- Volume 32 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Pathotype Classification of Plasmodiophora brassicae Isolates Using Clubroot-Resistant Cultivars of Chinese Cabbage
- Kim, Hun (Center for Eco-friendly New Materials, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology) ;
- Jo, Eun Ju (Center for Eco-friendly New Materials, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology) ;
- Choi, Yong Ho (Center for Eco-friendly New Materials, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology) ;
- Jang, Kyoung Soo (Center for Eco-friendly New Materials, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology) ;
- Choi, Gyung Ja (Center for Eco-friendly New Materials, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology)
- Received : 2016.04.10
- Accepted : 2016.07.07
- Published : 2016.10.01
Clubroot disease caused by Plasmodiophora brassicae is one of the most serious diseases in Brassica crops worldwide. In this study, the pathotypes of 12 Korean P. brassicae field isolates were determined using various Chinese cabbage including 22 commercial cultivars from Korea, China, and Japan, and 15 inbred lines. All P. brassicae isolates exhibited the typical clubroot disease on non-clubroot resistant cultivar, indicating that the isolates were highly pathogenic. According to the reactions on the Williams' hosts, the 12 field isolates were initially classified into five races. However, when these isolates were inoculated onto clubroot-resistant (CR) cultivars of Chinese cabbage, several isolates led to different disease responses even though the isolates have been assigned to the same race by the Williams' host responses. Based on the pathogenicity results, the 12 field isolates were reclassified into four different groups: pathotype 1 (GN1, GN2, GS, JS, and HS), 2 (DJ and KS), 3 (HN1, PC, and YC), and 4 (HN2 and SS). In addition, the CR cultivars from Korea, China, and Japan exhibited distinguishable disease responses to the P. brassicae isolates, suggesting that the 22 cultivars used in this study, including the non-CR cultivars, are classified into four different host groups based on their disease resistance. Combining these findings, the four differential hosts of Chinese cabbage and four pathotype groups of P. brassicae might provide an efficient screening system for resistant cultivars and a new foundation of breeding strategies for CR Chinese cabbage.
Supported by : Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (MAFRA), Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries (MOF), Rural Development Administration (RDA), Korea Forest Services (KFS), National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- Buczacki, S. T., Toxopeus, H., Mattusch, P., Johnston, T. D., Dixon, G. R. and Hobolth, L. A. 1975. Study of physiologic specialization in Plasmodiophora brassicae: proposals for attempted rationalization through an international approach. Trans. Br. Mycol. Soc. 65:295-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0007-1536(75)80013-1
- Cho, W. D., Kim, W. G. and Takahashi, K. 2003. Occurrence of clubroot in cruciferous vegetable crops and races of the pathogen in Korea. Plant Pathol. J. 19:64-68. https://doi.org/10.5423/PPJ.2003.19.1.064
- Dixon, G. R. 2009. The occurrence and economic impact of Plasmodiophora brassicae and clubroot disease. J. Plant Growth Regul. 28:194-202. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00344-009-9090-y
- Hatakeyama, K., Fujimura, M., Ishida, M. and Suzuki, T. 2004. New classification method for Plasmodiophora brassicae field isolates in Japan based on resistance of F1 cultivars of Chinese cabbage (Brassica rapa L.) to clubroot. Breed. Sci. 54:197-201. https://doi.org/10.1270/jsbbs.54.197
- Hirai, M., Harada, T., Kubo, N., Tsukada, M., Suwabe, K. and Matsumoto, S. 2004. A novel locus for clubroot resistance in Brassica rapa and its linkage markers. Theor. Appl. Genet. 108:639-643. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-003-1475-x
- Honig, F. 1931. Der Kohlkropferreger. (Plasmodiophora brassicae Wor.) Eine Monographie. Gartenbauwissen. 5:116-225.
- Hwang, S. F., Strelkov, S. E., Feng, J., Gossen, B. D. and Howard, R. J. 2012. Plasmodiophora brassicae: a review of an emerging pathogen of the Canadian canola (Brassica napus) crop. Mol. Plant Pathol. 13:105-113. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1364-3703.2011.00729.x
- Jo, S. J., Shim, S. A., Jang, K. S., Choi, Y. H., Kim, J. C. and Choi, G. J. 2011. Resistance of cultivars of Chinese cabbage to Plasmodiophora brassicae isolates of several races collected in Korea. Korean J. Hortic. Sci. Technol. 29:610-616 (in Korean).
