- Volume 36 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Gaeddongssuk (Artemisia annua L.) Powder on Quality and Shelf Stability of Emulsion Sausages during Refrigerated Storage
- Ham, Hyoung-Joo ;
- Kang, Geun-Ho ;
- Choi, Yun-Sang ;
- Jeong, Tae-Jun ;
- Hwang, Ko-Eun ;
- Kim, Cheon-Jei
- Received : 2015.12.10
- Accepted : 2016.07.11
- Published : 2016.10.31
The objective of this study was to evaluate effects of Gaeddongssuk powder (GP) on quality characteristics and shelf stability of emulsion sausages during storage. Proximate composition properties showed no significant differences in all treatment (p>0.05). Control showed the highest cooking loss while the treatment with GP showed decreased cooking loss depending on increasing GP content (p<0.05). Apparent viscosity of batter was increased as the amount of GP increased, whereas hardness of emulsion sausages was decreased with increasing GP level. In sensory evaluation, emulsion sausage with 0.1% GP resulted in the highest score in overall acceptability. The pH values of all treatments decreased at the early storage stage, followed by gradual increase. The lightness and redness of treatments were decreased when the level of GP was increased. However, the yellowness of sausages with GP were higher than that of control (p<0.05). The addition of GP inhibited lipid oxidation of emulsion sausages during storage depending on its level. The aerobic bacteria population and VBN was unaffected by addition of GP during the storage (p>0.05). Therefore, Gaeddongssuk powder up to 0.1% has a potential as a natural antioxidant for meat products because it can inhibit lipid oxidation of sausages without decreasing their sensory properties.
Gaeddongssuk (Artemisia annua L.);emulsion sausage;quality characteristics;shelf stability
- Aktas, N. and Genccelep, H. (2006) Effect of starch type and its modifications on physicochemical properties of bolognatype sausage produced with sheep tail fat. Meat Sci. 74, 404-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.012
- Anderson, S. (2007) Determination of fat, moisture, and protein in meat and meat products by using the FOSS FoodScan near-infrared spectrophotometer with FOSS artificial neural network calibration model and associated database: Collaborative study. J. AOAC Inter. 90, 1073-1082.
- Bower, C. K., Schike, K. F., and Dawschel, M. A. (2003) Antimicrobial properties of raisins in beef jerky preservation. J. Food Sci. 68, 1484-1489. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2003.tb09671.x
- Branen, A. L. (1975) Toxicological and biochemistry of butylated hydroxyanisole and butylated hydroxyltoluene. JAOCS. 52, 59-63. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02901825
- Brisibe, E. A., Umoren, U. E., Brisibe, F., Magalhaes, P. M., Ferreira J. F. S., Luthria, D., Wu. X., and Prior, R. L. (2009) Nutritional characterization and antioxidant capacity of different tissues of Artemisia annua L. Food Chem. 115, 1240-1246. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.01.033
- Choi, Y. J., Park, H. S., Park, K. S., Lee, K. S., Moon, Y. H., Kim, M. J., and Jung, I. H. (2012) Quality characteristics of pork patty containing lotus root and leaf powder. J East Asian Soc. Dietary Life. 22, 33-40.
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Jeong, J. Y., Chung, H. J., and Kim, C. J. (2010a) Effects of replacing pork back fat with vegetable oils and rice bran fiber on the quality of reduced-fat frankfurters. Meat Sci. 84, 557-563. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.10.012
- Choi, Y. S., Jeong, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Paik, H. D., and Kim, C. J. (2007) Effect of packaging methods on the quality properties of stick type restructured jerky. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 27, 290-298. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.3.290
- Choi, Y. S., Park, K. S., Choi, J. H., Kim, H. W., Song, D. H., Kim, J. M., Chung, H. J., and Kim, C. J. (2010b) Physicochemical properties of chicken meat emulsion systems with dietary fiber extracted from makgeolli lees. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 30, 910-917. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.6.910
- Conway, E. J. and Byrne, A. (1933) An absorption apparatus for the micro-determination of certain volatile substances: The micro-determination of ammonia. Biochem. J. 27, 419-429.
