- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Experimental research on seismic behavior of steel reinforced high-strength concrete short columns
- Zhu, Weiqing (School of Highway, Chang'an University) ;
- Jia, Jinqing (Faculty of Infrastructure Engineering, Dalian University of Technology) ;
- Zhang, Junguang (Bureau of Traffic Construction Engineering Quality Supervision of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region)
- Received : 2017.06.29
- Accepted : 2017.09.03
- Published : 2017.12.10
This experimental research presents the seismic performance of steel reinforced high-strength concrete (SRHC) short columns. Eleven SRHC column specimens were tested under simulated earthquake loading conditions, including six short column specimens and five normal column specimens. The parameters studied included the axial load level, stirrup details and shear span ratio. The failure modes, critical region length, energy dissipation capacity and deformation capacity, stiffness and strength degradation and shear displacement of SRHC short columns were analyzed in detail. The effects of the parameters on seismic performance were discussed. The test results showed that SRHC short columns exhibited shear-flexure failure characteristics. The critical region length of SRHC short columns could be taken as the whole column height, regardless of axial load level. In comparison to SRHC normal columns, SRHC short columns had weaker energy dissipation capacity and deformation capacity, and experienced faster stiffness degradation and strength degradation. The decrease in energy dissipation and deformation capacity due to the decreasing shear span ratio was more serious when the axial load level was higher. However, SRHC short columns confined by multiple stirrups might possess good seismic behavior with enough deformation capacity (ultimate drift ratio
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation, Shaanxi Natural Science Foundation
- Afroughsabet, V. and Ozbakkaloglu, T. (2015), "Mechanical and durability properties of high-strength concrete containing steel and polypropylene fibers", Constr. Build. Mater., 94(7), 73-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.06.051
- Bai, Z.Z. and Au, F.T.K. (2013), "Flexural ductility design of high-strength concrete columns", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 22(1), 92-115. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.662
- Chen, C.C. and Lin, N.J. (2006), "Analytical model for predicting axial capacity and behavior of concrete encased steel composite stub columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 62(5), 424-433. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2005.04.021
- Chen, Z.P., Xu, J.J., Chen, Y.L. and Xue, J.Y. (2016), "Axial compression ratio limit values for steel reinforced concrete (SRC) special shaped columns", Steel Compos. Struct., 20(2), 295-316. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.2.295
- El-Tawil, S. and Deierlein, G.G. (1999), "Strength and ductility of concrete encased composite columns", J. Struct. Eng., 125(9), 1009-1019. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:9(1009)
- Ellobody, E. and Young, B. (2011), "Numerical simulation of concrete encased steel composite columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(2), 211-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2010.08.003
- Fang, L., Zhang, B., Jin, G.F., Li, K.W. and Wang, Z.L. (2015), "Seismic behavior of concrete-encased steel cross-shaped columns", J. Constr. Steel Res., 109(6), 24-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2015.03.001
- Hadi, M.N.S. (2005), "Behaviour of high strength axially loaded concrete columns confined with helices", Constr Build Mater, 19(2), 135-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2004.05.006
- Hassan, W.M., Hodhod, O.A., Hilal, M.S. and Bahnasaway, H.H. (2017), "Behavior of eccentrically loaded high strength concrete columns jacketed with FRP laminates". Constr. Build. Mater., 138(5), 508-527. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.02.016
- Ho, J.C.M., Lam, J.Y.K. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2010), "Effectiveness of adding confinement for ductility improvement of high-strength concrete columns", Eng. Struct., 32(3), 714-725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.11.017
- Hong, K.N., Han, S.H. and Yi, S.T. (2006), "High-strength concrete columns confined by low-volumetric-ratio lateral ties", Eng. Struct., 28(9), 1346-1353. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.01.010
- JGJ138 (2001), Technical specification for steel reinforced concrete composite structures, China Ministry of Construction, Beijing, China.
