- Volume 11 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Beginning of a New Standard: Internet of Media Things
- Kim, Sang-Kyun (College of Convergence Software, Myongji University) ;
- Sahu, Nevadita (Computer Engineering Department, Myongji University) ;
- Preda, Marius (INT Telecom Ecole de Management)
- Received : 2017.05.05
- Accepted : 2017.07.24
- Published : 2017.11.30
Recently, Internet of Things (IoT) drives a large variety of research, development, and new type of markets. All type of devices and sensors will be part of the Internet of Things and will be able to communicate not only plain data, but also audio-visual, olfactory, and haptic media data. In addition, as the devices and sensors getting smarter, it is highly probable that they can process acquired media and metadata to extract higher level of information (e.g., semantics). To support such enhanced functionalities, ISO/IEC SC29 WG11 (MPEG) starts a new standard project, ISO/IEC 23093, called Internet of Media Things (IoMT) to provide standard data formats and APIs for media things. This paper presents the standardization activities of IoMT focusing on explaining terms, standard scopes, and major media things with their use cases. One of the use cases, an IoT system for a blind pedestrian navigation assistance, is evaluated to prove its effectiveness.
Grant : R&D and International Standardization of IoT cameras, sensors, and services
Supported by : Korean Agency for Technology and Standards (KATS)
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC29 WG11 N16535, "Call for Proposals on Internet of Media Things and Wearables," 116th MPEG Chengdu meeting, Oct. 2016.
- S.-K. Kim, "Standardization of Media-centric Internet of Things," IWAIT 2016, Jan. 2016.
- S.-K. Kim, "Media-centric Internet of Things Camera System," in Proc. of The 4th International Conference on Smart Media and Application, vol. 4(1), pp. 133-136, Jan. 2016.
- S.-K. Kim, "Internet of media things towards surrealistic worlds with 3D scent technology," 3rd World congress on Digital Olfaction, vol. 4, pp. 10, Dec. 2016.
- Kyoungro Yoon, Sang-Kyun Kim, Jae Joon Han, Seungju Han, Marius Preda, "MPEG-V: Bridging the virtual and real world," Elsevier, ISBN: 978-0-12-420140-8.
- Yong-Soo Joo, Sang-Kyun Kim, "Sensory Effect Authoring Tool for Sensible Media," Journal of Broadcast Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 693-893, Sept. 2011 (in Korean). https://doi.org/10.5909/JEB.2011.16.5.693
- Sang-Kyun Kim, "Authoring Multisensorial Content," Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol. 28, Issue 2, pp. 162-167, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2012.10.011
- Sang-Kyun Kim, Yong-Soo Joo, YongMi Lee, "Sensible Media Simulation in an Automobile Application and Human Responses to Sensory Effects," ETRI Journal, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 1001-1010, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.2013.0038
- Sang-Kyun Kim, Seung-Jun Yang, Chung Hyun AHN, Yong Soo Joo, "Sensorial Information Extraction and Mapping to Generate Temperature Sensory Effects," ETRI Journal, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 224-231, Apr. 2014. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.14.2113.0065
- Sang-Kyun Kim, Jae Joon Han, Seungju Han, Yong Soo Joo, "Virtual world control system using sensed information and adaptation engine," Signal Processing: Image Communication, vol. 28, Issue 2, pp. 87-96, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.image.2012.10.006
- Dan Wu, Liang Zhou, Yueming Cai, "Social-Aware Rate Based Content Sharing Mode Selection for D2D Content Sharing Scenarios," IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, vol. PP, Issue 99, 03 May 2017.
- "Mobile Device-to-Device Video Distribution: Theory and Application," ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications and Applications, vol. 12, no.3, pp. 1253-1271, 2015.
- Sang-Kyun Kim, Jinguk Jeong, Hyoung-Gook Kim, and Min Gyo Chung, "A Personal Videocasting System with Intelligent TV Browsing for a Practical Video Application Environment," ETRI Journal, vol.31, no.1, pp.10-20, Feb. 2009. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.09.0108.0139
- Nevadita Sahu, "A Navigation System for Visually Challenged People Implementing IoT (Internet of Things)," Maters degree thesis.
- Nevadita Sahu, Jonghoon Chun, and Sang-Kyun Kim, "EVALUATION OF IOT BASED NAVIGATION SYSTEM FOR VISUALLY IMPAIRED," 3rd EEECS 2017, Jan. 2017.
- Nevadita Sahu, Min Hyuk Jeong, Jonghoon Chun, and Sang-Kyun Kim, "A Vision Disabled-Aid using the Context of Internet of Things," Journal of broadcast engineering, Vol. 22(1), pp. 78-86, Jan. 2017. https://doi.org/10.5909/JBE.2017.22.1.78
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC29 WG11 N16534, "Requirements for Internet of Media Things and Wearables," 116th MPEG Chengdu meeting, Oct. 2016.
- ISO/IEC JTC1 SC29 WG11 N16533, "Use cases for Internet of Media Things and Wearables," 116th MPEG Chengdu meeting, Oct. 2016.
- A. Singh, A. Thakur and A. Taparia, "Analysis of computer vision and sensor technologies to assist the visually impaired," in Proc. of Green Computing and Internet of Things (ICGCIoT), International Conference on, pp. 135-138, 2015.