- Volume 11 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Strengthening of hollow brick infill walls with expanded steel plates
- Cumhur, Alper (Civil Engineering Department, Sakarya University) ;
- Altundal, Adil (Civil Engineering Department, Sakarya University) ;
- Aykac, Sabahattin (Civil Engineering Department, Gazi University) ;
- Aykac, Bengi (Civil Engineering Department, Gazi University)
- Received : 2015.03.02
- Accepted : 2016.10.19
- Published : 2016.11.25
An efficient, economical and practical strengthening method for hollow brick infill walls was proposed and investigated in the present study, experimentally and numerically. This method aims at increasing the overall lateral strength and stiffness of the structure by increasing the contribution of the infill walls and providing the non-bearing components of the structure with the capability of absorbing earthquake-induced energy to minimize structural damage during seismic excitations. A total of eleven full-scale infill walls strengthened with expanded mild steel plates were tested under diagonal monotonic loading to simulate the loading condition of the non-bearing walls during an earthquake. The contact surface between the plates and the wall was increased with the help of plaster. Thickness of the plates bonded to both faces of the wall and the spacing of the bolts were adopted as test parameters. The experiments indicated that the plates were able to carry a major portion of the tensile stresses induced by the diagonal loads and provided the walls walls with a considerable confining effect. The composite action attained by the plates and the wall until yielding of the bolts increased the load capacities, rigidities, ductilities and energy-absorption capacities of the walls, considerably.
Supported by : Sakarya University
- Acun, B. and Sucuoglu, H. (2005), "Tuela dolgu duvarli cercevelerin hasir donati ile guclendirilmesi", Earthquake Symposium, Kocaeli, Turkey, August. (in Turkish)
- Araki, H., Yasojima, A. and Kagawa, J. (2011), "Strenght of masonry walls retrofitted with epoxy resin injection", Appl. Mech. Mater., 82, 545-550. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.82.545
- ASTM E519/E519M-10 (2010), Standard test method for diagonal tension (shear) in masonry assemblages, American Society for Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Aykac S., Kalkan I. and Seydanlioelu M. (2014), "Strengthening of hollow brick infill walls with perforated steel plates", Earthq. Struct., 6(2), 181-199. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.2.181
- Altin, S., Anil, O., Kara, M.E. and Kaya, M. (2008), "An experimental study on strengthening of masonry infilled RC frames using diagonal CFRP strips", Compos. Part B: Eng., 39(4), 680-693. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2007.06.001
- Baran, M., Tankut, T. (2011), "Experimental Study on Seismic Strengthening of Reinforced Concrete Frames by Precast Concrete Panels", ACI Struct. J., 108(2), 227-237.
- Baran, M. (2012), "Investigation of the effects of infill walls on the behavior of reinforced concrete framed structures", J. Fac. Eng. Archit. Gazi Uni., 27(2), 275-284.
- Baran, M., Aktas, M. and Aykac, S. (2014), "Sivanmis tuela dolgu duvarlarin serit beton/betonarme panellerle guclendirilmesi", J. Fac. Eng. Archit. Gazi Uni., 29(1), 22-23. (in Turkish)
- Bu, C., Li, Y. and Salih, O.A. (2011), "Experimental study on seismic behavior of masonry walls retrofitted using epoxy resin injection", Appl. Mech. Mater., 94-96, 1373-1377. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.94-96.1373
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN) (2003), Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance - Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings, European Committee for Standardization (CEN), Brussels.
- El-Dakhakhni, W.W., Hamid, A.A., Hakam, Z.H.R. and Elgaaly, M. (2006), "Hazard mitigation and strengthening of unreinforced masonry walls using composites", Compos. Struct., 73(4), 458-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.02.017
- ElGawady, M.A., Lestuzzi, P. and Badoux, M. (2006), "Retrofitting of masonry walls using shotcrete", Proceedings of New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering Conference, Napier, New Zealand, March.
- Erdem, I., Akyuz, U., Ersoy, U. and Ozcebe, G. (2006), "An experimental study on two different strengthening techniques for RC frames", Eng. Struct., 28(13), 1843-1851. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.03.010
- Farooq, S.H., Ilyas, M. and Ghaffar, A. (2006), "Technique for strengthening of masonry wall panels using steel strips", Asian J. Civ. Eng., 7(6), 621-638.
- FEMA 306 (1998), Evaluation of earthquake damaged concrete and masonry wall buildings, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Redwood City, California, USA.