- Dogan, S. F., Sahin, S., and Sumnu, G. (2005) Effects of soy and rice flour addition on batter rheology and quality of deepfat fried chicken nuggets. J. food Eng. 71, 127-132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2004.10.028
- Han, M. O. (2010) Physicochemical properties of marinated ground pork added with bamboo shoots and changes of their product qualities during refrigerated storage. MS thesis, Chonnam National Univ., Gwangju, Korea.
- Horton, A. A., Fairhurst, S., and Bus, J. S. (1987) Lipid peroxidation and mechanisms of toxicity. CRC Crit. Rev. Toxicol. 18, 27-79. https://doi.org/10.3109/10408448709089856
- Huang, X., Lv, R., Yao, L., Guan, C., Han, F., and Teye, E. (2015) Non-destructive evaluation of total volatile basic nitrogen (TVB-N) and K-values in fish using colorimetric sensor array. Anal. Methods 7, 1615-1621. https://doi.org/10.1039/C4AY02623C
- Hwang, S. H., Kim, J. I., and Sung, C. J. (1996) Analysis dietary fiber content of some vegetable, mushrooms, fruits and seaweeds. J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. 29, 89-96.
- Iqbal, S., Younas, U., Chan, K. W., Zia-Ul-Haq, M., and Ismail, M. (2012) Chemical composition of Artemisia annua L. leaves and antioxidant potential of extracts as a function of extraction solvents. Molecules 17, 6020-6032. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules17056020
- Jeon, S. Y., Baek, J. H., Jeong, E. J., and Cha, Y. J. (2012) Potential of onion peel extract as a functional ingredient for functional foods. J. Life Sci. 22, 1207-1213. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.9.1207
- Jung, B. S., Lee, B. K., Shim, S. T., and Lee, J. K. (1989) Effect of the volatile constituents of mugwort seed extract on the growth microorganism. Korean J. Dietary Culture 4, 417-424.
- Jung, I. C., Kang, S. J., Kim, M. S., Yang, J. B., and Moon, Y. H. (2003) Effects of carcass grade and addition of mugwort powder on the storage stability of pork sausage. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 23, 285-291.
- Kang, J. R., Lee, S. J., Hwang, C. R., Shin, J., Kang, M. J., and Sung, N. J. (2012) Optimization of extraction conditions for mixing beverage development of black garlic and gaeddongssuk by response surface methodology J. Agric Life Sci. 46, 139-149.
- Kang, K. M. and Lee S. H. (2013) Effects of extraction methods on the antioxidative activity of Artemisia sp.. J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. 48, 1249-1254.
- Kim, H. W., Choi, J. H., Choi, Y. S., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Shim, S. Y., and Kim, C. J. (2009) Effects of wheat fiber and isolated soy protein on the quality characteristics of frankfurter-type sausages. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 29, 475-481. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2009.29.4.475
- Kim, Y. S. (2011) Effect of the addition method of mugwort on antioxidant effect, total plate counts, and residual nitrite content of emulsified sausages during cold storage. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 31, 122–128. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.1.122
- Laguerre, M., Lecomte, J., and Villeneuve, P. (2007) Evaluation of the ability of antioxidants to counteract lipid oxidation: Existing methods, new trends and challenges. Prog. Lipid Res. 46, 244-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plipres.2007.05.002
- Langlosis, B. E. and Kemp, J. D. (1974) Microflora of fresh and dry-cured hams and affected by fresh ham storage. J. Ani. Sci. 38, 525-528. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1974.383525x
- Lee, G. D., Kim, J. S., Bas O. J., and Yoon, H. S. (1992) Antioxidative effectiveness of water extract and extract in wormwood (Artemisa montana Pampan). J. Korean Soc. Food Nutr. 21, 17-22.
- Lee, H. J., Lee, S. J., Kim, I. S., Oh, S. J., Kim, J. G., and Sung, N. J. (2014) effect of dietary supplementation of Gaeddongssuk (Artemisia annua L.) on the meat quality in the chicken (Woorimatdag). J. Agric. Life Sci. 46, 139-149.
