- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The investigation of rock cutting simulation based on discrete element method
- Zhu, Xiaohua (School of Mechatronic Engineering, Southwest Petroleum University) ;
- Liu, Weiji (School of Mechatronic Engineering, Southwest Petroleum University) ;
- Lv, Yanxin (School of Mechatronic Engineering, Southwest Petroleum University)
- Received : 2016.01.07
- Accepted : 2017.06.16
- Published : 2017.12.25
It is well accepted that rock failure mechanism influence the cutting efficiency and determination of optimum cutting parameters. In this paper, an attempt was made to research the factors that affect the failure mechanism based on discrete element method (DEM). The influences of cutting depth, hydrostatic pressure, cutting velocity, back rake angle and joint set on failure mechanism in rock-cutting are researched by PFC2D. The results show that: the ductile failure occurs at shallow cutting depths, the brittle failure occurs as the depth of cut increases beyond a threshold value. The mean cutting forces have a linear related to the cutting depth if the cutting action is dominated by the ductile mode, however, the mean cutting forces are deviate from the linear relationship while the cutting action is dominated by the brittle mode. The failure mechanism changes from brittle mode with larger chips under atmospheric conditions, to ductile mode with crushed chips under hydrostatic conditions. As the cutting velocity increases, a grow number of micro-cracks are initiated around the cutter and the volume of the chipped fragmentation is decreasing correspondingly. The crack initiates and propagates parallel to the free surface with a smaller rake angle, but with the rake angle increases, the direction of crack initiation and propagation is changed to towards the intact rock. The existence of joint set have significant influence on crack initiation and propagation, it makes the crack prone to propagate along the joint.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China, Youth Science and Technology Innovation Research Team of Sichuan Province
- Block, G. and Jin, H. (2009), "Role of failure mode on rock cutting dynamics", Proceedings of the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition, New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A., October.
- Che, D., Han, P., Peng, B. and Ehmann, K.F. (2014), "Finite element study on chip formation and force response in two-dimensional orthogonal cutting of rock", Proceedings of the ASME 2014 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference collocated with the JSME 2014 International Conference on Materials and Processing and the 42nd North American Manufacturing Research Conference, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A., June.
- Cho, N., Martin, C.D. and Sego, D.C. (2007), "A clumped particle model for rock", J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 44(7), 997-1010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2007.02.002
- Cundall, P.A. and Hart, R.D. (1985), Development of Generalized 2-D and 3-D Distinct Element Programs for Modeling Jointed Rock, Itasca Consulting Group Inc., Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
- Cundall, P.A. and Potyondy, D.O. (2004), "A bonded-particle model for rock", J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 44(5), 1329-1364.
- Da Fontoura, S.A.B., Inoue, N., Martinez, I.M.R., Cogollo, C. and Curry, D.A. (2012), "Rock mechanics aspects of drill bit rock interaction", Proceedings of the 12th International Congress on Rock Mechanics, Beijing, China, October.
- Diederich, M.S. (2000), "Instability of hard rock masses: The role of tensile damage and relaxation", Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada.
- Fang, Z. and Harrison, J.P. (2002), "Application of a local degradation model to the analysis of brittle fracture of laboratory scale rock specimens under triaxial conditions", J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 39(4), 459-476. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00036-9
- Franca, L.F.P. and Lamine, E. (2010), "Cutting action of impregnated diamond segments: Modelling and experimental validation", Proceedings the 44th US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th US-Canada Symposium, Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A., June.
- Ghazvinian, E., Diederichs, M.S. and Quey, R. (2014), "3D random Voronoi grain-based models for simulation of brittle rock damage and fabric-guided micro-fracturing", J. Rock Mech. Geotech. Eng., 6(6), 506-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrmge.2014.09.001
- He, X. and Xu, C. (2015), "Discrete element modelling of rock cutting: from ductile to brittle transition", J. Numer. Anal. Met. Geomech., 39(12), 1331-1351. https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.2362
- Hoover, W.G., Groot, A.J.D., Hoover, C.G., Stowers, I.F., Holian, B.L., Boku, T., Ihara, S. and Belak, J. (1990), "Large-scale elastic-plastic indentation simulations via nonequilibrium molecular dynamics", Phys. Rev. A, 42(10), 5844-5853. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevA.42.5844
- Huang, H., Detournay, E. and Bellier, B. (1999), "Discrete element modelling of rock cutting", Rock. Mech. Industr., 1(1), 123-130.