- Hamidreza, T. and Soodeh, A. (2014), "Effect of brick infill panel on the seismic safety of reinforced concrete frames under progressive collapse", Comp. Concrete, 13(6), 749-764. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.13.6.749
- Kahn, L.F. (1984), "Shotcrete retrofit for unreinforced brick masonry", Proceedings of 8th World Congress on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, CA, USA, July.
- Marjani, F. and Ersoy, U. (2002), "Behavior of brick infilled reinforced concrete frames under reversed cyclic loading", Proceedings of the ECAS2002 International Symposium on Structural and Earthquake Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, October.
- Ozbek, E. and Can, H. (2012), "Dolgu tuela duvarlarin celik profillerle guclendirilmesi", J. Fac. Eng. Archit. Gazi Uni., 27(4), 921-929. (in Turkish)
- Ozcebe, G., Ersoy, U., Tankut, T., Erduran, E., Keskin, R.S.O. and Mertol, H.C. (2003), "Strengthening of brick infilled RC frames with CFRP", SERU-Structural Engineering Research Unit, Report No. 2003/1, TUBITAK-METU, Ankara, Turkey.
- Papanicolaou, C.G., Triantafillou, T.C., Karlos, K. and Papathanasiou, M. (2007), "Textile-reinforced mortar (TRM) versus FRP as strengthening material of URM walls: In-plane cyclic loading", Mater. Struct., 40(10), 1081-1097. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-006-9207-8
- Papanicolaou, C.G., Triantafillou, T.C., Papathanasiou, M. and Karlos, K. (2008), "Textile-reinforced mortar (TRM) versus FRP as strengthening material of URM walls: Out-of-plane cyclic loading", Mater. Struct., 41(1), 143-157.
- Papanicolaou, C.G., Triantafillou, T.C. and Lekka, M. (2011), "Externally bonded grids as strengthening and seismic retrofitting materials of masonry panels", Construct. Buil. Mater., 25(2), 504-514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.07.018
- Prota, A., Marcari, G., Fabbrocino, G., Manfredi, G. and Aldea, C. (2006), "Experimental in-plane behavior of tuff masonry strengthened with cementitious matrix-grid composites", J. Compos. Construct., ASCE, 10(3), 223-233. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2006)10:3(223)
- Saneinejad, A. and Hobbs, B. (1995), "Inelastic design of infilled frames", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 121(4), 634-650. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:4(634)
- Sayin, B. and Kaplan, S.A. (2005), "Deprem etkisi altindaki betonarme yapilarda dolgu duvarlarin modellenme teknikleri", Earthquake Symposium, Kocaeli, Turkey, August. (in Turkish)
- Sevil, T., Baran, M., Bilir, T. and Canbay, E. (2011), "Use of steel fiber reinforced mortar for seismic strengthening", Construct. Build. Mat., 25(2), 892-899. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.096
- Taghdi, M., Bruneau, M. and Saatcioglu, M. (2000a), "Seismic retrofitting of low-rise masonry and concrete walls using steel strips", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 126(9), 1017-1025. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:9(1017)
- Taghdi, M., Bruneau, M. and Saatcioglu, M. (2000b), "Analysis and design of low-rise masonry and concrete walls retrofitted using steel strips", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 126(9), 1026-1032. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:9(1026)
- Topcu, I., B., Isikdae, B., Tatar, O., Abi, E., "Depremde Hasar Gormus Binalarin Ferrocement Panellerle Guclendirilmesi", Earthquake Symposium, Kocaeli, Turkey, August. (in Turkish)
- Triantafillou, T.C. (1998), "Strengthening of masonry structures using epoxy-bonded FRP laminates", J. Compos. Construct., ASCE, 2(2), 96-104. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(1998)2:2(96)
- Triantafillou, T.C. and Papanicolaou, C.G. (2006), "Shear strengthening of reinforced concrete members with textile reinforced mortar (TRM) jackets", Mater. Struct., 39(1), 93-103. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11527-005-9034-3
- Triantafillou, T.C., Papanicolaou, C.G., Zissimopoulos, P. and Laourdekis, T. (2006), "Concrete confinement with textile-reinforced mortar jackets", ACI Struct. J., 103(1), 28-37.
- Vandergrift, J., Gergely, J. and Joung, D.T. (2002), "CFRP retrofit of masonary walls", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Composites in Infrastructure (ICCI 02), San Francisco, CA, USA, June.
- Xingke, F. (2008), "Investigation on the influence of infilled wall on the seismic performance of reinforced concrete frame structures", M.E. Thesis, Lanzhou University of Technology, Lanzhou, Gansu, China.