- Lee, J. R., Jung J. D., Hah, Y. J., Lee, J. W., Lee J. I., Kim, K. S., and Lee, J. D. (2004) Effects of addition of mugwort powder on the quality characteristics of emulsion-type sausage. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 46, 209-216. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.2.209
- Lee, J. Y. and An, B. J. (2010) Whitening and anti-wrinkle effects of Prunus persica Flos. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 53, 154-161. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2010.028
- Lee, Y. C., Oh, S. W., and Hong, H. D. (2002) Antimicrobial characteristics of edible medicinal Herbs Extracts. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 34, 700-709.
- Moon, Y. H., Kang, S. J., Kim, Y. K., Yang, J. B., Jung, I. C., and Hyon, J. S. (2003) Effects of addition of mugwort powder and carcass grade on the quality characteristics of pork patty. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 23, 97-102.
- Nottingham, P. M. (1982) Microbiology of carcass meats. In: Meat Microbiology. Brown, M. H. (Ed.) Applied science publishers, London, pp. 13-65.
- Nuria, G. M., Maria Isabel, A. S., and Olga, M. B. (1999) Characterisation of low-fat high-dietary fibre frankfurters. Meat Sci. 52, 257-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00174-0
- Okonkwo, T. M., Obanu, Z. A., and Ledward, D. A. (1992) Characteristics of some intermediate moisture smoked meats. Meat Sci. 31, 135-145. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(92)90033-Z
- Pikul, J., Leszczynski, D. E., and Kummerow, F. A. (1989) Evaluation of three modified TBA method for measuring lipid oxidation in chicken meat. J. Agric. Food Chem. 37, 1309-1313. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00089a022
- Räth, K., Taxis, K., Walz, G., Gleiter, C. H., Li, S. M., and Heide, L. (2004) Pharmacokinetic study of artemisinin after oral intake of a traditional preparation of Artemisia annua L. (annual wormwood). Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 70, 128-132.
- Ryu, I. H. and Kwon, T. O. (2012) The antioxidative effect and ingredients of oil extracted from Schizandra chinensis seed. Korean J. Med. Crop Sci. 20, 63-71. https://doi.org/10.7783/KJMCS.2012.20.1.063
- Seo, H. W., Kang, G. H., Cho, S. H., Ba, H. V., and Seong, P. N. (2015) Quality properties of sausages made with replacement of pork with corn starch, chicken breast and surimi during refrigerated storage. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 35, 638-645. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2015.35.5.638
- Terasaki, M., Kajikawa, M., Fujita, E., and Ishii, K. (1965) Studies on the flavor of meats. Agric. Biol. Chem. 29, 208-215.
- Towler, M. J. and Weathers, P. J. (2015) Variations in key artemisinic and other metabolites throughout plant development in Artemisia annua L. for potential therapeutic use. Ind. Crops Prod. 67, 185-191. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2015.01.007
- Turner, A. W. (1954) Bacterial oxidation of arsenite. I. Description of bacteria isolated from arsenical cattle-dipping fluids. Austral. J. Biol. Sci. 7, 452-478. https://doi.org/10.1071/BI9540452
- Weathers, P. J., Arsenault, P. R., Covello, P. S., McMickle, A., Teoh, K. H., and Reed, D. W. (2011) Artemisinin production in Artemisia annua: Studies in planta and results of a novel delivery method for treating malaria and other neglected diseases. Phytochem. Rev. 10, 173-183. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11101-010-9166-0
- Witte, V. C., Krause, G. F., and Bailey, M. E. (1970) A new extraction method for determining 2-thiobarbituric acid values of pork. Food Technol. 8, 326.
- Zanardi, E., Ghidini, S., Battaglia, S., and Chizzolini, R. (2004) Lypolysis and oxidation in fermented sausage depending on different processing condition and different antioxidants. Meat Sci. 66, 415-423. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(03)00129-3