- Volume 36 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Meat Quality and Fatty Acid Composition of Longissimus Muscles from Purebred Pigs and Three-way Crossbred LYD Pigs
- Choi, Yeong-Seok ;
- Lee, Jin-Kyu ;
- Jung, Ji-Taek ;
- Jung, Young-Chul ;
- Jung, Jong-Hyun ;
- Jung, Myung-Ok ;
- Choi, Yang-Il ;
- Jin, Sang-Keun ;
- Choi, Jung-Seok
- Received : 2016.06.29
- Accepted : 2016.10.10
- Published : 2016.10.31
This study was conducted to find pork quality to meet the needs of consumers. Thus, the meat quality and fatty acid composition of longissimus muscles from purebred pigs (Landrace, Yorkshire, and Duroc) and three-way crossbred LYD pigs were compared and evaluated. Chemical compositions of longissimus muscles were significant (p<0.05) different among pigs. Duroc contained significant (p<0.05) higher fat contents than other pigs, whereas significant (p<0.05) higher moisture contents were observed in Landrace, Yorkshire, and LYD pigs compared to those of Duroc pigs. The values of pH24 h and pH14 d were the highest in Landrace pigs. Myoglobin contents of LYD pigs were higher (p<0.05) than those of purebred pigs. Regarding meat color, Duroc and Yorkshire pigs had higher redness values than Landrace and LYD pigs, while Landrace pigs had the lowest (p<0.05) color values among all pigs. There was no significant difference in shear force or water holding capacity (WHC). Duroc pigs maintained the lowest drip loss during 14 d of cold storage. In sensory evaluation, the marbling scores of Duroc pigs were higher (p<0.05) than other pigs. Regarding fatty acid compositions, total USFA, poly-, n-3, and n-6 contents were the highest (p<0.05) in LYD pigs, while total SFA contents were the highest (p<0.05) in Duroc pigs. Based on these results, purebred pigs had superior overall meat quality to crossbred pigs.
purebred pigs;crossbred pigs;meat quality;fatty acid composition
- Aaslyng, M., Kerry, J., and Ledward, D. (2002) Quality indicators for raw meat. Meat processing: improving quality: Woodhead Publishing Ltd., pp. 157-174.
- Alonso, V., Campo, M. d. M., Español, S., Roncalés, P., and Beltrán, J. A. (2009) Effect of crossbreeding and gender on meat quality and fatty acid composition in pork. Meat Sci. 81, 209-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.07.021
- Alonso, V., Muela, E., Gutiérrez, B., Calanche, J. B., Roncalés, P., and Beltrán, J. A. (2015) The inclusion of Duroc breed in maternal line affects pork quality and fatty acid profile. Meat Sci. 107, 49-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.04.011
- AOAC. (2000) Official methods of analysis MD, Gaithersburg.
- Cameron, N. D. and Enser, M. B. (1991) Fatty acid composition of lipid in longissimus dorsi muscle of Duroc and british landrace pigs and its relationship with eating quality. Meat Sci. 29, 295-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(91)90009-F
- Cameron, N. D., Warriss, P. D., Porter, S. J., and Enser, M. B. (1990) Comparison of Duroc and British Landrace pigs for meat a and eating quality. Meat Sci. 27, 227-247. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(90)90053-9
- Choe, J., Choi, Y., Lee, S., Shin, H., Ryu, Y., Hong, K. C., and Kim, B. C. (2008) The relation between glycogen, lactate content and muscle fiber type composition, and their influence on postmortem glycolytic rate and pork quality. Meat Sci. 80, 355-362. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.12.019
- Department of Health. (1994) Nutritional aspects of cardiovascular disease. Report on Health and Social Subjects No. 46.
- Edwards, S., Wood, J., Moncrieff, C., and Porter, S. (1992) Comparison of the Duroc and large white as terminal sire breeds and their effect on pigmeat quality. Anim. Prod. Sci. 54, 289-297. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100036928
- Fernandez, X., Forslid, A., and Tornberg, E. (1994) The effect of high post-mortem temperature on the development of pale, soft and exudative pork: Interaction with ultimate ph. Meat Sci. 37, 133-147. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90150-3
- Folch, J., Lees, M., and Sloane-Stanley, G. (1957) A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497-509.
- Gandhi, V. P. and Zhou, Z. (2014) Food demand and the food security challenge with rapid economic growth in the emerging economies of India and China. Food Res. Int. 63, Part A:108-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2014.03.015
- Jin, S., Kim, I., Hur, S., Kim, S., and Jeong, K. (2006) The influence of pig breeds on qualities of loin. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 48, 747-758. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.5.747
- Kang, H.-S., Seo, K.-S., Kim, K.-T., and Nam, K.-C. (2011) Comparison of pork quality characteristics of different parts from domesticated pig species. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 31, 921-927. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.6.921
- Krzywicki, K. (1982) The determination of haem pigments in meat. Meat Sci. 7, 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(82)90095-X
- Laakkonen, E., Wellington, G., and Sherbon, J. (1970) Low-temperature, long-time heating of bovine muscle 1. Changes in tenderness, water-binding capacity, ph and amount of water-soluble components. J. Food Sci. 35, 175-177. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1970.tb12131.x
- Lee, J. and Joo, S. (1999) Effects of slaughter weight on back-fat thickness, intramuscular fat and physical properties of pork loin from barrow. Kor. J. Anim. Sci. 41, 207-214.