- Huang, H., Lecampion, B. and Detournay, E. (2013), "Discrete element modeling of tool-rock interaction I: Rock cutting", J. Numer. Anal. Met. Geomech., 37(13), 1913-1929. https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.2113
- Innaurato, N., Oggeri, C., Oreste, P.P. and Vinai, R. (2007), "Experimental and numerical studies on rock breaking with TBM tools under high stress confinement", Rock Mech. Rock Eng., 40(5), 429-451. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00603-006-0109-4
- Itasca, C.G. (2002), Users' Manual for Particle Flow Code in 2 Dimensions (PFC2D), Minneapolis Minnesota, U.S.A.
- Jia, L., Chen, M., Zhang, W., Xu, T., Zhou, Y., Hou, B. and Jin, Y. (2013), "Experimental study and numerical modeling of brittle fracture of carbonate rock under uniaxial compression", Mech. Res. Commun., 50, 58-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechrescom.2013.04.002
- Ledgerwood, L.W. (2007), "PFC modeling of rock cutting under high pressure conditions", Proceedings of the 1st Canada-US Rock Mechanics Symposium, Vancouver, Canada, May.
- Lei, S.T. and Kaitkay, P. (2003), "Distinct elementmodeling of rock cutting under hydrostatic pressure", Key Eng. Mater., 250, 110-117. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.250.110
- Mahabadi, O.K., Lisjak, A., Munjiza, A. and Grasselli, G. (2012), "Y-Geo: A new combined finite discrete element numerical code for geomechanical applications", J. Geomech., 12(6), 676-688. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0000216
- Mendoza, J.A., Gamwo, I.K., Zhang, W. and Lin, J.S. (2010), "Discrete element modeling of rock cutting usng crushable particles", Proceedings of the 44th U.S. Rock Mechanics Symposium and 5th U.S.-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium, Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A., June.
- Mendoza, J.A., Gamwo, I.K., Zhang, W. and Lin, J.S. (2011), "Considerations for discrete modeling of rock cutting", Proceedings of the 45th U.S. Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium, San Francisco, California, U.S.A., June.
- Menezes, P.L., Lovell, M.R., Avdeev, I.V. and Higgs, C.F. (2014), "Studies on the formation of discontinuous rock fragments during cutting operation", J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 71, 131-142.
- Menezes, P.L., Lovell, M.R., Avdeev, I.V., Lin, J.S. and Higgs, C.F. (2014), "Studies on the formation of discontinuous chips during rock cutting using an explicit finite element model", J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., 70(1-4), 635-648. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-013-5309-y
- Onate, E. and Rojek, J. (2004) "Combination of discrete element and finite element methods for dynamic analysis of geomechanics problems", Comput. Met. Appl. Mech. Eng., 193(27), 3087-3128. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2003.12.056
- Richard, T. (1999), "Determination of rock strength from cutting tests", M.Sc. Dissertaion, University of Minnesota, Minnesota, U.S.A.
- Richard, T., Detournay, E., Drescher, A., Nicodeme, P. and Fourmaintraux, D. (1998), "The scratch test as a means to measure strength of sedimentary rocks", Proceedings of the SPE/ISRM Rock Mechanics in Petroleum Engineering, Trondheim, Norway, July.
- Rojek, J., Onate, E., Labra, C. and Kargl, H. (2011), "Discrete element simulation of rock cutting", J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 48(6), 996-1010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2011.06.003
- Shimada, S. and Ikawa, N. (1998), Molecular Dynamics Analysis of Nanometric Metal Cutting Mechanism, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 63-75.
- Stavropoulou, M. (2006), "Modeling of small-diameter rotary drilling tests on marbles", J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 43(7),1034-1051. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2006.03.008
- Su, O., and Akcin, N.A. (2011), "Numerical simulation of rock cutting using the discrete element method", J. Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 48(3), 434-442. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrmms.2010.08.012
- Tan, Q., Xu, Z., Xia, Y., Li, J.F., Zhu, Y. and Liu, C. (2013), "Numerical simulation of dynamic response mechanism of rock by shield machine cutters", Chin. J. Geotech. Eng., 35(2), 235-242.
- Xu, W.J., Li, C.Q. and Zhang, H.Y. (2015), "DEM analyses of the mechanical behavior of soil and soil-rock mixture via the 3D direct shear test", Geomech. Eng., 9(6), 815-827. https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.9.6.815