- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Systematic Review on Nurse-Led Transitional Care Programs for Discharged Patients from Hospital to Home
퇴원환자를 위한 간호사 주도 전환 프로그램의 내용과 효과에 관한 체계적 문헌고찰
- Lee, Hyun Joo (College of Nursing, Graduate School, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Yukyung (Korea Armed Forces Nursing Academy) ;
- Oh, Eui Geum (College of Nursing.Mo-Im Kim Nursing Research Institute.Yonsei Evidence Based Nursing Center of Korea: A Joanna Briggs Institute Center of Excellence, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.09.29
- Accepted : 2017.11.08
- Published : 2017.12.31
Purpose: This study was to systematically review the contents and effects of nurse-led transitional care programs for discharged patients from hospital to home. Methods: Randomized controlled trials published between 2005 and 2015 were searched in Pubmed, Embase, Cochrane(Central Register of Controlled Trials) and CINAHL. Data were analyzed using Cochrane Review Manager(Revman) software 5.3. Results: Nine studies were selected and analyzed. Patient assessment, education and discharge planning were included in pre-discharge phase. Referring, communication and care planning were performed by nurses in transition phase. Home and phone visits, monitoring and multidisciplinary advices were included in post-discharge phase. Various outcome measures such as hospital utilization(30 days readmission and emergency department visit), quality of life, and cost were used to identify effectiveness of nurse-led transitional care programs. 30 days readmission(OR=.73, 95% CI 0.54, 0.98; p=.03) and emergency department visit(OR=.67, 95% CI 0.50, 0.88; p=.005) were statistically significant in meta-analysis. However, participant blinding was not done in seven studies which put at the risk of performance bias. Conclusion: The results indicated that nurse-led transitional care program is effective in reducing unnecessary hospital utilization. Nevertheless, small sample size and risk at performance bias are the limitation of this study. Thus, we suggest that well-designed randomized controlled trials need to be conducted.
Supported by : 한국보건산업진흥원
- Korean Statistical Information Service. Total discharged patient [Internet]. Daejeon: Korean Statistical Information Service; 2017 [cited 2017 January 12]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parmTabId=M_01_01#SubCont.
- Lee HY. Development and utilization of domestic readmission evaluation model. Paper presented at Seeking a new paradigm in Korean public health system: Korean Academy of Health Policy and Management Conference; 2016 November 3-4; Suwon Ramada hotel. Suwon, Gyeonggi-do.
- Lee JH, Kim YM, Kang SH. A study patient management for both planned and unplanned readmission in a medium-size hospital. Health Service Management Review. 2008;2(1):11-17.
- Lee EW, Yu SH, Lee HJ, Kim SI. Factors associated with unplanned hospital readmission. Korean Journal of Hospital Management. 2010;15(4):125-142.
- Moon OR, Kang SH, Lee EP, Jwa YK, Lee HS. An analysis on the characteristics high cost patients in the regional medical insurance program. Korean Journal of Health Policy and Administration. 1993;3(1):53-83.
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC). A path to bundled payment around a rehospitalization. Report to the congress: Reforming the delivery system[Internet]. Washington D.C: Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (Med- PAC); 2008 [cited January 12]. Available from: http://126.96.36.199/chapters/Jun08_Ch04.pdf.
- Holland DE, Mistiaen P, Bowles KH. Problems and unmet needs of patients discharged "home to self-care". Professional Case Management. 2011;16(5):240-250. https://doi.org/10.1097/ncm.0b013e31822361d8 https://doi.org/10.1097/NCM.0b013e31822361d8
- Cho KH, Kim KH. A families's burden on a cerebrovascular accident patient and the demand for nursing home. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education. 2006; 12(1):95-103.
- Park KM, Kim CN, Park MH, Kim HR, Sin AM. Effects of home visiting care program for patients with diabetes mellitus provided by public health center. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing. 2010;24(1):71-81.