- Jones, D. R., Ingram, D. S. and Dixon, G. R. 1982. Characterization of isolates derived from single resting spores of Plasmodiophora brassicae and studies of their interaction. Plant Pathol. 31:239-246. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3059.1982.tb01274.x
- Kuginuki, Y., Yoshikawa, H. and Hirai, M. 1999. Variation in virulence of Plasmodiophora brassicae in Japan tested with clubroot resistance cultivars of Chinese cabbage (Brassica rapa L. spp. pekinensis). Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 105:327-332. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008705413127
- Manzanares-Dauleux, M. J., Divaret, I., Baron, F. and Thomas, G. 2001. Assessment of biological and molecular variability between and within field isolates of Plasmodiophora brassicae. Plant Pathol. 50:165-173. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3059.2001.00557.x
- Parlevliet, J. E. 1985. Resistance of the non-race-specific type. In: The cereal rusts, eds. by A. P. Roelfs and W. R. Bushnell, pp. 501-525. Academic Press, Orlando, FL, USA.
- Piao, Z. Y., Deng, Y. Q., Choi, S. R., Park, Y. J. and Lim, Y. P. 2004. SCAR and CAPS mapping of CRb, a gene conferring resistance to Plasmodiophora brassicae in Chinese cabbage (Brassica rapa ssp. pekinensis). Theor. Appl. Genet. 108:1458-1465. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-003-1577-5
- Piao, Z., Ramchiary, N. and Lim, Y. P. 2009. Genetics of clubroot resistance in Brassica species. J. Plant Growth Regul. 28:252-264. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00344-009-9093-8
- Rahman, H., Peng, G., Yu, F., Falk, K. C., Kulkarni, M. and Selvaraj, G. 2014. Genetics and breeding for clubroot resistance in Canadian spring canola (Brassica napus L.). Can. J. Plant Pathol. 36:122-134. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2013.862571
- Some, A., Manzanares, M. J., Laurens, F., Baron, F., Thomas, G. and Rouxel, F. 1996. Variation for virulence on Brassica napus L. amongst Plasmodiophora brassicae collections from France derived from single-spore isolates. Plant Pathol. 45:432-439. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3059.1996.d01-155.x
- Strehlow, B., de Mol, F. and Struck, C. 2014. History of oilseed rape cropping and geographic origin affect the genetic structure of Plasmodiophora brassicae populations. Phytopathology 104:532-538. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-07-13-0210-R
- Strelkov, S. E. and Hwang, S. F. 2014. Clubroot in the Canadian canola crop: 10 years into the outbreak. Can. J. Plant Pathol. 36:27-36. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2013.863807
- Suwabe, K., Tsukazaki, H., Iketani, H., Hatakeyama, K., Fujimura, M., Nunome, T., Fukuoka, H., Matsumoto, S. and Hirai, M. 2003. Identification of two loci for resistance to clubroot (Plasmodiophora brassicae Woronin) in Brassica rapa L. Theor. Appl. Genet. 107:997-1002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00122-003-1309-x
- Voorrips, R. E. 1995. Plasmodiophora brassicae: aspects of pathogenesis and resistance in Brassica oleracea. Euphytica 83:139-146. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01678041
- Voorrips, R. E. 1996. Production, characterization and interaction of single-spore isolates of Plasmodiophora brassicae. Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 102:377-383. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01878132
- Williams, P. H. 1966. A system for the determination of races of Plasmodiophora brassicae that infect cabbage and rutabaga. Phytopathology 56:624-626.
- Wit, F. and van de Weg, M. 1964. Clubroot resistance in turnips (Brassica campestris L.). I. Physiological races of the parasite and their identification in mixtures. Euphytica 13:9-18. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00037512
- Xue, S., Cao, T., Howard, R. J., Hwang, S. F. and Strelkov, S. E. 2008. Isolation and variation in virulence of single-spore isolates of Plasmodiophora brassicae from Canada. Plant Dis. 92:456-462. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-92-3-0456
- Zhang, H., Feng, J., Zhang, S., Zhang, S., Li, F., Strelkov, S. E., Sun, R. and Hwang, S. F. 2015. Resistance to Plasmodiophora brassicae in Brassica rapa and Brassica juncea genotypes from China. Plant Dis. 99:776-779. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-08-14-0863-RE
- Detection of Ribosomal DNA Sequence Polymorphisms in the Protist Plasmodiophora brassicae for the Identification of Geographical Isolates vol.18, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms18010084
- Screening of Resistance of Introduced Kimchi Cabbage (Brassica rapa subsp. pekinensis) Germplasm from Asian areas to Plasmodiophora brassicae Isolates Collected in Korea. vol.30, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12719/KSIA.2018.30.4.305
- Mapping of a novel clubroot resistance QTL using ddRAD-seq in Chinese cabbage (Brassica rapa L.) vol.19, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12870-018-1615-8