- Volume 11 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Consistency of the rapid assessment method for reinforced concrete buildings
- Isik, Ercan (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, Bitlis Eren University)
- Received : 2016.01.21
- Accepted : 2016.10.24
- Published : 2016.11.25
Determination of earthquake-safety of existing buildings requires a rather long and challenging process both in terms of time and expertise. In order to prevent such a tedious process, rather rapid methods for evaluating buildings were developed. The purpose of these rapid methods is to determine the buildings that have priority in terms of risk and accordingly to minimize the number of buildings to be inspected. In these rapid evaluation methods detailed information and inspection are not required. Among these methods the Canadian Seismic scanning method and the first stage evaluation method included in the principles concerning the determination of risk-bearing buildings promulgated by the Ministry of Environment and Urbanization in Turkey are used in the present study. Within the scope of this study, six reinforced concrete buildings damaged in Van earthquakes in Turkey are selected. The performance scores of these buildings are calculated separately with the mentioned two methods, and then compared. The purpose of the study is to provide information on these two methods and to set forth the relation they have between them in order to manifest the international validity.
- Ahmed, M.M., Jahan, I. and Alam, M.J. (2014), "Earthquake vulnerability assessment of existing buildings in cox's-bazar using field survey & GIS", Int. J. Eng., 3(8), 1147-1156.
- Alam, N., Alam, M.S. and Tesfamariam, S. (2012), "Buildings' seismic vulnerability assessment methods: a comparative study", Nat. Haz., 62(2), 405-424. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-011-0082-4
- Altiner, M. (2008), "Deprem etkisindeki betonarme binalarin gocme riskinin saptanmasi iCin hizli degerlendirme yontemleri", Ph.D. Thesis, Istanbul Kultur Universitesi, 68p.
- Barka, A. and Kadinsky-Cade, K. (1988), "Strike-slip fault geometry in Turkey and its influence on earthquake activity", Tectonics, 7(3), 663-684. https://doi.org/10.1029/TC007i003p00663
- Borcherdt, R.D. (1990), "Influence of local geology in the San Fransisco bay region California on ground motions generated 1990, by the Loma Prieta earthquake of October 17, 1989", Proceedings of International Symposium on Safety of Urban Life and Facilities, Tokyo, Japan.
- Chever, L. (2012), "Use of seismic assessment methods for planning vulnerability reduction of existing building stock", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering-WCEE, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Celik, C.O., Ilki, A., Yalcin, C. and Yuksel, E. (2007), "Dogu ve Bati Avrupa kentlerinde degisik tip binalarin deprem riskinin hizli degerlendirmesi uzerine bir deneyim", Sixth National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey, October.
- DRBB (Determination of Risk-Bearing Buildings) (2013), Afet riski altindaki alanlarin donusturulmesi hakkinda kanunun uygulama yonetmeliginde degisiklik yapilmasina dair yonetmelik. Turkiye Cevre ve Sehircilik Bakanligi, Turkey.
- Foo, S., Naumoski, N. and Cheung, M. (2002), "Seismic risk reduction of existing buildings", accessed July 20. ftp://188.8.131.52/pub/SEISMIC/canada_taiwan_2002.pdf
- Foo, S. and Davenport, A. (2003), "Seismic hazard mitigation for buildings", Nat. Haz., 28(2-3), 517-536. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022950629065
- Isik, E. (2013), "The evaluation of existing buildings in Bitlis province using a visual screening method", Suleyman Demirel Univ. J. Nat. Appl. Sci., 17(1), 173-178.
- Jain, S.K., Mitra, K., Kumar, M. and Shah, M. (2010), "A proposed rapid visual screening procedure for seismic evaluation of RC-frame buildings in India", Earthq. Spectra, 26(3), 709-729. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.3456711
- McClusky, S., Balassanian, S., Barka, A., Demir, C., Ergintav, S., Georgiev, I., Gurkan, O., Hamburger, M., Hurst, K., Kahle, H., Kastens, K., Nadariya, M., Ouzouni, A., Paradissis, D., Peter, Y., Prilepin, M., Reilinger, R., Sanli, I., Seeger, H., Tealeb, A., Toksoz, M.N. and Veis, G. (2000), "GPS constraints on plate kinematics and dynamics in the Eastern Mediterranean and Caucasus", J. Geophys. Res.: Solid Earth, 105(B3), 5695-5719. https://doi.org/10.1029/1999JB900351
- McKevitt, W.E., Timler, P.A.M. and Lo, K.K. (1995), "Nonstructural damage from the Northridge earthquake", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 22, 428-437. https://doi.org/10.1139/l95-051
- NRRC (National Research Council of Canada) (1993), Manual for screening of buildings for seismic investigation, Canadian Standard. Ottowa: National Research Council of Canada.
- Reilinger, R., McClusky, S., Vernant P., Lawrence, S., Ergintav, S., Cakmak, R., Ozener, H., Kadirov, F., Guliev, I., Stepanyan, R., Nadariya, M., Hahubia, G., Mahmoud, S., Sakr, K., ArRajehi, A., Paradissis, D., Al-Aydrus, A., Prilepin, M., Guseva, T., Evren, E., Dmitrotsa, A., Filikov, S.V., Gomez, F., Al-Ghazzi, R. and Karam, G. (2006), "GPS constraints on continental deformation in the Africa-Arabia-Eurasia continental collision zone and implications for the dynamics of plate interactions", J. Geophys. Res.: Solid Earth, 111(B5), 1978-2012.
- Srikanth, T., Kumar, R.P., Singh, A.P., Rastogi, B.K. and Kumar, S. (2010), "Earthquake vulnerability assessment of existing buildings in Gandhidham and Adipur cities Kachchh, Gujarat (India)", Euro. J. Sci. Res., 41(3), 336-353.
- Sucuoglu, H. (2007), "A screening procedure for seismic risk assessment in urban building stocks", Sixth National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Sengor, A.M.C., Gorur, N. and Saroglu, F. (1985), "Strike-slip deformation, basin formation and sedimentation: strike-slip faulting and related basin formation in zones of tectonic escape: Turkey as a case study", Soc. Eco. Paleontol. Mineral., Spec. Publication, 37, 227-264.
- Tischer, H., Mitchell, D. and McClure, G. (2011), "Comparison of seismic screening methods for schools in a moderate seismic zone", Proceedings of the COMPDYN.
- Tischer, H., McClure, G. and Mitchell, D. (2012), "Development of a seismic vulnerability assessment method for schools in Eastern Canada", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering-WCEE, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Turkish Earthquake Code (2007), Turkish earthquake code-specification for structures to be built in disaster areas, Turkey.
- Ulutas, H. (2012), "Seismic hazard analysis of Van City in Turkey", Master Thesis, Sakarya University.
- Utkucu, M., Durmus, H., Yalcin, H., Budakoglu, E. and Isik, E. (2013), "Coulomb static stress changes before and after the 23 October 2011 Van, eastern Turkey, earthquake (MW = 7.1): implications for the earthquake hazard mitigation", Nat. Haz. Earth Syst. Sci., 13(7), 1889-1902. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-13-1889-2013
- Utkucu, M, Budakoglu, E., Yalcin, H., Durmus, H., Gulen, L. and Isik, E. (2014), "Seismotectonic characteristics of the 23 October 2011 Van (Eastern Anatolia) earthquake (Mw=7.1)", Bull. Earth Sci. Appl. Res. Centre of Hacettepe Univ., 35(2), 141-168.
- Tesfamariam, S. and Liu, Z. (2010), "Earthquake induced damage classification for reinforced concrete buildings", Struct. Saf., 32(2), 154-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2009.10.002