infrastruct. Eng., 21, 530-547. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8667.2006.00456.x
- Janjic, D., Bokan, H. and Love, R.A. (2008), "The evolution of bridge information modeling", Proceedings of the 11th East Asia-Pacific conference on Structural engineering and Construction(EASEC-11), Taipei, Taiwan, National Taiwan University, November.
- Katz, C. (2008), "Parametric description of bridge structures", Proceedings of the IABSE conference on information and communication technology for bridges, buildings and construction practice, Helsinki, Finland, June, IABSE.
- Lee, G., Sacks, R. and Eastman, C.M. (2006), "Specifying parametric building behavior (BOB) for a building information modeling system", Automat. Constr., 15(6), 758-776. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2005.09.009
- Lee, K.M., Lee, Y.B., Shim, C.S. and Park, K.L. (2010), "Bridge information models for construction of a concrete box-girder bridge", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng.
- Leeuwen, J.P. van and van der Zee, A. (2005), "Distributed object models for collaboration in the construction industry", Automat. Constr., 14(4), 491-499. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2004.09.004
- Lukas, K. and Borrmann, A. (2012), "Integrated Bridge Management from 3D-Model to Network Level", Proceedings of the 6th International IABMAS Conference.
- Maher, M.L., Liew, P., Gu, N. and Ding, L. (2005), "An agent approach to supporting collaborative design in 3D virtual worlds", Automat. Constr., 14(2), 189-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2004.07.008
- Marzouk, M.M., Hisham, M. and Al-Gahtani, K. (2014), "Applications of bridge information modeling in bridges life cycle", Smart Struct. Syst., 13(3), 407-418. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.13.3.407
- Miyamoto, A., Kawamura, K. and Nakamura, H. (2001), "Development of a bridge management system for existing bridges", Adv. Eng. Softw., 32(10-11), 821-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(01)00034-5
- Plume, J. and Mitchell, J. (2007), "Collaborative design using a shared IFC building model - Learning from experience", Autom. Constr., 16(1), 28-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2005.10.003
- Robinson, C. (2008), "Structural building information modeling in use", Proceedings of the IABSE conference on information and communication technology for bridges, buildings and construction practice, Helsinki, Finland, June, IABSE.
- Shim, C.S., Dang, N.S., Kang, H.R. and Kim, D.C. (2016), "3D Information Model Based Bridge maintenance", Proceedings of the 5th International Technical Conference, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, November.
- Shim, C.S., Kim, S.W., Song, H.H. and Yun N.R. (2011), "Development of BIM for a maintenance system of subway infrastructure", J. KIBIM, 1(1), 6-12.
- Shim, C.S., Lee, K.M, Kang, L.S., Hwang, J. and Kim, Y.H. (2012), "Three-dimensional information model-based bridge engineering in Korea", Struct. Eng. Int., 22(1), 8-13.
- Shim, C.S., Lee, K.M., Son, W.S. and Moon, J.W. (2008), "Collaborative design of high-speed railway lines using 3D information models", Proceedings of the IABSE conference on information and communication technology for bridges, buildings and construction practice, Helsinki, Finland, June, IABSE.
- Shimizu, T., Yoshikawa, S., Takinami, I. and Nakayama, T. (2013), "Development of bridge management system using three-dimensional model", J. Japan Soc. Civil Engineers, Ser. F3 (Civil Engineering Informatics), 69(2), 45-53. https://doi.org/10.2208/jscejcei.69.I_45
- Thomas, S.R., Macken, C.L. and Lee, S.H. (2001), "Impacts of design/Information technology on building and industrial projects", National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Technical Report, NIST GCR 01-828.
- Verheij, H. and Augenbroe, G. (2006), "Collaborative planning of AEC projects and partnerships", Automat. Constr., 15(4), 428-437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2005.06.011
- Verma, K., et al. (2001), "Steel bridge fabrication technologies in Europe and Japan [online]", US Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, International Technical Exchange Program, Report No. FHWA-PL-01-018.
- Whyte, J., Bouchlaghem, N., Thorpe, A. and McCaffer, R. (2000), "From CAD to virtual reality: modeling approaches, data exchange and interactive 3D building design tools", Automat. Constr., 10(1), 43-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-5805(99)00012-6
- Yabuki, N. and Shitani, T. (2003), "An IFC-based product model for RC or PC slab bridges", Proceedings of the CIB W78's 20th international conference on information technology for construction, Waiheke Island, New Zealand, April, CIB, 463-471.
- Yin, Z.H., Li, Y.F., Guo, J. and Li, Y. (2011), "Integration research and design of the bridge maintenance management system", Procedia Eng., 15, 5429-5434. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.08.1007