- Lee, S. H., Choe, J. H., Choi, Y. M., Jung, K. C., Rhee, M. S., Hong, K. C., Lee, S. K., Ryu, Y. C., and Kim, B. C. (2012) The influence of pork quality traits and muscle fiber characteristics on the eating quality of pork from various breeds. Meat Sci. 90, 284-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.07.012
- Lepage, G. and Roy, C. C. (1986) Direct transesterification of all classes of lipids in a one-step reaction. J. Lipid Res. 27, 114-120.
- Lonergan, S. M., Stalder, K. J., Huff-Lonergan, E., Knight, T. J., Goodwin, R. N., Prusa, K. J., and Beitz, D. C. (2007) Influence of lipid content on pork sensory quality within ph classification. J. Anim. Sci. 85, 1074-1079. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-413
- Mancini, R. A. and Hunt, M. C. (2005) Current research in meat color. Meat Sci. 71, 100-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.03.003
- Meinert, L., Christiansen, S. C., Kristensen, L., Bjergegaard, C., and Aaslyng, M. D. (2008) Eating quality of pork from pure breeds and dly studied by focus group research and meat quality analyses. Meat Sci. 80, 304-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.12.021
- Mörlein, D., Link, G., Werner, C., and Wicke, M. (2007) Suitability of three commercially produced pig breeds in Germany for a meat quality program with emphasis on drip loss and eating quality. Meat Sci. 77, 504-511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.04.030
- Newcom, D. W., Stalder, K. J., Baas, T. J., Goodwin, R. N., Parrish, F. C., and Wiegand, B. R. (2004) Breed differences and genetic parameters of myoglobin concentration in porcine longissimus muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 82, 2264-2268. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.8282264x
- Papanagiotou, P., Tzimitra-Kalogianni, I., and Melfou, K. (2013) Consumers' expected quality and intention to purchase high quality pork meat. Meat Sci. 93, 449-454. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2012.11.024
- Ruusunen, M., Puolanne, E., Sevon-Aimonen, M.-L., Partanen, K., Voutila, L., and Niemi, J. (2012) Carcass and meat quality traits of four different pig crosses. Meat Sci. 90, 543-547. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.09.010
- Ryu, Y. C., Choi, Y. M., Lee, S. H., Shin, H. G., Choe, J. H., Kim, J. M., Hong, K. C., and Kim, B. C. (2008) Comparing the histochemical characteristics and meat quality traits of different pig breeds. Meat Sci. 80, 363-369. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.12.020
- Sans, P. and Combris, P. (2015) World meat consumption patterns: An overview of the last fifty years (1961-2011). Meat Sci. 109, 106-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2015.05.012
- SAS, P. (2003) Windows version 9.1. 3. SAS Institute Inc.: Cary, NC.
- Serrano, M. P., Valencia, D. G., Nieto, M., Lázaro, R., and Mateos, G. G. (2008). Influence of sex and terminal sire line on performance and carcass and meat quality of iberian pigs reared under intensive production systems. Meat Sci. 78, 420-428. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.07.006
- Straadt, I. K., Aaslyng, M. D., and Bertram, H. C. (2013) Sensory and consumer evaluation of pork loins from crossbreeds between danish landrace, yorkshire, Duroc, iberian and mangalitza. Meat Sci. 95, 27-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.04.026
- Suzuki, K., Shibata, T., Kadowaki, H., Abe, H., and Toyoshima, T. (2003) Meat quality comparison of berkshire, Duroc and crossbred pigs sired by berkshire and Duroc. Meat Sci. 64, 35-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00134-1
- Verbeke, W., Van Oeckel, M. J., Warnants, N., Viaene, J., and Boucque, C. V. (1999) Consumer perception, facts and possibilities to improve acceptability of health and sensory characteristics of pork. Meat Sci. 53, 77-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00036-4
- Wood, J., Richardson, R., Nute, G., Fisher, A., Campo, M., Kasapidou, E., Sheard, P., and Enser, M. (2004) Effects of fatty acids on meat quality: A review. Meat Sci. 66, 21-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00022-6
- Wu, L., Wang, S., Zhu, D., Hu, W., and Wang, H. (2015). Chinese consumers’ preferences and willingness to pay for traceable food quality and safety attributes: The case of pork. China Econ. Rev. 35, 121-136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chieco.2015.07.001
- Zhu, X., Ruusunen, M., Gusella, M., Zhou, G., and Puolanne, E. (2011) High post-mortem temperature combined with rapid glycolysis induces phosphorylase denaturation and produces pale and exudative characteristics in broiler pectoralis major muscles. Meat Sci. 89, 181-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.04.015
- Age at castration (surgical or immunological) impacts carcass characteristics and meat quality of male pigs 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731117002063
- Phenotypic Analysis of BrdU Label-Retaining Cells during the Maturation of Conducting Airway Epithelium in a Porcine Lung vol.2019, pp.1687-9678, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/7043890
Grant : 생명자원 부가가치 제고기술
Supported by : 정피엔씨연구소