- Volume 29 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Muscle Energy Technique (MET) for Peroneal Nerve Palsy after Normal Delivery: A Case Report
자연분만 후 발생한 비골신경마비 환자에 대한 Muscle Energy Technique(MET)의 병행치료 효과 증례보고
- Received : 2016.10.21
- Accepted : 2016.11.16
- Published : 2016.11.25
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to evaluate the clinical effects of Muscle Energy Technique (MET) for peroneal nerve palsy after normal delivery. Methods: Two patients with peroneal nerve palsy were treated with acupuncture, moxibustion, cupping and MET. MET was performed in piriform, gluteus medius, anterior tibial and adductor muscles. To evaluate the effect of MET, we analyzed Ankle dorsiflexion range of motion (ROM), Manual Muscle Test (MMT), Numerical Rating Scale (NRS) and Ankle Hindfoot Scale (AHS). Results: In Case 1, ROM score was changed from −5 to 20, and MMT score was changed from 0 to 4. NRS score was changed from 5 to 1, and her AHS score was changed from 54 to 94 after treatment. In Case 2, ROM score was changed from 0 to 20, and her MMT score was changed from 1 to 5. NRS score was changed from 4 to 1, and her AHS score was changed from 64 to 97 after treatment. Conclusions: MET may be a useful treatment for patients who, shortly after childbirth or while breastfeeding, strongly refuse to treat the irritation.
Muscle Energy Technique;Normal Delivery;Peroneal Nerve Palsy;Lithotomy Position;Korean Medicine
- Warner MA, et al. Lower extremity motor neuropathy associated with surgery performed on patients in a lithotomy position. Anesthesiology. 1994;81:6-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542-199407000-00004
- Sawyer RJ, et al. Peripheral nerve injuries associated with anaesthesia. Anaesthesia. 2000;55:980-91. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2044.2000.01614.x
- Based Institute for Natural Society. Mosby’s Dictionary. 1st rev. Seoul: Hyeonmunsa. 2002:766.
- David JM. Orthopedic physical therapy diagnostics. 1st rev. Seoul:Hyeonmunsa. 1998:805.
- Park WS, et al. Clinical Study on 2 Cases of Patients of Common Peroneal Nerve Palsy(Foot Drop) Improved by Motion Style Treatment. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2005;6(1):119-26.
- Kim MS, et al. Case Report of Korean Medical Treatment on Acute Peroneal Nerve Palsy Patient Caused by Prolonged Immobilization. JORM. 2015;25(3):127-36.
- Kim SH, et al. Case Study of Oriental Medicine Treatment with Acupotomy Therapy of the Peroneal Nerve Palsy through Ultrasound Case Report. Journal of Pharmacopuncture. 2011;14(1):87-95. https://doi.org/10.3831/KPI.2011.14.1.087
- Chu MG, et al. A Clinical Case Study of Foot Drop Caused by Common Peroneal Neuropathy(CPN). JORM. 2007;17(3):217-30.
- Han DN, et al. A Case Report of Foot Drop in Soyangin Improved with Sukjiwhanggosam-tang. J Sasang Constitut Med. 2009;21(1):270-7.
- Choi JH, et al. A Case Report on Foot Drop Caused by Common Peroneal Nerve Palsy. Journal of Oriental Neuropsychiatry. 2004;15(1):149-53.
- Kim JA, et al. A Clinical study on Sitting Cross-Legged Patient Diagnosed as Peroneal Neuropathy. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2014;9(1):77-87.
- Korean society Chuna manual medicine for spine and nerves. Chuna manual medicine. 2nd rev. Seoul:Korean society Chuna manual medicine for spine and nerves. 2013:3-5.
- Kim SJ, et al. The Impacts of Muscle Energy Technique(MET) and Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation(TENS) Performed on Elector Spinae Muscle of Acute Low Back Pain Patients on Pain and Meridian Electromyography. JORM. 2014;24(1):83-92.
- Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. The acupuncture and moxibustion medicine. 1st rev. Paju:Hanmimedicime. 2015:200, 625-9.
- Cuthbert SC, Goodheart GJ Jr. On the reliability and validity of manual muscle testing: a literature review. Chiropractic & Osteopathy. 2007;15(4):24-37.
- Lee JH, et. al. A Clincal Case Study of Lumbosacral Plexopathy Following Labour Heavy Burden and Drinking. JORM. 2002;13(1):151-60.
- Seoul National University Hospital Publication. Medical resident Hand Book. 1st rev. Seoul:Seoul National University Medical Publish. 1994:499.
- Society for Meridian and Acupoint. Practice of acupuncture; A guidebook for college student. 7th rev. Deajeon: Jongryeonamu publishing Co. 2015: 278-88, 396, 410.
- The Korean Academy of Oriental Rehabilitation Medical society. Rehabilitation Medicine. 2nd rev. Paju: Hanmimedicime. 2011:207-12.
- Ahn JM, et al. The Clinical Study of Muscle Energy Technique(MET) Performed on Sternocleidomastoid Muscle of Acute Nuchal Pain Patients on Meridian Electromyography. JORM. 2014;24(1):93-100.
- Ahn MS, et al. A Case Report of Frozen Shoulder with Muscular Acupuncture and Muscle Energy Technique. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2009; 4(2):137-48.
- Hong KE. Comprehension of Embedding Therapy Through Meridian Muscle System-Focused on Face. The Acupuncture. 2008;25(3):215-9.
- Chung JH, et al. Seven Cases Report on the Foot Drop Patients with Herniated Intervertebral Lumbar Disc by Muscle Energy Technique & Korean Traditional Medicine Therapy. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2014; 9(1):27-37.
- Kim SJ, et al. A Clinical Case Study of Common Peroneal Nerve Palsy(Foot Drop)after Natural Childbirth. JORM. 2000;10(2):27-36.