- Volume 33 Issue 4
Scientific CubeSat with Instruments for Global Magnetic Fields and Radiations (SIGMA) is a 3-U size CubeSat that will be operated in low earth orbit (LEO). The SIGMA communication system uses a very high frequency (VHF) band for uplink and an ultra high frequency (UHF) band for downlink. Both frequencies belong to an amateur band. The ground station that communicates with SIGMA is located at Kyung Hee Astronomical Observatory (KHAO). For reliable communication, we carried out a laboratory (LAB) test and far-field tests between the CubeSat and a ground station. In the field test, we considered test parameters such as attenuation, antenna deployment, CubeSat body attitude, and Doppler frequency shift in transmitting commands and receiving data. In this paper, we present a communication performance test of SIGMA, a link budget analysis, and a field test process. We also compare the link budget with the field test results of transmitting commands and receiving data.
CubeSat;SIGMA;satellite communication system;ground station;link budget;field test
- Balanis CA, Antenna theory: analysis and design (John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, 2005).
- Blaunstein N, Levin M, VHF/UHF wave attenuation in a city with regularly spaced buildings, Radio Sci. 31, 313-323 (1996). http://dx.doi.org/10.1029/95RS01990 https://doi.org/10.1029/95RS01990
- Klofas B, CubeSat communications system table [Internet], cited 2016 Jun 15, available from: http://www.klofas.com/comm-table/
- Klofas B, Leveque K, A survey of CubeSat communication systems: 2009-2012, in 10th Annual CubeSat Developers Workshop 2013, San Luis Obispo, CA, 24-26 Apr 2013.
- Lee HS, Satellite communication theory and system (Bogdoo Press, Seoul, 2013).
- Lim YH, Shin HT, Lim JH, Choi SS, Satellite communication techniques (Hyunwoosa, Seoul, 2009).
- Maini AK, Agrawal V, Satellite technology: principals and applications (John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 2007).
- Maral G, Bousquet M, Sun Z, Satellite communications systems: systems, techniques and technology (John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, 2009).
- Meng YS, Lee YH, Ng BC, Empirical near ground path loss modeling in a forest at VHF and UHF bands, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 57, 1461-1468 (2009). http://dx.doi. org/10.1109/TAP.2009.2016703 https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2009.2016703
- Moon BY, Kim YH, Chang YK, Development of HAUSAT-1 picosatellite communication subsystem as a test bed for small satellite technology, Int. J. Aeronaut. Space Sci. 5, 6-18 (2004). http://dx.doi.org/10.5139/ijass.2004.5.1.006 https://doi.org/10.5139/ijass.2004.5.1.006
- Nam UW, Park WK, Lee J, Pyo J, Moon BK, et al., Calibration of TEPC for CubeSat experiment to measure space radiation, J. Astron. Space Sci. 32, 145-149 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.5140/jass.2015.32.2.145 https://doi.org/10.5140/JASS.2015.32.2.145
- Puig-Suari J, Turner C, Twiggs RJ, CubeSat: The development and launch support infrastructure for eighteen different satellite customers on one launch, in 15th Annual AIAA/ USU Conference on Small Satellites, Logan, UT, 13-16 Aug 2001.
- Straub J, CubeSats: a low-cost, very high-return space technology, in AIAA Reinventing Space Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 7-10 May 2012.
- Toyoshima M, Yamakawa S, Yamawaki T, Arai K, Garcia- Talavera MR, et al., Long-term statistics of laser beam propagation in an optical ground-to-geostationary satellite communications link, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. 53, 842-850 (2005). http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2004.841329 https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2004.841329
- Yoon NY, Study on communication system of CINEMA, Master Dissertation, Kyung Hee University (2012).
- Spectrum Allocation With Asymmetric Monopoly Model for Multibeam-Based Cognitive Satellite Networks vol.6, pp.2169-3536, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2797278
Supported by : National Research Foundation