- Volume 11 Issue 5
Reinforced concrete buildings constitute the majority of the building stock of Turkey and much of them, do not comply the earthquake codes. Recently there is a great tendency for strengthening to heal their earthquake performance. The performance evaluations are usually executed by the numerical investigations performed in computer packages. However, the numerical models are often far from representing the real behaviour of the existing buildings. In this condition, experimental modal analysis fills a gap to correct the numerical models to be used in further analysis. On the other hand, there have been a few dynamic tests performed on the existing reinforced concrete buildings. Especially forced vibration survey is not preferred due to the inherent difficulties, high cost and probable risk of damage. This study applies both ambient and forced vibration surveys to investigate the dynamic properties of a six-story residential building in Istanbul. Mode shapes, modal frequencies and damping ration were determined. Later on numerical analysis with finite element method was performed. Based on the first three modes of the building, a model updating strategy was employed. The study enabled to compare the results of ambient and forced vibration surveys and check the accuracy of the numerical models used for the performance evaluation of the reinforced concrete buildings.
- Altunisik, A.C., Bayraktar, A., Sevim, B. and Ozdemir, H. (2011), "Experimental and analytical system identification of Eynel arch type steel highway bridge", J. Constr. Steel Res., 67(12), 1912-1921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2011.06.008
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) (2008), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318- 08) and Commentary, ACI Committee 318, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Aras, F., Krstevska, L., Altay, G. and Taskov, L. (2011), "Experimental and numerical modal analyses of a historical masonry palace", Constr. Build. Mater., 25(1), 81-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.06.054
- Arslan, M.E. and Durmus, A. (2013), "Finite element model updating of infilled RC frames with low strength concrete using ambient vibration test", Earthq. Struct., 5(1), 111-127. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.1.111
- Arslan, M.H. and Korkmaz, H.H. (2007), "What is to be learned from damage and failure of reinforced concrete structures during recent earthquakes in Turkey?", Eng. Fail. Anal., 14(1), 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2006.01.003
- Ates, S., Kahya, V., Yurdakul, M. and Adanur, S. (2013), "Damages on reinforced concrete buildings due to consecutive earthquakes in Van", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 53, 109-118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2013.06.006
- Cavaleri, L. and Trapani, F.D. (2014), "Cyclic response of masonry in-filled RC frames: Experimental results and simplified modeling", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 65, 224-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2014.06.016
- Chopra, A.K. (2007), Dynamics of structures, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Gentile, G. and Saisi, A. (2007), "Ambient vibration testing of historic masonry towers for structural identification and damage assessment", Constr. Build. Mater., 21(6), 1311-1321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2006.01.007
- Gentile, C. and Saisi, A. (2013), "Operational modal testing of historic structures at different levels of excitation", Constr. Build. Mater., 48, 1273-1285 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.01.013
- Guler, K., Yuksel, E. and Kocak, A. (2008), "Estimation of the fundamental vibration period of existing RC buildings in Turkey utilizing ambient vibration records", J. Earthq. Eng., 12(2), 140-150. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632460802013909
- Haktanir, T., Kara, H.B., Altun, F. and Ozdemir, H. (2000), "Earthquake performance assessment and retrofit project of DMO buildings in Istanbul", Erciyes University Report No: B.30.2.ERC.045/03-2000.gt.018, Kayseri. (In Turkish)
- Inman, D.J. (2013), Engineering Vibration - 4th Edition, Prentice Hall, New Jersey.
- Ivanovic, S.S., Trifunacb, M.D., Novikovac, E.I., Gladkovc, A. and Todorovska, M.I. (2000), "Ambient vibration tests of a seven-story reinforced concrete building in Van Nuys, California, damaged by the 1994 Northridge Earthquake", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng., 19(6), 391-411. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0267-7261(00)00025-7
- Kaltakci, M.Y., Arslan, M.H., Korkmaz, H.H. and Ozturk, M. (2007), "An investigation on failed or damaged reinforced concrete structures under their own-weight in Turkey", Eng. Fail. Anal., 14(6), 962-969. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2006.12.005
- Kose, M.M. (2009), "Parameters affecting the fundamental period of RC buildings with infill walls", Eng. Struct., 31(1), 93-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.07.017
- Lourenco, P.B., Vasconcelos, G., Medeiros, P. and Gouveia, J. (2010), "Vertically perforated clay brick masonry for loadbearing and non-loadbearing masonry walls", Constr. Build. Mater., 24(11), 2317-2330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.04.010
- Matlab, (2012), The MathWorks, Inc., Natick, Massachusetts, United States.
- Min, Z.H. and Sun, L.M. (2013), "Wavelet-based structural modal parameter identification", Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 20(2), 121-138. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.474
- Nateghi-A, F. (1997), "Seismic upgrade design of a low-rise steel building", Eng. Struct., 19(11), 954-963. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(97)00002-3
- SAP2000 (2012), Structural analysis program-integrated finite element analysis and design of structures, Analysis Reference, Berkeley, California.
- Sevim, B., Altunisik, A.C. and Bayraktar, A. (2012), "Earthquake behavior of Berke arch dam using ambient vibration test results", J. Perform. Constr. Facil., 26(6), 780-792. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000264
- Soyoz, S., Taciroglu, E., Orakcal, K., Nigbor, R., Skolnik, D., Lus, H. and Safak, E. (2013), "Ambient and forced vibration testing of a reinforced concrete building before and after its seismic retrofitting", J. Struct. Eng., 139(10), 1741-1752. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000568
- Peeters, B. and De Roeck, G. (2001), "Stochastic system identification for operational modal analysis: a review", J. Dyn. Syst., Measure., Control, 123(12), 659-667. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1410370
- Tischer, H., Mitchell, D. and McClure, G. (2012), Ambient Vibration Measurements of Dynamic Properties of School Buildings in Montreal, Quebec, Proceedings of the 43rd Structures Congress, Chicago, Illinois 2279-2290.
- Baloevic, G., Radnic, J. and Harapin, A. (2013), "Numerical dynamic tests of masonry-infilled RC frames", Eng. Struct., 50, 43-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2012.11.034
- Ambient vibration testing of existing buildings: Experimental, numerical and code provisions vol.10, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1687814018772718