- Jia, J.Q., Jiang, R. and Hou, T. (2006), "Experimental study on the seismic performance of steel reinforced super high-strength concrete columns", China Civ. Eng. J., 39(8), 14-18.
- Lam, J.Y.K., Ho, J.C.M. and Kwan, A.K.H. (2009), "Flexural ductility of high-strength concrete columns with minimal confinement", Mater. Struct., 42(7), 909-921. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-008-9431-5
- Légeron, F. and Paultre, P. (2000), "Behavior of high-strength concrete columns under cyclic flexure and constant axial load", ACI Struct. J., 97(4), 591-601.
- Ma, H., Xue, J.Y., Liu, Y.H. and Dong, J. (2016), "Numerical analysis and horizontal bearing capacity of steel reinforced recycled concrete columns", Steel Compos. Struct., 22(4), 797-820. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.22.4.797
- Ma, H., Xue, J.Y., Zhang, X.C. and Luo, D. (2013), "Seismic performance of steel-reinforced recycled concrete columns under low cyclic loads", Constr. Build. Mater., 48(11), 229-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.06.019
- Moretti, M.L. and Tassios, T.P. (2006), "Behavior and ductility of reinforced concrete short columns using global truss model", ACI Struct. J., 103(3), 319-327.
- Moretti, M.L. and Tassios, T.P. (2007), "Behavior of short columns subjected to cyclic shear displacement: Experimental results", Eng. Struct., 29(8), 2018-2029. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.11.001
- Naito, H., Akiyama, M. and Suzuki, M. (2011), "Ductility evaluation of concrete-encased steel bridge piers subjected to lateral cyclic loading", J. Bridge Eng., 16(1), 72-81. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000120
- Pam, H.J. and Ho, J.C.M. (2009), "Length of critical region for confinement steel in limited ductility high-strength reinforced concrete columns", Eng. Struct., 31(12), 2896-2908. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.07.015
- Paultre, P., Légeron, F., and Mongeau, D. (2001), "Influence of concrete strength and transverse reinforcement yield strength on behavior of high-strength concrete columns", ACI Struct. J., 98(4), 490-501.
- Pham, T.M. and Hadi, M.N.S. (2014), "Confinement model for FRP confined normal- and high-strength concrete circular columns", Constr. Build. Mater., 69(10), 83-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.06.036
- Wang, D.Y., Wang, Z.Y., Smith, S.T. and Yu, T. (2017), "Seismic performance of CFRP-confined circular high-strength concrete columns with high axial compression ratio", Constr. Build. Mater., 134(3), 91-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.12.108
- Wang, Y.B. and Liew, J.Y.R. (2016), "Constitutive model for confined ultra-high strength concrete in steel tube", Constr. Build. Mater., 126(11), 812-822. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.09.079
- Xiao, J.Z. and Zhang, C. (2006), "Experimental investigation on the limitation of axial load level of RC columns in seismic regions", Adv. Struct. Eng., 9(3), 349-359. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943306777641878
- Xue, J., Chen, Z.P., Zhao, H.T., Gao, L. and Liu, Z.Q. (2012), "Shear mechanism and bearing capacity calculation on steel reinforced concrete special-shaped columns", Steel Compos. Struct., 13(5), 473-487. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2012.13.5.473
- Zheng, S.S., Zhang, L., Li, L., Hu, Y. and Hu, C.M. (2012), "Experimental research on seismic behavior of steel reinforced high strength concrete frame columns", J. Build. Struct., 33(5), 124-132.
- Zhu, W.Q., Jia, J.Q., Gao, J.C. and Zhang, F.S. (2016), "Experimental study on steel reinforced high-strength concrete columns under cyclic lateral force and constant axial load", Eng. Struct., 125(10), 191-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.07.018
- Zhu, W.Q., Meng, G. and Jia, J.Q. (2014), "Experimental studies on axial load performance of high-strength concrete short columns", Proc. ICE: Struct. Build., 167(9), 509-519. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.13.00027