- Yang SO, Kwon MS, Choi YJ, Lee SH. The effects of a case management program of customized home visiting health service for clients with arthritis. Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing. 2011;22(2):151-161. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.2.151 https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.2.151
- Chow Sk, Wong Fk. A randomized controlled trial of a nurseled case management programme for hospital-discharged older adults with co-morbidities. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2014; 70(10):2257-2271. https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12375 https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.12375
- McAlister FA, Grover S, Padwal RS, Youngson E, Fradette M, Thompson A, et al. Case management reduces global vascular risk after stroke: Secondary results from the preventing recurrent vascular events and neurological worsening through intensive organized case-management randomized controlled trial. American Heart Journal. 2014;168(6):924-930. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2014.08.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2014.08.001
- Arts SE, Francke AL, Hutten JB. Liaison nursing for stroke patients: Results of a dutch evaluation study. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2000;32(2):292-300. http://dx.doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01476.x https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2000.01476.x
- Hall CJ, Peel NM, Comans TA, Gray LC, Scuffham PA. Can post-acute care programmes for older people reduce overall costs in the health system? a case study using the Australian transition care programme. Health and Social Care in the Community. 2011;20(1):97-102. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2524.2011.01024.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2524.2011.01024.x
- Naylor MD, Bowles KH, McCauley KM, Maccoy MC, Maislin G, Pauly MV, et al. High-value transitional care: Translation of research into practice. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. 2013;19(5):727-733. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2011.01659.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2011.01659.x
- Higgins JPT, Green S. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0 [Internet]. United Kingdom: The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011[cited 2017 June 10]. Available from: http://handbook-5-1.cochrane.org/.
- Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: The PRI SMA statement. British Medical Journal, 2009;339:b2535. http://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b2535 https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.b2535
- Kim S, Song JA, Kim ME, Hur MH. Effects of aromatherapy on menopausal symptoms, perceived stress and depression in middle-aged women: A systematic review. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2016;46(5):619-629. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.5.619 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.5.619
- Jung KW, Won YJ, Kong HJ, Oh CM, Seo HG, Lee JS. Cancer statistics in Korea: Incidence, mortality, survival and prevalence in 2010. Cancer Research and Treatment. 2013;45(1):1-14. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2013.45.1.1 https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2013.45.1.1
- Korean statistical information service. Deaths and death rates by cause (103 item)/by sex/by age (five-year age) [Internet]. Daejeon: Korean statistical information service; 2015[cited 2017 January 12]. Available from: http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parentId=D#SubCont.
- Paul CL, Cameron E, Doran C, Hill D, Macrae F, Carey ML, et al. Experiences of colorectal cancer patients in the 2-years post-diagnosis and patient factors predicting poor outcome. Support Care Cancer. 2016;24(12):4921-4928. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-016-3348-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-016-3348-2
- National Priorities Partnership. National Priorities Goals [Internet]. Washington, DC: National Quality Forum; 2008[cited 2016 August 1]. Available from: https://www.qualityforum.org/Setting_Priorities/NPP/National_Priorities_Partnership_Goals.aspx.
- Weiss ME, Bobay KL, Bahr SJ, Costa L, Hughes RG, Holland DE. A model for hospital discharge preparation form case management to care transition. The Journal of Nursing Administration. 2015;45(12):606-614. https://doi.org/10.1097/nna.0000000000000273 https://doi.org/10.1097/NNA.0000000000000273
- Goncalves-Bradley DC, Lannin NA, Clemson LM, Cameron ID, Shepperd S. Discharge planning from hospital. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 1. Art. No.: CD 000313. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd000313.pub5
- Mistiaen P, Poot E. Telephone follow-up, initiated by a hospital- based health professional, for postdischarge problems in patients discharged from hospital to home. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD004510. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd004510.pub3
- Halfon P, Eggli Y, van Melle G, Chevalier J, Wasserfallen JB, Burnand B. Measuring potentially avoidable hospital readmissions. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2002;55(6):573-587. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0895-4356(01)00521-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-4356(01)00521-2
- Wong FKY, Ho MM, Yeung S, Tam SK, Chow SK. Effects of a health-social partnership transitional program on hospital readmission: A randomized controlled trial. Social Science and Medicine. 2011;73(7):960-969. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.06.036 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2011.06.036
- Jacob L, Poletick EB. Systematic review: Predictors of successful transition to community-based care for adults with chronic care needs. Care Management Journals. 2008;9(4):154-165. https://doi.org/10.1891/1521-09188.8.131.52 https://doi.org/10.1891/1521-09184.108.40.206
- Latour CH, Bosmans JE, van Tulder MW, de Vos R, Huyse FJ, de Jonge P, et al. Cost-effectiveness of a nurse-led case management intervention in general medical outpatients compared with usual care: An economic evaluation alongside a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2007;62(3):363-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2006.10.016 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2006.10.016