- Volume 29 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Different Coefficients and Exponents for Metabolic Body Weight in a Model to Estimate Individual Feed Intake for Growing-finishing Pigs
- Lee, S.A. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Kong, C. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University) ;
- Adeola, O. (Department of Animal Sciences, Purdue University) ;
- Kim, B.G. (Department of Animal Science and Technology, Konkuk University)
- Received : 2016.06.01
- Accepted : 2016.08.11
- Published : 2016.12.01
Estimation of feed intake (FI) for individual animals within a pen is needed in situations where more than one animal share a feeder during feeding trials. A partitioning method (PM) was previously published as a model to estimate the individual FI (IFI). Briefly, the IFI of a pig within the pen was calculated by partitioning IFI into IFI for maintenance (
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Baker, D. H. 1986. Problems and pitfalls in animal experiments designed to establish dietary requirements for essential nutrients. J. Nutr. 116:2339-2349. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/116.12.2339
- Harris, A. J., J. F. Patience, S. M. Lonergan, C. J. M. Dekkers, and N. K. Gabler. 2012. Improved nutrient digestibility and retention partially explains feed efficiency gains in pigs selected for low residual feed intake. J. Anim. Sci. 90:164-166. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.53855
- Kil, D. Y., B. G. Kim, and H. H. Stein. 2013. Invited review: Feed energy evaluation for growing pigs. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 26:1205-1217. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.r.02
- Kim, B. G. and M. D. Lindemann. 2007. A new spreadsheet method for experimental animal allotment. J. Anim. Sci. 85(Suppl. 2):112.
- Kim, B. G., M. D. Lindemann, G. L. Cromwell, A. Balfagon, and J. H. Agudelo. 2007. The correlation between passage rate of digesta and dry matter digestibility in various stages of swine. Livest. Sci. 109:81-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.082
- Lindemann, M. D. and B. G. Kim. 2007. Technical note: A model to estimate individual feed intake of swine in group feeding. J. Anim. Sci. 85:972-975. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-412
- Noblet, J., C. Karege, S. Dubois, and J. van Milgen. 1999. Metabolic utilization of energy and maintenance requirements in growing pigs: effects of sex and genotype. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1208-1216. https://doi.org/10.2527/1999.7751208x
- NRC (National Research Council). 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 10th rev. edn. Natl. Acad. Press. Washington, DC, USA.
- NRC (National Research Council). 2012. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 11th rev. edn. Natl. Acad. Press. Washington, DC, USA.
- Turner, S. P., D. J. Allcroft, and S. A. Edwards. 2003. Housing pigs in large social groups: a review of implications for performance and other economic traits. Livest. Prod. Sci. 82:39-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(03)00008-3